GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015+ GTI for AutoX

twfa5

Passed Driver's Ed
Found a 2015 PP DSG 2 door S trim for $21k at a dealership. 16k miles.

Obviously, I want to get the price down, but what y'all think? For GS I'm still on the fence if DSG or Manual is the right way to go. Still got the notion of learning to drive around DSG and that might be an advantage over the manual despite 80lb penalty...

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I think you can drive around it. My friend Jack Burns didn't want to, but I did autoX a MK6 DSG for 4 years. Also maybe better for future STX upgrade....lol

Rear camber is adjustable on a cam-bolt on the rear upper control arm, toe adjustable on the lower control arm cam-bolt. They do cross-talk so probably set camber first then toe.

I usually let someone else do it because I hate dealing with cam bolts.

twfa5

Passed Driver's Ed
Decisions decisions. Wife and I care most about being GS competitive, since she's torn on which transmission. (She enjoys stick but has bad knees and DSG could be better for that and DD duties).

Also, don't know how much I can reasonably expect to get the dealer down to...

Whackamac

Ready to race!
I race DSP class hillcimbs and autoX. I do track days too. Go for it and don't look back.

...and upgrade your rotors and pads. Do it now. EBC is really good.
...and you are only going to go so far without full coilovers
...tires, tires, tires. Learn about tires.
...I prefer 6mt for the downshift control on tracks.

And finally, some vids of last season. (I was 90 days out of major lower back surgery in the top video so be nice...):)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-S-ZWyYjJ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RyqarXXuwU

mrf5022

What tire size are most of you running for autocrossing? 245/40-17? I have a set of 255/40-17 tires from my WRX that I autocrossed and it would be really nice to just reuse them. I know it's not ideal for a 7.5" wheel but curious if I'll have any fitment issues?

mrf5022

Twfa5 ... that's pretty much what I was thinking, just need to decide if I want to shell out for a new set or not.

SlowJim... I ran 255s on an 8" wheel on my WRX with zero issues and we have even run them on a 7.5" wheel before. It's not an ideal fit but generally more tire = faster times.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Most likely the problem will be trying to seat the bead. It probably won't be the most ideal tires. I've ran 255 on 8s before also.

Most of the GS GTI people runs 245/40/17s

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys, let me introduce myself. This week I moved from an MK6 2-door manual GTI that I autocrossed to a 2015 MK7 DSG w PP. I've read through the 28 pages here and chatted a little with RacingManiac (who I chatted with over on golfmk6.com previously).

First I'll throw my opinion around on the Focus ST. It is an overdog in GS for sure. I'm happy to have an MK7 PP now, it should be a more even fight! Last year I went back and forth with 1st and 2nd place in GS in my NC club against an ST driver. For giggles, I took his ST out for a fun run after the event. My very FIRST TIME in his car I put a full second on my best time in the MK6 and a 1/2 second on his best time in his own car. So yeah, the ST is well suited for autocross!

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Now on to my first questions:

Swaybar size. I had a 23mm Eibach in my MK6 and wished I had more. RM says he felt the same at 23 in his MK6. I'm thinking of going 25mm with the MK7. Will that be overkill? I want a little more rotation at autocross without being unpredictable on the street. I'm sure the 25 would be perfect on the MK6, haven't driven the MK7 a lot yet but have noticed two things:
1. It understeers something terrible at lower speeds, if you head in tad hot, or get on it too hard too soon.
2. At lower speeds I get some throttle-lift oversteer. I don't want to make that worse.

I'm wondering if both of those problems are directly attributable to the terrible all-season Pirellis that come on the car. By this weekend I'll have my Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s on it for street driving.

EDIT: I'll be in GS with stock suspension other than the swaybar, and lighter wheels w RE71Rs once I get them.

Last edited:

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Oh, and regarding discussion on rear swaybar. I saw a lot of talk about making the rear stiffer so it will rotate. Yes, that's part of the reason for a swaybar. However, it also transfers weight onto the inside front wheel, giving you more grip to pull out of a turn. Surprised I didn't see the weight transfer point brought up. The difference good sways that were stiffer in the rear made a HUGE difference on my Forester XT, the car I cut my autocross teeth on.

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Finally: once my 17x7.5 RPF1s get here on the moving truck, I'll be able to tell you definitively if they fit over PP brakes! I'm worried they won't :(

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
MK7 is better, trust me, as long as the course is not too slow. At least for the 6MTs.

DSG might not have that problem. But you need to drive around DSG's quirk.