GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GT Advice

Arthur1

Hi new member,

Reading various forums as replacing my A3 with a new car. Short list of Golf GT, Mercedes A class, BMW 1 series.

Been reading various comments on here that can come across as worrying. Comments like I wouldn't waste my money on a Mk7 due to too many teething problems, Seat Problems, Wiper Problems, Power Fold Mirror Problems etc,etc I'm not that daft to expect them to be perfect but potentially 3 or 4 issues makes me think!

If like me, other people look at this forum for research VW will be loosing business from some of the comments.

It can't be that bad guys can it??

Thanks in advance for any replys

GTWebb

Don't read too much into what people moan at on forums. My GT is due to arrive in 3 weeks and can't wait. I've done extensive reading and research on the MK7 GT and its a great car. The majority of owners would agree but on forums people tend to post negatives

TeeDeeEye

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Arty,

I think that you need to take some of the opinions voiced here with a pinch of salt, particularly when you bear in mind that some posters expressing anti Mk7 sentiments don't actually drive them ;0)

I started off with a similar shortlist, first to go was the A Class due to general poor reviews. The 1 Series was a real contender, but I felt that there is just something 'wrong' about it looks wise. I can't quite put my finger on exactly what, but something just doesn't sit right. Which left a straight choice between the A3 Sport and the Golf GT, which when I priced them up like for like and test drove them, the Golf won hands down.

I am not trying to suggest the Golf is perfect, no car is, and I would give serious consideration to the amount and type of miles you do when choosing between ACT and TDI as DPF regeneration and lower than quoted MPG seems to be a legitimate 'gripe' amongst owners.

The other things can, I think, be reasonably described as minor and a lot will be down to personal taste/expectation (The GT seat thread is a good example) there seems to be very little of genuine concern across a large number of owners and there certainly doesn't seem to be much bad press outside of these types of forums.

I do think that VW have missed a trick by not having 'official' forums as they could at least address some of the concerns raised by people and give readers a chance to see both sides of the story, but that's their choice and it's hard to argue with the decisions of an organisation that makes the amount of profit they do!

Apologies for the wall of text

Doden

Ready to race!
I also had the Merc A in my sights, but was totally underwhelmed when I test drove it. Great looking car, but not for driving. The VW dealer happened to be next door, and it was purely by chance that I ventured in and saw the Golf, it wasn't on my radar at all, but it immediately impressed, so I bought one!
Don't be put off by the comments on this forum. I've had it now for 6 weeks or so and still look forward to driving it. It is a great drive. Seats are comfortable, power fold mirror fine. Yes I do have the wiper 'streak' but it's not a major issue and I expect it to be fixed at some point.
My only regret was going for the black that looked so stunning in the showroom. It doesn't look so great after a couple of days out!
Fuel consumption also disappointing, but it is getting better. Just don't expect 60mpg. Closest I've been is 52 on a longish trip. 47 average overall.
I've no regrets and I've owned Mercs, BMWs and a Jag. The fact it won car of the year etc., convinced me to buy and I think the reviewers got it right. It's not perfect, but for the money which car is?

marineboy

I researched long and hard before getting my Golf GT. Previously had mk3 Focus, v good car and drove well but not well screwed together and the interior looked a bit tacky. Prior to that had A3 Sportback, v hard ride and sports seats uncomfortable. As the previous poster says don't be put off by negative comments. The Golf is an excellent car, the sports seats are v comfy, I don't understand the comments re the bolsters, you should try the Audi's which were really hard. V quiet and refined, ride on the firm side but not crashy, the 1.4 petrol is quicker than my 1.6 150 bhp Focus and about 10 mpg better. On a long dual carriageway trip I experimented not going above 60mph and got 60 mpg on the computer (and the computer is only about 3 mpg optimistic), around town I get 42 to 45 driving normally. Interior is really classy, punching well above its weight, sat nav and stereo superb. Never mind the detractors, try one for a day or two and you won't look back.

ept

Ready to race!
I agree with everything marineboy says it,s a great car the 140 GT engine smooth and quiet e-brake and stop start work seamlessly. ACC on long motorway journeys is fantastic especially in average speed camera areas, all in all a really good car.

dickt

Ready to race!
I went through the same list.
Simply did not like the A class, following a test drive, altho' SWMBO said it was very good looking. The A 3 from the driver's seat is simply a big lump of plastic with 2 volcanoes stuck in it, and a VW Up! Satnav popping up. The 1 series suffers too much in Reviews, is too small inside, and costs too much when specced up to my Mk 7 Golf.

S I bought the VW. Mk 7.

My moan about VW is that this Mk 7 tdi GT with dsg has no better mpg than my Mk 5, 170 which I'd had from new.

All the marketting stuff about better mpg, less weight and so on, is just that...............marketting talk.

VW do not believe it and have no intention of delivering it.

Expect c 45 mpg, and be pleased if you get more than that.

marineboy

I can't comment on the tdi mileage but as per my previous post I think the 140 ACT mpg is v impressive. And I forgot to mention the ACC - I completely agree with positive comments on the forum. I thought it was just a gimmick before I picked up the car but I find it v relaxing on duals and motorways.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Take any complaints you read about a car on forums like this with a grain of salt.
Forums are magnets for complaints.
Happy customers don't post as much.

We've got people over on the MK6 forums who think the MK6 GTI seats are uncomfortable.
Whole threads on it!
The MK6 seats are splendid. The best of any car I've ever had.

Arthur1

Thanks for the comments guys, nice to see a Mk7 GT thread with comments only from guys who actually own a MK7 GT's

You have confirmed what I had initially thought and the Golf is staying at the top of my list. So much so I'm collecting a 1.4 ACT GT tomorrow for a couple of days test.

Revisited some of the threads on here though some people have issues with their cars, there is nothing major. I think the problems look worse due to certain people repeating one persons problem time and time again through various threads. Making it look far worse than it is.

So you guys who are enjoying the Mk7 party looks like I will be joining you soon. To those who are trying to gate crash the party with a bottle of wine full of sour grapes towards the MK7. If the party is that bad please find one elsewhere!

Cheers

Art

Ps My glass is always half full

allmac

Passed Driver's Ed
Same with me....the Golf GT just seemed to be far better value then the A3 and although I also looked at the A Class I was put off by the poor ride and lack of a spare wheel (temp or otherwise). Volvo V40 looked good but expensive when options were factored in...so in the end the Golf won hands-down!

bannii

Hi new member,

Reading various forums as replacing my A3 with a new car. Short list of Golf GT, Mercedes A class, BMW 1 series.

Been reading various comments on here that can come across as worrying. Comments like I wouldn't waste my money on a Mk7 due to too many teething problems, Seat Problems, Wiper Problems, Power Fold Mirror Problems etc,etc I'm not that daft to expect them to be perfect but potentially 3 or 4 issues makes me think!

If like me, other people look at this forum for research VW will be loosing business from some of the comments.

It can't be that bad guys can it??

Thanks in advance for any replys

the new golf really isn't bad, it's just people picking faults, which sometimes aren't faults at all, mines great!

dickt

Ready to race!
Arthur,
I should have added to my post.............. Having chosen the Mk7 GT tdi 140 over those other choices that you listed, I am generally very pleased with it.

My only point was do not choose it if mpg is your main concern. If you want mpg, and only mpg, the 118 tdi is better. However, as an all round car, the Mk 7 is better than the BMW.

Stripey

Ready to race!
Regarding potentially poor MPG, there is a specific MPG thread on here where you'll see that not everyone thinks its poor.