GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ed's golf R reps right side DRL flicker

mk72017

So I bought Ed's Golf R reps, install was cake, but I'm having a problem like the title says.

The DRLs work perfectly fine on their own (I'm in the US so they turn on when I release park brake), but the problem is when I flip the switch to low beam on, the right side only DRLs flicker slowly about 3 times, then stops flickering but the DRL is then about half the brightness of the left side and it stays that way.

And if I turn the lights completely off in the same key ignition cycle the brightness stays, only when I completely turn it off and re-start it, it will flicker again.

I have OBDeleven, and am hoping it's just a coding issue, even though I thought it was a direct swap no coding needed, but Im not very familiar with coding, so if anyone has any info on what codes to change it would be great.

I'm trying to get in touch with ED right now, but nothing yet.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
I'm having a similar issue. The passenger side flickers a couple of times, then stops. I don't notice it being any dimmer though.

Also, my high beam for the same side does not work :(.

tpk

This happened to me on my 2017 GSW 4mo, I think OP and I discussed over on the vortex. Ed had me try a few things and in the end, I removed the pigtail harnesses that come with the lights and problem solved.

Ed said I could remove them but I would have DRLs with the lights off, no DRL with lights on.

However, without them, I have full bright DRL with lights off, dimmed DRL with lights on, exactly the behavior I wanted. Ed said he would check with the factory to see of those harnesses are still necessary for MY2017.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Yup turned out my extra harness was the issue as well.
Removed it as per Ed's suggestion and my flicker was gone as was my high beam issue.

I only removed one side though, the other side is still there and everything seems to be working fine.

tpk

Yup turned out my extra harness was the issue as well.
Removed it as per Ed's suggestion and my flicker was gone as was my high beam issue.

I only removed one side though, the other side is still there and everything seems to be working fine.

Interesting. I marked mine L and R when I removed them... Ed had me swap them first (the LED controllers inside the caps too) to see if the problem moved with the parts and it did not.

He was preparing to make a warranty claim for me, excellent support on this issue!

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
Do any of you have a picture as to what exact harness you're referring to? MY16 is having the same issue, passenger side.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Do any of you have a picture as to what exact harness you're referring to? MY16 is having the same issue, passenger side.

This is the harness adapter:

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
Yep and I didn't realize its a separate piece until Ed mentioned it. You can remove it and plug the factory harness directly into the lights.

And there is no risk in doing so?

Snoball

Passed Driver's Ed
So I have an 17 Alltrack and did the swap this weekend and have the same issue happening. Now that I know this part is optional I will try it without. It seems to be working as expected after the 3 blinks, but it for sure blinks every time I turn the LB on after a full off full on.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Sounds like mine is the only one where the passenger highbeam also doesn't work with this harness plugged in. Weird.

tpk

And there is no risk in doing so?

When I was working through this with Ed, he said the purpose of the harness was to keep the DRLs on with the headlights, otherwise they would only be on by themselves and turn off with the headlights.

When I removed the harness, my DRLs dim a little with the headlights on but they do stay on and it looks great, so I'm happy. No warning lights and none of the flicker I had before.

Ed said he would check with the factory to see if the harnesses are still necessary, but regardless of that, no harm in going without them according to him.