GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What oil do you run?

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
On my 2009 GTi -Tsi motor I have always used Mobile 1 0w-40 (full synthetic) and OEM filter with change intervals at around 5000 miles.

On my 1998 GTi VR6 I used the same as above.

My other current vehicle (still have the 2009 GTi too) which is a 2017 GTi Sport I only have 2300 miles and I will have oil changes done at the dealer. If I choose to do my own it will again be Mobil 1 0w-40 synthetic.

I've had great luck with it, so I see no reason to change.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Liqui Moly Special Tec Long Life 5W-30. Here is my thread all about it. About to change my oil again and don't really have any complaints with this oil. Haven't burned off anything noticeable in 10K miles; something a lot of 1.8t owners are complaining about.

Anyone recommend I pick up the same oil or change it up for something better?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
thicker oil isn't necessarily better. Car is spec'd for 30 wt and 40 wt oils. Stick to recommended oils while you are under the manufacturers warranty period.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion

s.hasan546

Passed Driver's Ed
i used amsoil in all my previous cars and had great results. But the vw dealer near me does $30-$50 oil changes... might have to go with w.e they use lol

chuncomunco

Passed Driver's Ed
Just got my UOA in from Blackstone. Sent them Mobil 1 0W-40 with 5,560 miles. Car has 13,466 mile on it.

The shear is quite high which concerns me. My current fill is Liquimoly Leichtlauf. I hope i see better results.

Posted a pic in case anyone is interested.

Last edited:

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Contacted Liqui Moly to see what they recommend for the EA888:

What I sent them:

Regard
Best VW 502, 503 or 504 oil for my MK7 Golf 1.8 TSI EA888?
Hello, I have a 2016 MK7 Golf with the 1.8t TSI EA888 engine. Service manual recommends I use a 5W-30 oil with VW 502, 503 or 504 approvals. I change the oils every 10,000 miles as recommended per the factory. What Liqui Moly oil do you recommend I look at purchasing? Thank you!
E-Mail_bitte_weiterleiten_an_mike_crosby@liqui-moly_com

Response:
Dear Michael,

thank you for your inquiry and your interest in LIQUI MOLY products.

I recommend you as motor oil for your Golf our LIQUI MOLY Top Tec 4200 SAE 5W-30 part-no. 2004
(1 l).
This modern synthetic oil fulfills the required specification VW 504.00 which exceeds the 502.00 and the 503.00 and is therefore well-suited for you.
The Top Tec 4200 ensures a fast lubrication of the cold engine and provides a stable lubricating film.

Additionally, i recommend you also our LIQUI MOLY Cera Tec part-no. 20002.
By a combination of an synthetic friction modifier and a ceramic solid lubricant prevents the Cera Tec the direct metal-to-metal contact and reduce so the friction and the wear.
Especially modern turbo charged engines benefit from the properties of the Cera Tec.

I send you our product informations in the attachment.

Should you have any further questions, please contact us.

Freundliche Grüße / Best regards

i. A. Roman Göser
Anwendungstechniker
application engineer

F & E / Anwendungstechnik

Phone: +49 731 1420-644
Fax: +49 731 1420-82
roman.goeser@liqui-moly.de

LIQUI MOLY GmbH
Jerg-Wieland-Straße 4 | 89081 Ulm | GERMANY

www.liqui-moly.de

Amtsgericht Ulm HRB 1383 | Geschäftsführer: Ernst Prost
Court of registration Ulm, HRB 1383 | Managing Director: Ernst Prost

LIQUI MOLY ist Deutschlands beliebteste Motorenöl-Marke!
LIQUI MOLY is Germany´s most popular motor oil brand!

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Shearing is usually due to fuel dilution in direct injection engines, which blackstone isn't good at picking up. That being said, its low for a 40wt, but on the higher end of a 30wt, so still within the range the manufacturer recommends (w-30, w-40 for this platform).

It would probably be far more cost effective to just change your oil earlier (6-7k) then buy a non inexpensive oil and change it at 8k. (mobil1 0w-40 is crazy cheap compared to liquid moly).

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Castrol & M1 0W-40 on Sale

I saw an ad today (Friday, 11/24) on bobistheoilguy.com that indicated Castrol EDGE 0W-40 was on sale in Canada for $26 a five-gallon jug. On a hunch, I looked on WalMart's USA website, and sure enough the same offer is there now. I was able to buy the last two jugs of Castrol 0W-40 available in my local store, and jugs of Mobil 1's 0W-20 and 5W-30, all for $19.97 each. Pretty good deal for those of us who change our own oil. It helps that I believe Castrol's EDGE 0W-40 is state of the art.

copperbeech

Passed Driver's Ed
From factory:

- Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30 VW 504 00/507 00 (= Pennzoil Platinum EURO LX VW 504 00/507 00)

I have leftover of this PP Euro LX 0W30 when we had our 2015 TDI GSW.

I am planning to use this oil for our recently acquired 2018 GOLF R.

My only question is re the 504/507 certification. Does the diesel 504/507 supersede/include 505 (gasser)? (Only 502 and 505 are shown on the oil fill cap).