GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How hard to DIY IS38 install?

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
How hard is it to DIY install an IS38 turbo? I've installed air suspension and downpipes a couples times before, but would be afraid to do a clutch job myself, so that's about where my mechanical experience lies.

Is there a step by step diy thread or video out there? All I could find was some dude's shaky video on youtube which doesn't help me much. :D

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Here is the thread for Golf IS12 to IS20 upgrade. IS20 to IS38 is pretty much the same thing with a few minor variances. Several of us have followed this thread with success. Two GTI IS20 to IS38 guys (and at least one with a PP) just did the upgrade and posted some findings in the thread. I would say it probably isn't as bad as a clutch, but it is a lot more involved than doing a DP.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29396

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
As toledospeed said its not too bad but there are things to be careful with. On my PP it took me 2 full days. I will create a video explaining my findings tonight and post it on my channel. Honestly for the bottom line just flipping the turbo over and disconnecting the oil line is so much easier. It takes 15 min. Ill explain that better.

If I have to do this job again it will prob take me no time at all.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Its air suspension level difficulty. You can do it. There are only a couple of snag points that can make it take a couple hours longer than it should. Some of the fluid lines can be fussy to pop out. But other than that, its not too bad.

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
Here is the thread for Golf IS12 to IS20 upgrade. IS20 to IS38 is pretty much the same thing with a few minor variances. Several of us have followed this thread with success.
If I have to do this job again it will prob take me no time at all.
Its air suspension level difficulty. You can do it.
Thanks guys, that's all encouraging to hear.

Is the IS38 compatible with IS20 downpipes? I already have a downpipe for my GTI, so reusing it would be ideal.

teemmy

Ready to race!
You need to be patient for sure. It was pretty frustrating for me at some parts. One of my oil lines to the engine block would not come out so I ended up just ripping off the line and buying a replacement line @___@

Just do it step by step.

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
Honestly for that line flipping the turbo and disconnecting it then is a lot easier.

Ricked_Em

Go Kart Champion
As mentioned the lines are the hardest part. Took me 6 hours but I am rather mechanical. It not that hard per say but more time consuming. A lot of stuff has to be remove but have a buddy come over and throw it up on stands and you should be done by the end of the day.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion