GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Minor Fender Ding

rfc89747

Ready to race!
I've had my R for a couple weeks now (didn't even drive it this whole past week because of weather), and today I noticed a small bump in the front driver fender/quarter panel. It looks like the inside was pinched a little bit, almost as if someones hand was pulling on it. I have no idea how it happened or if it was like that when I bought it (used). I'm thinking either something slung up from the tire, or someone in a parking lot was next to my car, slipped, and used the fender to hold themselves up or something. It is barely noticeable, but now that I've seen it, it's bothering me. I've attached some pictures. The first one shows the little bump from the outside. The second shows underneath in the wheel well looking up at the crimped fender edge.

I'm juggling whether I should just put up with it, or try to get it fixed. I'm worried about having to have it painted. Also, I have xpel clear bra covering the front portion of the quarter panel (not up to where the ding is. You can actually see the line where it ends in the picture). I might have to pay to get that redone also, if they needed to remove it to do the body work. Is this something that comp coverage would handle?

Last edited:

nate704

Go Kart Champion
It looks like something got kicked up from the tire and hit it from inside while driving.
Contact local dent guys (most of them are moble), and it looks like simple fix. It should cost around $150 - $200 or less.

rfc89747

Ready to race!
Great! Thank you guys. Thanks to ArcsandSparks for referring me to a local paintless dent repair shop too. I'm going to give them a call, and see what they can do.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
The ding yes

But the paint that is flaking/cracked there (if I'm seeing it right)....THAT should be your concern

Agree snobrdrdan, and paintless dent repair is only really suitable where there hasn't been any damage to the paintwork. No doubt it will be possible to remove the dent using PDR techniques, but some new paintwork will also be required.

rfc89747

Ready to race!
Yeah it seems to have gotten me right on the fold there and split a seem in the paint. Would I just be able to stick it down with touch up paint or something?

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
So much crap gets kicked up under the wheelwells in the winter that I'm surprised mine hasn't had this happen too. I also live on a dirt road, even though it's not that long from my driveway to the paved road at the intersection. My MkVI GTI had numerous windshield dings as well as rock chips in the paint. So far my R has avoided much of that, but I'm always wondering when the other shoe will drop, so to speak.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Yeah it seems to have gotten me right on the fold there and split a seem in the paint. Would I just be able to stick it down with touch up paint or something?

As the existing paint has lifted, I don't think 'sticking it down' by trying to apply touch up paint underneath the lifted paint would be a very satisfactory solution. If you tried to work touch up paint under the lifted paint, it'd probably result in more paint coming away.

From the photo that's looking skyward up at the damaged area, it looks as if the paint has lifted on the outer face of the wing / fender and not just the flange edge in the wheel well. This loose paint needs to be removed, which would probably leave quite a large area to be repainted; larger than is really suitable for touch up pencil as these are really only intended for small stone chips / rock chips. IMO, the paint finish you're likely to achieve on this relatively large area with a touch up pencil would be quite poor compared to the surrounding factory paint too as you'd be applying it by brush, so it would be quite noticeable. If you attempt a DIY respray using an aerosol paint, even if you're proficient at applying automotive spray paint using an aerosol, colour matching metallic paint is likely to be an issue (looks like CSG from the photo but as your car's an R it's probably DBP, so pearlescent paint).

IMO it looks like one for a SMART repair (the cheaper option) or body shop (the more expensive option), but not DIY using a touch up pen. As you've only had the car a couple of weeks, if it was me I'd want it repaired properly on a nearly new R like yours.

Last edited:

rfc89747

Ready to race!
I agree. I wouldn't attempt this myself. I was just wondering if this is something I could have the paintless dent repair guys pop out and then maybe just touch up the rest. The color is Limestone Grey. So, now that were back on talking about body shops (expensive), is this something I could get comp auto coverage to take care of? Anyone have recommendations of somewhere to take it in the Philadelphia area?

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion

rfc89747

Ready to race!
Anyone have any recommendations for body shops in the Philly (I also work in Pottstown) area? The pain pulling up is making me nervous. I've never had to deal with body repair before. Is this something I should take to VW to ensure the correct paint is used?