GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My GTI vs Stock? Focus St

Mk72015

Ready to race!
Iroz Motorsports has my buddies R at the moment, getting built for 700bhp with required engine/fuel/dsg upgrades.

The bill is definitely up there.

Probably but not only will it be stupid fast, it will still probably be the most practical car with that kind of power and also never expect it haha

Ravenstyle83

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI
Raced a black lowered Focus ST this morning (no clue what was done to it) on the way to getting the high torque APR stage 1 file flash. I was on a low torque APR 93 tune. I honked and went on 3 beeps - middle of 3rd gear start. He stayed with me until just before the top of 3rd gear. When I went into fourth I started to walk the ST a few cars. He let off and then flashed me. Probably his last chance to beat me if he ever had one.

Last edited:

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
As someone that recently sold their Stage 2 ST (255whp) I will say my new stock PP GTI is a good bit faster than a stock ST and feels about as fast as my ST was while tuned. The low end torque isn't there (yet) but after about 4k, the GTI pulls much stronger.

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
As someone that recently sold their Stage 2 ST (255whp) I will say my new stock PP GTI is a good bit faster than a stock ST and feels about as fast as my ST was while tuned. The low end torque isn't there (yet) but after about 4k, the GTI pulls much stronger.

I agree with this. I had a 2013 ST3 with a cobb stage 1 tune, and I believe our 6MT stock GTI's are on par with that. I can't stress how worthless the ST's are from a stop. Even with those tires, mine would bounce the front end like no one's business. Horrible wheel hop and engine movement even after lower motor/tranny mount swap.

I also can't stress how shitty built the interior on the ST was. I wanted to love that car, but it was the demise to the RS desire.

mjesenovec

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a 2013 stage 1 ST. Intake, borla catback, Unleashed Tune. Quick for what it was, but didn't feel nearly as strong above 60mph as my Cobb Stage 1+ GTI w/ DSG. The GTI still has monster power at highway speeds, where the ST would kinda lose steam. It's also worth noting that the ST only has a K03 turbo, which is smaller than the MK7.

That all being said, my ST would hold about a car's length ahead of my brother's 06 GTO that runs high 12's up to about 75-80, then the GTO would catch up and start walking me. With the improved top end of the GTI, I think racing my bro's GTO will be a little more interesting this year. Once I get a dp and stage 2, don't think the GTO will be able to catch up.

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!
Vs ST with exhaust at least

On my way home from work today I found myself behind an ST with at least an after market exhaust. We were both behind an old pick up truck going 40mph with open road ahead of him but no passing lane open. The truck put on it's right turn signal and I said here we go?. ST mashed it WOT from what I could tell and got about two cars ahead as I rolled in to it in third. I didn't want to tail gate him or anything so I made up the car length and stuck to him. I shifted out of third early and had no problem staying right on him in fourth. We came up on traffic after about a third of a mile or maybe half a mile. I think he was expecting to walk me the way he took off at the start. Wish we had two lanes I would have liked to have seen a side by side.