GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What do you hate about your MK7 Golf R?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Just curious, why don't you like the soundaktor? It's not fake noise, just amplified actual engine noise. I really enjoy it.

What ever gave you that idea? It's merely a friggin' buzzer vibrating, that gets louder as the RPM increases. There is no microphone, no amplifier, and it's not a speaker.

Last edited:

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
What do I hate about your Mk7 Golf R?

Easy. You have AWD and I don't.

cnconner

This is my first car with Automatic Lane Assist (think that is what it is called) and I wound up turning it off because I hated it. Seems like every time I am cresting a hill it wants to drive the car to the right. Also don't like not having a center console and sure would be nice to have remote start for those cold winter mornings.

First car with lane assist for me as well. I've had the car two days now and turned it off. I think it's something that could be useful for a long trip but I've got enough back seat drivers as it is. Last thing I need is the car doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

champignon

Ready to race!
First car with lane assist for me as well. I've had the car two days now and turned it off. I think it's something that could be useful for a long trip but I've got enough back seat drivers as it is. Last thing I need is the car doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2016 does not have the DAP, so I don't know from personal experience how VW executed this "feature." I have been given current model BMW loaners when my BMWs have been in the shop, and a couple of those had the BMW version of "lane assist." I found that feature to be just about the most annoying "amenity" in recent cars I have ever experienced. The wheel vibrates when the car thinks you are going out of the lane, but it is so overly sensitive as to be continually obtrusive. This combined with chewing gum no-feedback electric steering was so annoying that I could not wait to get rid of the loaner and back into my own car.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
It's merely a friggin' buzzer vibrating

Wrong. It's a device for reproducing either a digital recording or a synthesized sound file (reports differ).

that gets louder as the RPM increases.

And also speeds up.

There is no microphone

Correct.

no amplifier, and it's not a speaker.

Bzzzt, wrong. The source is clearly amplified — it does get louder, after all. As a speaker it has its own voice coil but uses the firewall sheet metal to which its bolted as the diaphragm.

I find the Soundaktor to be quite cleverly engineered. Whether you like it or not is a matter of personal preference, but it's not hard to fix it as desired.

Neil

warpspeedr

Passed Driver's Ed
I love my 16 R manual but there are a few things not to like: backup camera doesn't work about 25% of the time; window switches difficult to modulate; hill-holder doesn't release most of the time when it's time to go; automatic wipers have only 2 speeds (no intermittent) and rain sensor sometimes don't work in mist; and stock manuals are 1/2 second slower 0 - 60 than their STI and Focus RS counterparts. The R needs a Stage 1 tune to feel decently quick (which mine does). The AWD is awesome as is the interior and refinement. Hatchbacks will always be at the top of my shopping list.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I guess it's not so much the stopping distance but the lightness of the rear end during heavy braking that is odd to me. It's like you can nearly invoke oversteer simply by braking hard. Maybe I'm still getting used to AWD cars and VW's in general. Long time BMW owner here and pretty strictly a RWD person.

While the Haldex AWD vs BMW RWD is definitely contributing to the differences you're feeling, it's also the higher rear COG (inherent in hatchbacks) which is lightening the rear wheels, especially when braking while initiating a turn. That difference in where the mass is carried both lightens the rear wheels (from braking) and lifts the inside rear wheel (while turning). All of that can somewhat be compensated for with shock valving, spring rates, and anti-sway bar torsional stiffness, but ultimately, as Scotty on the old Star Trek series was fond of saying: "you can't defy the laws of physics." To me, I'll gladly accept those less-than-stellar 10/10ths racetrack manners for the amazing day-to-day utility of the Golf's hatchback design.

Rafal

Ready to race!
I hated that I had to open the armrest, the fake engine sound that I eventually turned off with OBDEleven, that it didn't come with a spare and I absolutely needed one once, and that the cargo area cover kept popping off the hooks. That's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OBDII is OBD2 not eleven?

NyCSnEaK

I knew what I was getting into, but a moonroof and an armrest with a cubby would have been icing on the red velvet cake.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c