GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the engine cover to a 1.2lt & 1.4lt, Mk7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Disclaimer:- This info is for community usage. I am NOT affiliated to, or sponsored by, any company/individual to promote them or their products. Companies/individuals may NOT use my name, photos, or threads/technical guides, for financial or personal gain (fraudulent misrepresentation).

Part 1 of 1
Vehicle used in this guide

UK spec, 2014yr model, Mk7 Golf Estate (GSW), GT (Highline) trim, 1.4lt TSI (140PS) CHPA petrol engine, MQ250 6speed manual gearbox, multilink rear suspension.

Vehicles that this guide is applicable to
All VAG (Audi/Seat/Skoda/VW) cars with the EA211, 4 cylinder, 1.2lt & 1.4lt petrol engines, which have the same air filter pipework.

Special thanks to
Forum member “ryanjames20” for posting up the original info in this thread “Mk7 Engine Cover”.
Mk7 Engine Cover | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

Introduction
So why do this post? Mainly to make it easier for search engines to find & to provide a few more details & an important modification! So, you open the bonnet on your new Mk7 Golf & see loads of wires, coil packs etc, when usually VW cover it all up with a nice plastic cover! What happened, missing part at the factory or penny-pinching bean counters??

Research
The Mk7 Golf GTE Hybrid & the Jetta Hybrid have the same 1.4lt petrol engine as fitted to the standard Mk7 Golf (there are very minor differences). If you Google images for these cars you will see that there is a nice engine cover fitted! The VW parts lists in ETKA only shows the cover & not the bracket when you look at the Golf GTE diagram 103-072 for the hybrid CUKA engine. This is why I have shown the Jetta Hybrid ETKA diagram as this shows all the parts correctly! Most of the current VAG EA211, 1.2lt & 1.4lt engines use the same parts for the plastic air pipework from the air filter housing to the turbo, so have the locating holes required for the engine cover.

In the GTE the “hybrid” side of the electrics (which also produce heat) take up loads of room, restricting the amount of “free air” around the engine. This means that heat soak from the engine cover cannot be an issue!

Parts required
VAG ETKA illustration for Jetta/2015/Engine/CNLA,CRJA/No.103-070

Parts list & approx. costs in UK £
Item No.1:- 04E 103 925 F,
Engine cover £51.26 (x1)
Item No.3:- 04E 103 932, Bracket for cover £13.92 (x1)
Item No.6:- 104 514 08, T-Star bolt M6x20mm £0.34 (x1)

Item No.7, 04E 103 927 A, Cover disc
I have not tried fitting this item. I have Googled pictures of this item fitted to the VW Jetta Hybrid, & the pipe/hose layout in this area is slightly different to the Mk7 Golf. Anyway, in my view it detracts from the overall look of the engine bay as it looks like a random bit of trim from another car thrown in! This item in NOT fitted to the Mk7 Golf GTE.

Fitting
Very easy to do. Firstly, you need to undo the M6 bolt (using a 10mm socket as it should be a hex flange head, but could also be a T-Star) holding down the left hand side of the turbo heat shield to the engine, next to the timing belt cover. If the original bolt is the same length as the new one you can use the original one!

Place the bracket as shown & torque up the bolt, (8Nm, 6lbft) (the new bolt, Item No.3, requires a T30 size bit). Then put some lube on the rubber grommet (this is for the ball end on the bracket to fit into) attached to the underside of the engine cover. Position the two prongs on the cover into the two holes on the black plastic air pipe work (as shown in pictures), then align the rubber grommet over the ball end & push down firmly. Job done??

Further considerations on fitting
Once I had fitted the cover I noticed that it pushes down onto the air breather pipe coming out of the rear of the air filter box, which could cause wear. I have Googled images for the GTE hybrid engine bay, & looked at the Mk7 Golf GTE at the dealers. The GTE breather pipe has a piece of internally webbed pipe, sleeved over our same air pipe. This new pipe is given a part number of 04E 103 558. Unfortunately, EKTA stated that this number is not valid, & the parts dept. couldn't figure it out as the part is there on the car in their showroom!

So initially I decided to remove the existing breather pipe (tight fit, prise between the rubber & plastic pipe with a metal hook/tool) & slide some black durable heat-shrink over. I then re-fitted the pipe & then heat-shrunk it. Because of the retaining barb for the pipe it is best to heat shrink after re-fitting, otherwise you may not be able to get the rubber pipe back over the barb! Just be careful when heating the heat-shrink, so as to not affect surrounding items.

Later on after I took the pictures I found some 1/2" internal diameter hydraulic hose that I had & sleeved some over the breather pipe as the heat shrink was not thick enough of a protector. This hose is 2-3mm thick each side so much better as a protector, & better than the OEM GTE spec pipe!

Results
I have noticed that this cover keeps dust/dirt off the coil packs etc. which are now under the cover. It is also much better looking, & the engine bay looks properly “finished” now, i.e. as it should have left the factory!

Conclusions
Yet another perfect example of penny pinching from the bean counters at VAG by not fitting an aesthetic & functional item to all trim levels.

ETKA-engine-cover.jpg

Engine cover mod.jpg

Last edited:

daltom

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello Golfdave,
Excellent DIY and have just ordered the parts to mod my new car, a 150 GT. Real penny pinching by VW not to fit a cover on a premium car.

Any progress on the 'grommet on the air pipe situation' ?

Presume your concern is friction of plastic cover on the rubber part of pipe. Don't posess heat-shrink kit so could 'speed-tape', which is fire resistant, do the job?

Regards

David

Pizzadelfin

Thank you for the "fitting instructions"
I can't wait to get these parts in I just ordered from a VW dealership in Germany ( Autohaus Voege ) selling parts on Ebay . They didn't offer the cover and bracket on Ebay but as I bought the stainless steel pedal set / foot rest ( 73 EURO ) from them they where happy to supply me the parts ( 55 EURO both pieces ) and join them within the shipping costs .
Here in Spain my dealer wanted 122,00 EURO for the same pedal set and 83.00 EURO for the cover and bracket !!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
That's this thread re-written clearer, updated, & pictures tidied up etc., etc.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
got it today, five minutes install. I didn't need to replace the screw and I doubt it can damage the pipe over time.
sweet. thanks buddy.

ah, yes. expensive IMO.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thank You Dave, Do you have a theory or conclusion why (other than $$$) VW chose to not cover
the 1.4T in Mk7.5 Golf's

cost cutting...they already spend money moving pipework to move the airbox from ontop of the intake manifold (the three black plastic ball studs are still there)..so its now like the other engines....

"Diesel gate" is still costing them $$$...in the end the consumer still looses out..

CamarosRus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf SE
Dave, You have impressive computer posting skills, remarkable product knowledge
and have obviously been a huge asset to the other members of this forum.

I would like to add Full engine under tray but not willing to spend the significant $$$
that these VW parts cost

I did write the UK company that mfg your door sill and rear hatch bumper protectors
for USA availability and pricing

Thanks

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Dave, You have impressive computer posting skills, remarkable product knowledge
and have obviously been a huge asset to the other members of this forum.

I would like to add Full engine under tray but not willing to spend the significant $$$
that these VW parts cost

I did write the UK company that mfg your door sill and rear hatch bumper protectors
for USA availability and pricing

Thanks

Many thanks...I'm just a problem solver, technical details person...& hate bad design....so if I find a good solution I put the info back out there..

The reinforced skid tray isn't cheap..but it is reinforced with aramid/Kevlar fibre...I had to cut mine to get the Tiguan subframe cover to fit..& that small cut (less than 12 inches) cost me two brand new sharp jigsaw blades!!..

& RGM do make good stuff...surprised they don't have a dealer over there...