GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tesla event tonight is Incredible.

Schnell_R

Ready to race!
You guys have wishful thinking on seeing a Tesla truck cruising up a mountain pass at 65 mph..lol. Not that the truck won't do it but the company that owns the truck will neuter it for safety reasons. There's diesel powered rigs that will do it now just FYI. I hope I'm done driving before all this comes to fruition. Autonomous trucks running the highway seems like a scary proposal in my eyes, hopefully it happens far into the future.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
You guys have wishful thinking on seeing a Tesla truck cruising up a mountain pass at 65 mph..lol. Not that the truck won't do it but the company that owns the truck will neuter it for safety reasons. There's diesel powered rigs that will do it now just FYI. I hope I'm done driving before all this comes to fruition. Autonomous trucks running the highway seems like a scary proposal in my eyes, hopefully it happens far into the future.

If your a trucker then you know more than I do about trucking companies. Because I would have thought a trucking company would make more money if their drivers deliver the shipments quicker. If a company can put a speed governor on the Tesla truck, they could still limit top speed to between 65 & 75 mph. That would allow the truck to climb the hill at 65, and still keep the driver from gettin' too jiggy on the downhill, or the straights. This would only happen on Tesla trucks that were purchased outright by a company, because:

Tesla is also going to lease/rent their trucks, so in that case no company will be allowed to mess with the electronics or mechanicals of the truck, unless they want to get fined a shitload of $$ by Tesla. Musk wants his trucks doing 65 up that grade, because that's what he said, and he's a guy who does what he says.

Schnell_R

Ready to race!
Going faster up a grade will of course save time but it's minimal. I'm small potatoes compared to the mega fleets so maybe for their operation saving 5 minutes on a grade is worth it. As a driver on a highway in a car I prefer to see big trucks in the truck lane. Will the ability to go up hills faster bring the trucks over into car travel lanes more then they already do? I think yes. I guess we'll see how it all shakes out in time.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I suspect sustained operation over time is more important for trucking than sheer speed. That's why robotics are so interesting to trucking firms, because robots don't sleep, stop at truck stops, hit up hookers at rest areas, whatever. They just keep on...trucking. So a robot truck that goes 24/7 through the night at the speed limit or even below is still a lot more efficient than a human-operated rig. Going faster adds complications that might not be worth it I am guessing.

On the topic of Musk, though, I'm deeply suspicious. Yes, he has a history with fast cars, and yes, the Teslas are wicked fast. But to me they are less cars than, well, rolling cell phones. Musk's attitude seems to be that cars qua cars are dead, and we should be thinking of transportation like this the same way we think about iPhones, and consume them pretty much the same way. He's building a walled garden ecosystem a la Apple, and the cars themselves are aggressively eschewing many of the traditional trappings of cars, especially in the interior.

He makes fast things for engineers and people who think like engineers--focus on the numbers, and get bedazzled. If you're into speed, and nothing else, I can see how these things inspire. They leave me totally cold though in ways that much slower ICE cars do not. YMMV.

Schnell_R

Ready to race!
People who bought the Prius obviously aren't car people, pretty soulless expression of transportation in my view. The roadster does have some visual appeal and the straight line speed in impressive, so that will swing more towards the car culture demographic.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
People who bought the Prius obviously aren't car people, pretty soulless expression of transportation in my view. The roadster does have some visual appeal and the straight line speed in impressive, so that will swing more towards the car culture demographic.

Oh, the car is pretty, no doubt. It's 200k, too, so, yeah. I have to say though that I don't get too worked up about even ICE cars in the supercar category, either. The super high end is too much like spaceships for me. I prefer my "sweet spot" for more-exotic-than-a-DD" to be something Porsche like, though I do confess to loving the looks of Aston Martins.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Got caught up in the excitment of the event, I will admit, but it was fun :)

It's true, an AI truck that can go 24/7 doesn't need to go 65mph up hills. Maybe Musk was listing that as a sales plus for human drivers.

Like everyone else on this forum, I grew up with IC engines, so am attuned to their sounds and ways. Electrics seem soulless, I agree. Still, they're coming whether we like it or not. I'd love to have that roadster at a dragstrip for a few hours, just for the rocket-sled rides and g-forces.

Most of us can appreciate Musk's accomplishments, and willingness to go out on a limb for his vision. If you've ever read up on his financial position, you know he will go bankrupt if he can't continue to get funding. Tesla, that is, not him personally. Considering all his projects, ie cars, trucks, solar and SpaceX etc, he must be addicted to Risk, and work.

He has said he will "go down with the ship", if necessary, meaning his assets tied up in his Tesla stock will evaporate if the company doesn't make it. I have to respect that. I don't blame Musk for the advancement of electric cars, I blame the goobermint and their relentless CAFE standards.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
As the tree hugger crowd takes over why would they let you have an electric car and super car performance. With greater performance comes grater energy usage which means more resources used. Why would they not cap performance in the goal of less resources used? Less power consumer and better mpg equivalent
Ya I hate trees. Would be much better to go back to the days when rivers caught on fire and our air quality rivaled Shanghais..... I get your point that things can be taken too far but if not wanting my kid to have asthma and being able to breath clean air and take him fishing without wearing a tyvek suit makes me a "tree hugger" I'm ok with that. I know a whole crop of guys who've been brainwashed into thinking that unless you drive a massive pickup , that most never use because they don't want to scratch the bed-hee hee, that you're some kind of wimp. It's sad that their masculinity is so fragile and shallow.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
As the tree hugger crowd takes over why would they let you have an electric car and super car performance. With greater performance comes grater energy usage which means more resources used. Why would they not cap performance in the goal of less resources used? Less power consumer and better mpg equivalent
We're already there, cars have had cafe standards for years . There's always a worst case scenario but maybe electric cars are a way to forestall the dystopian vision as they are generally a lot cleaner. Autonomous cars are more likely to kill your fun as why let people drive and thousands die once the tech is 'perfected'?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
We're already there, cars have had cafe standards for years . There's always a worst case scenario but maybe electric cars are a way to forestall the dystopian vision as they are generally a lot cleaner. Autonomous cars are more likely to kill your fun as why let people drive and thousands die once the tech is 'perfected'?

But an electric car/truck exceed any CAFE std does it not?
My point was why have a truck do 65mph up hill if it reduces range and increase recharge cost. For tandem driving teams 500 miles is not a large range. They can drive back to back. I guess if they can reduce charge time to we'll under 30min then there might not be delay issues.

Tree hugger.
I am all for taking care of the planet as this is what God in trusted to us.
But it can go too far. I just ask for common sense.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
But an electric car/truck exceed any CAFE std does it not?
My point was why have a truck do 65mph up hill if it reduces range and increase recharge cost. For tandem driving teams 500 miles is not a large range. They can drive back to back. I guess if they can reduce charge time to we'll under 30min then there might not be delay issues.

Tree hugger.
I am all for taking care of the planet as this is what God in trusted to us.
But it can go too far. I just ask for common sense.
If I misconstrued I apologise but I was responding to the post where you were talking about supercars and why would " they" allow this performance. Maybe it's not meant this way by you but everytime I hear the term 'tree hugger' used it's meant to be derogatory . Usually it's by guys I know who drive F350 diesels to make sure everyone knows they have adequately sized testes. As for what God wants or doesn't the world already has enough people who claim to know what he wants so I'll leave that to them although my sneaking suspicion is that none of them really "know"....

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
If I misconstrued I apologise but I was responding to the post where you were talking about supercars and why would " they" allow this performance. Maybe it's not meant this way by you but everytime I hear the term 'tree hugger' used it's meant to be derogatory . Usually it's by guys I know who drive F350 diesels to make sure everyone knows they have adequately sized testes. As for what God wants or doesn't the world already has enough people who claim to know what he wants so I'll leave that to them although my sneaking suspicion is that none of them really "know"....

No one knows.
It is called faith.

Have an F150.
21 years old with 260,000.
My mule.

Tree huggers.
With age you see long term trends.
The tree huggers I refer to are the ones who, in the 70's pushed for plastic bag use instead of paper. As paper killed trees. So oil better than farm raised trees. Then 20 years later they push for paper use or bag use as plastic bags are filling landfills.
Tree huggers do what "Feels" right.
Conservationists do what they "think" is right based on science, research and testing.
Both make mistakes but I am more a thinker than a feeler.
Will never know for sure who is right or if both right to some extent.

Last edited:

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
Nothing wrong having a truck, especially ones that are actually used which it sounds like yours is. I drive a truck at work everyday. I'm referring to a subset who own a truck because of what they believe it says about them. I know guys who work at a local public works department who have $60,000 trucks who ask to borrow the work truck to pick up stuff at the local home Depot because they don't want to scratch the bed and think my mk7 surely brings my sexuality into question.
Faith is believing in something in spite of a lack of evidence and it's considered a good thing the stronger the belief the less evidence there is so there really is no way to argue against it so not much point. I just wish they could figure out which is the 'real' one . Like with gravity, the is no Presbyterian gravity or Catholic gravity or Muslim gravity there's just gravity accepted worldwide because those facts aren't left to interpretation