GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New MK7 GTD

sturgeon boy

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everyone first time here didn't realise we had a UK section

i was wondering As the title says just got myself a 2014 gtd and was wondering what people have done to them

i dont have nav so that's one of the things id like to add and maybe some sort of stereo upgrade and i was also thinking about a map 185 is good but could be better

any tips on the electronic stuff would be good in the settings

also is there anyway of adding a usb port for the stereo as the only thing i can see is an sd card slot ?

thanks in advance

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The SD slot is the best thing as the USB is flaky.

USB if you have it is in the cubby infront of the gearstick

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Mine is a 2014 and it has a multi pin connector in the pocket in front of the gear stick. I have an ipod plugged into mine but you may be able to get a USB adaptor that plugs in here. If your car has advanced phone prep there maybe USB ports in the armrest storage.

Failing all that SD card is the way to go as said above. They are cheap and hold plenty, just buy a card with fast access speed or you may get music drop outs.

sturgeon boy

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks for this I've bought the charger cable for the iPhone to connect to the cubby hole infront of the gear stick as the fag lighter is in plain sight i don't want cables lying around anyone upgraded the stereo ?

Bakili

Ready to race!
Upgrading stereo won't be easy stuff. It will cost you and some controls might not work properly. If you need navigation, dealer does Kenwood add on module around £599.
If you want improvents in sound, just get oem helix subwoofer.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

sturgeon boy

Passed Driver's Ed
went into my local dealers who informed me that i can't buy the sub for the boot as its only a factory spec option for 2017 models which i know is crap there just not interested if your not buying a new car
i have seen a few options from helix, alpine and even bose the helix is available as a plug and play for about £370
1 also saw an MIB2 unit fitted for £1250 which seems a ridiculous amount for second hand
Keeton did you get the duty box ?

sturgeon boy

Passed Driver's Ed
called into another dealer today to be told that if i want a better stereo i should have bought a better car
very helpful NOT
on another note the general opinion is a map give about 220 bhp and 450 lb torque does anyone have any experience of this ?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Either you rip out the whole unit in the glove box & screen from the center dash & replace with Kenwood, pioneer, alpin etc...or by the Dynaudio speakers from the dealer parts & replace direct like for like.

That's all 8...four bass/mid, & four tweeters, front tweeters are built into the pillar trim. So remove all door cards drill out rivets & remove OEM speakers & rivet in new Dynaudio & replace door trim cards...then remove the "A" pillar trim & fit new with built in Dynaudio speakers.

sturgeon boy

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm after better / louder quality the nav would be good as well the thing is i have a mk4 golf too which has £3000 of stereo in it and to suddenly come back to standard seems hard I've seen loads of standard golf 7 units on Ebay inc. Nav for a few hundred pound why is it not just a straight swap ? maybe with a bit of programming to reset the security I'm looking at getting the plug and play Helix system but is that just a sub with a DSP as if theres no amp what powers it ?
i looked at the Alpine made for golf 7 unit at a local dealers but its £1400 + £360 for the DVD player in the glove box + fitting is quite an expensive proposition.

the Kenwood add on module to give nav only is £599 all of which point to using the map on the phone option
the quality of the standard speakers seems ok it just won't go loud enough

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Stock speakers are not that good, Dynaudio cones are way better. You could also get the Dynaudio amp which sits under the passenger seat & then fit the Dynaudio sub which sits inside the skinny space saver spare wheel..That could all be reto fitted to the existing non-nav head unit as that just then acts as a pre-amp.

MK6 Golf loads of units stolen, so VW made it VERY difficult to retro fit head units on MK7, major problems even with so called "cracked" units from Poland, Russia etc. Basically the unit has to told it is not stolen & being fitted legit , so requires connection back to Germany using the VW Fazit computer system.

Bakili

Ready to race!
There is group on facebook called vw retrofit. If you contact Alex, he does all mk7 retrofitting on nav but prices not cheap. You looking about £1050 to upgrade to vw discovery pro mib2 with navigation. It's a lot of money for navigation, my personal opinion.
What I done, got decent magnetic vent holder for my phone, and navigation sorted. Also fitted Helix Plug and Play Subwoofer, which made a lot difference to sound quality. Keep checking ebay, occasionally kit pops out on eBay and you can get it for decent price.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

sturgeon boy

Passed Driver's Ed
it was Alex from vw retrofit on Facebook that quoted me £1250 the salvaged equipment looks good but thats a lot of money for second hand.

I'm looking for the helix equipment at the moment but they are all listed in Germany for about £370 ish
anyone any experience of the remaps ?

keeton

Passed Driver's Ed
this is mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk