GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FYI - Power Folding Mirror Variations

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Here is something a bit curious, never saw mention of this before.. The first pic is of one of my new Euro Power folding mirrors - you can find these mirrors advertised at Detsche Auto Parts (DAP) and perhaps other places..

the second pic is of an earlier power folding mirror (I believe the Chinese folding mirrors as well as earlier Euro folding mirrors including Kufatecs look like the second pic.)

The third pic (for reference) is of a standard, non-power, spring-folding mirror like North American cars come with from factory..

I am sure it is a change that is precipitated by the all mighty dollar, and is a cost savings measure just like the composite oil pans, the composite shift cable brackets, relay levers etc. I am curious to know if there was a better reason besides strictly financial. The gearing appears to be all metal (without disassembling it), and the lower arm is still cast metal, it's just the upper part of the assembly that attaches to the mirror body that is composite. These mirrors are noticeably lighter than their Chinese counterparts from what I recall, but that was only using my arm scale.

It has been suggested that the mid-cycle change was for weight-savings, to offset the added weight of the power folding mechanism and thus put less stress on the assembly. his is what I am hoping - and that it was a mid-cycle production improvement as opposed to strictly a cost thing.. It is clear the earlier power folding mirrors use much of the same casting as the spring-folding, with the added weight of the mechanism as you mention. I am curious to see if these composite ones are better synchronized on open-close. For reference, my Power folding mirrors were manufactured 18/12/2016.

If people could get me an accurate weight down to the gram of what their power folding mirrors weigh, and indicate if it was an AliExpress Chinese folding mirror, or a Kufatec, or a VW Accessories/aftersales parts mirror, that would be appreciated!

Here is another interesting thing I thought I'd share. I Bought this Euro power folding mirror switch from Europe..

Just as everyone has said about the Euro switch versus the switch that comes with the Chinese folding Mirrors from AliExpress, these are not painted on the backside. Some have speculated the Chinese market AliEx ones were molded in a different plastic (black as opposed to white), however I can assure you the chinese ones are just painted on both sides, look close on a chinese switch and you will see certain spots in the crevasses that are lightly covered or not painted at all.

The second thing I can confirm is the switchgear on this Euro switch is definitely similar to the mirror switch in our cars now, being a 'soft-touch' or 'soft-click'. The AliExpress ones have almost an audible/crisp snap/click, Now this totally comes down to personal preference. I would say I prefer the 'soft-click' of the Euro piece, however the Chinese piece looks to be better finished on the backside if that matters. There were a few complaints of the AliEx illumination not matching the rest of the car, but those could have just been a bad piece, as most all I've seen look to be spot on.
Now here is the kicker.. this Euro switch - Hecho in China lol!!

Edit - I actually did snap some pics this time around of the Chinese folding mirrors I had in hand prior to selling..

You can clearly see the backside of this switch is painted (look in the deep crevasse, you will see the paint is not fully applied), the piece is not folded in black plastic.

Just a pic of the Chinese switch against the stock piece in my R. Looks good.

Thought I'd share this in the body of this original post to help people distinguish between Chinese/Euro

Originally Posted by carchrism5
Thanks for doing this research. One additional thing to note is that the AliExpress ones are different. Some vendors are selling OEM China market mirror and switches while other are selling aftermarket mirrors and switches. Some are indistinguishable in pictures and you will notice the aftermarkets do not show any part numbers on the units. Just make sure to message the seller and ask explicitly.

Yes this is most certainly true.. Some vendors are quite vague in their description. There are some telltale signs that mirrors may be the Chinese AliEx versions..

1) Price. Not always a qualifier as many are selling these at a premium over what one can buy for straight from China. I have seen Chinese sets listed for $500USD+.

2) Do they come with mirror caps and glass pre-installed? Almost a dead giveaway they are Chinese. Especially if the caps are white. Lately, Chinese sellers have been offering different colour caps, most notably black or silver.

3) the rubber grommet that the main wire passes through and attaches to door metal - is it white or is it black? Chinese Mirrors tend to have black grommets, whereas Euro tend to be off-white rubber, like your originals.

4) are the wire bundles taped or heat-shrinked? Chinese mirrors are heat-shrunk near the connector whereas Euro (and your factory mirrors) are taped near the door connector.

5) is the back of the switch panel white or black? Chinese versions are almost always painted black on both sides, Euro pieces tend to not be painted on the backside.

6) does the set have Blind Spot Assist wires? I have NEVER seen a Chinese AliEx set come with such a feature unless someone has modified them/transferred the BSM wires over.

7) Is the main body/bracket all metal? or a combination of metal lower and plastic upper (as in my pics above).. Chinese sets are always all metal.

8) Are they noisy on operation? There have been reports Chinese mirror motors are much more audible than their European counterparts

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Thanks for doing this research, as one of the many many people that have purchased the AliExpress mirror set from China (just received yesterday) it gives me somethings to look out for and be aware of.

I'm not at all confident about this, but with the mirror variations, it could be as simple as cost saving changes over the years, or it could come down to the region and where certain parts are sourced. For example, VW China will likely source parts from Chinese manufacturers because of the closeness to the source and for reduced costs of importation, etc. Inversely like you found with the Euro Switch, some parts might only have one source due to volume or variations.

I think this is very likely because of the major mirror differences being a zinc/metal cast frame vs a injection molded plastic one, the variations in plug styles and wiring/harnesses. From my experience, one source that does metal casting is likely to NOT also do injection molding, and so on.

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Thanks for doing this research. One additional thing to note is that the AliExpress ones are different. Some vendors are selling OEM China market mirror and switches while other are selling aftermarket mirrors and switches. Some are indistinguishable in pictures and you will notice the aftermarkets do not show any part numbers on the units. Just make sure to message the seller and ask explicitly.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I purchased the OEM Chinese market ones from Aliexpress installed for over a year now and I'm very happy with them but I can't not remember if the switch was painted or not to be honest, I honestly wouldn't mind the plastic over metal change because to me that means that the motors will last longer in theory :) not a fact but who knows .
I didn't get the LED complain, what are people comparing the output to? Interior lights or DLR's ? I'm just glad that it comes with the mirrors lol and it looks cool while opening :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for doing this research, as one of the many many people that have purchased the AliExpress mirror set from China (just received yesterday) it gives me somethings to look out for and be aware of.

I'm not at all confident about this, but with the mirror variations, it could be as simple as cost saving changes over the years, or it could come down to the region and where certain parts are sourced. For example, VW China will likely source parts from Chinese manufacturers because of the closeness to the source and for reduced costs of importation, etc. Inversely like you found with the Euro Switch, some parts might only have one source due to volume or variations.

I think this is very likely because of the major mirror differences being a zinc/metal cast frame vs a injection molded plastic one, the variations in plug styles and wiring/harnesses. From my experience, one source that does metal casting is likely to NOT also do injection molding, and so on.

Well the company that was originally making all the mirrors for most all VW MK7s is the same company now branded on these mirrors so I suspect there was a good reason for the change.. I was just discussing with an acquaintance who imports a LOT of euro parts, and he suspects this revision may be quieter than the previous ones.. I know the Chinese mirrors were not entirely quiet when folding/unfolding.. not sure about the metal Euro ones..

Yes this is most certainly true.. Some vendors are quite vague in their description. There are some telltale signs that mirrors may be the Chinese AliEx versions.. 1) Price. Not always a qualifier as many are selling these at a premium over what one can buy for straight from China. I have seen Chinese sets listed for $500USD+. 2) Do they come with mirror caps and glass pre-installed? Almost a dead giveaway they are Chinese. Especially if the caps are white. Lately, Chinese sellers have been offering different colour caps, most notably black or silver. 3) the rubber grommet that the main wire passes through and attaches to door metal - is it white or is it black? Chinese Mirrors tend to have black grommets, whereas Euro tend to be off-white rubber, like your originals. 4) is the back of the switch panel white or black? Chinese versions are almost always painted black on both sides, Euro pieces tend to not be painted on the backside. 5) does the set have Blind Spot Assist wires? I have NEVER seen a Chinese AliEx set come with such a feature unless someone has modified them/transferred the BSM wires over. 6) Is the main body/bracket all metal? or a combination of metal lower and plastic upper (as in my pics above).. Chinese sets are always all metal.

I purchased the OEM Chinese market ones from Aliexpress installed for over a year now and I'm very happy with them but I can't not remember if the switch was painted or not to be honest, I honestly wouldn't mind the plastic over metal change because to me that means that the motors will last longer in theory :) not a fact but who knows .
I didn't get the LED complain, what are people comparing the output to? Interior lights or DLR's ? I'm just glad that it comes with the mirrors lol and it looks cool while opening :)

Guarantee the switch was painted with a special trim paint, both front and back - I've had now two sets of the Chinese mirrors in my possession to review.

The complaint was in the lighting of the switch itself - a few people's switches (Chinese AliEx ones) were VERY yellow as opposed to a crisp white, and looked very off in comparison to the rest of the illumination in the car.. In each case, the Chinese seller was quick to replace the switch at no charge I believe. I think it was a quality control issue.

Overall IMHO the Chinese power folding mirrors are a steal, especially if you don't have to concern yourself with the blind spot monitor feature/wires. The caps are not quite the same quality but they are very good. The mirror glass leaves something to be desired, again my opinion. But you can easily swap your existing glass and caps so those are really non-issues, and some resourceful people have sold their spare caps/glass to even further offset the cost of the mirror sets - total bargain at that point, especially when you consider that for some cars, in order to get power folding mirrors you are looking at spending over $1K easy.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Ahhh I get it now, I'll take a look at mine to see if the lighting is different at all , one would think that i would notice such things but with my history of overlooking stuff :) i would not be surprised.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Thought I'd add in my own pictures of the mirrors I just received, I'll update once I've installed them as far as lighting and the inner frame once I swap the mirror caps.

IMG_20170322_182235 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

The switch is definitely a hard "click" and not the softer style like OEM. It is painted front and back though.

Can you share pics of the assembly under the mirror cap, and closer up pics of the wires on the ends (curious how many wires are in each main harness as I forgot to document that when I had them..)

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Absolutely, just waiting for a few other parts before I pull the door panels off.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Absolutely, just waiting for a few other parts before I pull the door panels off.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Oh I mean on the Chinese mirrors, under the caps and the ends of the wire harnesses on the mirror assemblies themselves

edit - silly me, I did manage to snap a couple pics of the wire harnesses on the Chinese mirror assemblies.. Here they are. Can't quite tell how many wires are on each side though, any guesses?

Also notice the finishing of the Chinese harness wire casings - ending in heat shrink tubing, where the Euro ones end in electrical tape. Just thought I'd point this out while I'm here.

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Oh I mean on the Chinese mirrors, under the caps and the ends of the wire harnesses on the mirror assemblies themselves

I got it, just not sure if I'm going to crack into them right away. I won't be installing them and at the same time swapping mirror caps, but if I have time I'll try to head out and pop the caps off early.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
I got it, just not sure if I'm going to crack into them right away. I won't be installing them and at the same time swapping mirror caps, but if I have time I'll try to head out and pop the caps off early.

ok cool!

Edit - please see my above edits, I did in fact snap a few pics of the harnesses for my reference, just forgot until now.

Cheers

Last edited: