GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DINAN

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
An increase is an increase, no matter how minimal it is. Lean condition is something that should be avoided no matter what, even if it's "minimal". Fueling in the EA888 gen3 is a marvel of precision and personally I wouldn't change boost or air supply without altering the pressure/flow of the fuel. I don't bite the "minimal alteration in something will do no harm" moto. Of course, you can stand by your assumptions.
Sounds good. My car is staying on stock tune as my mk2 is the fun car. My point is most vendors put a lot of time making these products and saying it does something negative without actually proof Is pretty weak. Many people have put many miles on the NPM without any prove able problems. 99% of people on this forum tune without a wide band gauge so most tunes on the market could have a lean condition that may not be know as most don't monitor this. The Fed and you could be very accurate but without proof it's not really fair to a respectful vendor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
We don't have proof on the Dinan, but there has been testing done on various piggybacks that do not change the fuel pressure. They do have leaner spikes where the JB1 for example matches the stock fuel trim and looking at STFT, it is (or can be dialed) to 0 like stock.

One is proactive and the other is reactive. I haven't heard of failures from NPM style piggybacks but could be wrong.

As for tuning without a wideband, we do not have a full tuning solution so you have no control over this. We can only use what the canned tunes dial in. Plus our stock primary o2 sensor is a wideband. I have numerous logs from all sorts of cars and tunes and none run lean.

Edit - Personally I run a JB4 because I can keep fueling safe like stock and get the benefits of a piggyback. I enjoy new products to the market though and think this is priced well.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
We don't have proof on the Dinan, but there has been testing done on various piggybacks that do not change the fuel pressure. They do have leaner spikes where the JB1 for example matches the stock fuel trim and looking at STFT, it is (or can be dialed) to 0 like stock.

One is proactive and the other is reactive. I haven't heard of failures from NPM style piggybacks but could be wrong.

As for tuning without a wideband, we do not have a full tuning solution so you have no control over this. We can only use what the canned tunes dial in. Plus our stock primary o2 sensor is a wideband. I have numerous logs from all sorts of cars and tunes and none run lean.

Edit - Personally I run a JB4 because I can keep fueling safe like stock and get the benefits of a piggyback. I enjoy new products to the market though and think this is priced well.
Well said sir lol I guess I'm just arguing to argue at this point. I agree the JB4 seems to be the go to at this point.

I still enjoy the stock power we will see a few years down the road. If I don't get in an s3 or R I may play around with this car a bit more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
The Dinan warranty is just that.....the factory warranty for the specific engine related item is replaced with Dinan covering the claim. Now getting either to man up for a claim is strictly YMMV. IMHO, Dinan offering a VW product will only be a valid offering when you see Dinan putting its reputation on the line like in a racing series like it did with M5 engines for Daytona prototypes. As many have pointed out, it is a weak product offering for MK7 currently, but that may change.
I don't think this is true for their Dinatronic "Sport" line of devices. I recall seeing a comp for BMW, this product vs. another device (for more than a grand more) which did provide what you mention here.

This "sport" product seems conservative enough where I may not worry too much.

Dinan appears to get CARB certification (pending on the VW sport device) on their products which might prevent CARB or EPA from busting through your front door at 3am [emoji57]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
I don't think this is true for their Dinatronic "Sport" line of devices.

That's true. For this boost controller, only the unit itself is covered.

"DINANTRONICS*Sport products are warranted against material and workmanship defects for a 1-year, unlimited mileage period from the date of original purchase. This warranty does not cover any consequential damages (neither parts nor labor) that may be caused as a result of the installation or use of this product."
-https://www.dinancars.com/warranty/

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf

I don't know all that much about lean fuel conditions on power modules, but it does compensate to some degree. Here's the product info from ECS:

"...effectively utilizes the factory ECU, in tandem with itself, in order to re-map boost, fueling, and timing for optimum*performance."
-https://www.ecstuning.com/b-dinan-parts/dinantronics-sport-performance-tuner/d440-0040~din/

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
I don't know guys, I might pull the trigger on this lightweight. Yeah it only jumps 20 HP at its highest, and it surely isn't the heavyweight champion of piggy that JB4 is with its lead-filled gloves, but it seems a conservative pick. Who knows, I may change my tune and splice an AFR wire in a JB4 instead. So many choices.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Low price includes everything including shipping. A nice bluetooth interface.

Gains are smaller than most if not all.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie

robbiec

Passed Driver's Ed
OK I just pulled the trigger on this. $136 for 20 hp/20+ ft-lb may be the best deal ever. That is if this thing actually works. I cannot find any reviews from a GTI owner. I spent about half an hour reading about this on BMW forums. There are several positive reviews for the BMW N20 engine, which is a comparable 2 liter turbo. If it works on that engine, I feel there is a good chance that performance will be similar on the VAG platform. Apparently there is a similar Burger/JB device for the N20 engine as well.

Hopefully it arrives next week. I'll post my observations.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
OK I just pulled the trigger on this. $136 for 20 hp/20+ ft-lb may be the best deal ever. That is if this thing actually works. I cannot find any reviews from a GTI owner. I spent about half an hour reading about this on BMW forums. There are several positive reviews for the BMW N20 engine, which is a comparable 2 liter turbo. If it works on that engine, I feel there is a good chance that performance will be similar on the VAG platform. Apparently there is a similar Burger/JB device for the N20 engine as well.

Hopefully it arrives next week. I'll post my observations.

I'm sure it will work, since Dinan is a reputable enough company that most BMW dealers sell their products. I'm curious to hear if the small HP/TQ bump is noticeable though, so please keep us posted!