GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Speedometer Error

bh36913

Passed Driver's Ed
I posted this in another section and realize I should probably be asking Golf R owners. My co-worker has a brand new Golf R that has a speedo discrepancy. When the car shows say 55 MPH, two different GPS's show 57-58 MPH. I have never seen a car with speedo error in the direction that could cause you to get a ticket.

Anyone else have this issue? My GTI's speedo is dead on or just a touch optimistic.

He asked if the dealer could calibrate and I am not sure but I thought I would get some input from you guys first.

Thanks!

KLEEMANN1

Passed Driver's Ed
I posted this in another section and realize I should probably be asking Golf R owners. My co-worker has a brand new Golf R that has a speedo discrepancy. When the car shows say 55 MPH, two different GPS's show 57-58 MPH. I have never seen a car with speedo error in the direction that could cause you to get a ticket.

Anyone else have this issue? My GTI's speedo is dead on or just a touch optimistic.

He asked if the dealer could calibrate and I am not sure but I thought I would get some input from you guys first.

Thanks!

Welcome to the grey area. If you are getting a min of 4 SATs your speed might actually be as accurate as +/- 1/10th on an MPH. Maybe. Less SATs, and the possible error goes way up. If the R has factory rims and tires the displayed error should be on "safety's side", you did not mention what the car has for wheels and tires. Calibration of the speedo display value is possible with VCDS or by a dealer. The speedo in my R agrees quite nicely with Colorado State Trooper radar.

bh36913

Passed Driver's Ed
Welcome to the grey area. If you are getting a min of 4 SATs your speed might actually be as accurate as +/- 1/10th on an MPH. Maybe. Less SATs, and the possible error goes way up. If the R has factory rims and tires the displayed error should be on "safety's side", you did not mention what the car has for wheels and tires. Calibration of the speedo display value is possible with VCDS or by a dealer. The speedo in my R agrees quite nicely with Colorado State Trooper radar.

His car is brand new with the stock 19" wheels. I will refer him to the dealer. Thanks for the input. And not to sound so stupid but I cannot for the life of me figure out what you mean by SATs

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion

KLEEMANN1

Passed Driver's Ed
His car is brand new with the stock 19" wheels. I will refer him to the dealer. Thanks for the input. And not to sound so stupid but I cannot for the life of me figure out what you mean by SATs

Sorry- satellites. Just be sure the GPS device you were/are using has a good signal from at least 4 satellites before you go to the dealer for a possible phantom issue.

Last edited:

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
According to a pull over and DoT highway construction area radar "your speed" signs, my speedometer is spot on. I trust those speed radars more than I would gps derived speed. If I was him I would find a flat stretch of highway, set the cruise on 60mph then time a mile or more.

champignon

Ready to race!
Mine has always matched phone gps exactly. Most other cars I've been in read higher than gps.

I have tested my R with phone gps apps quite a few times and it is spot on with the stock summer tires and slightly optimistic (around 1 mph) with my winter tires on 18" rims.

Some manufacturers, especially some German ones, intentionally overstate the mph on the speedometer, supposedly as a "safety feature." BMW and Porsche are known for this.

In the case of BMW, I have one older one (2000 Z3M Coupe) which is spot on. I also have 3, 1-Series vehicles that all read "optimistic," from 2 to 6 mph, depending on the speed the car is traveling at. This is intentional on the part of the mfr., dealers know about this, and dealers will refuse to code this out due to liability concerns.

There is a simple android (and presumably also ios) app from a company called "Carly" that can be used with an OBD 2 gadget from them, for coding purposes on BMWs. You can code out the intentional overstating of mph on the digital speedo (which only shows up physically in the display in the first place if you code it (digital speedo) "IN") with the Carly app. You CANNOT code out the overstatement on the analog speedo. You also cannot code out the overstatement on the digital readout of the cruise control speed you have selected when using cruise control. So, if you code out the digital overcorrection, code in to have the digital speed displayed, and then use cruise control, you can see this unfold in real time, e.g. the cruise control might show 73, the analog speedo 73, and digital speedo 70, in the case of one of my 3, effected, 1-Series cars. Note is made that perhaps an experienced coder could write code to code out the over reading on the analog speedo and on the cruise control read out, however at least the Carly app does not have this functionality.

As to VW, my impression is that they don't intentionally code in the over reading of speed like BMW and Porsche do, other than perhaps a cushion of a mph or so just to be sure that if you change tires that the speedo does not under read your actual speed.

NyCSnEaK

Mine seems on point so far. I have less than 300 miles, so I'll update this thread if their is any variance.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
wow, I didn't know this thread will survive this long. lol
Seriously, who cares about 2-4 mph difference while driving? Just drive with what you have from the manufacture and you should be just fine.