GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECU Tune with exhaust crackles

Antonioni fasano

Passed Driver's Ed
Technically, you don't need any of that. The stratified tuning is different than the Cobb stage packages. As I see it, you tell stratified what mods you have (which could be none, but they advise to upgrade your downpipe for the crackles) and they build a tune around your car, completely custom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure, but I think you can buy the Cobb Accessport from stratified http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=240_254&products_id=689 , and it comes with pre loaded maps from stratified on the accessport already.

MK7.5_Roa

Ready to race!
John@Unitronic "Coming soon !"

I also suggested the 4500K threshold because I can see how that would get annoying during normal daily driving.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
OP just a bit of info, your buddies car in Brazil will have the secondary multiport fuel injection as well as the direct injection all US/NAR cars have. Because of this the pops and crackles on decel will be more pronounced. Not saying the tunes with this "feature" added don't deliver on their promises, just don't expect the exact same sound or number of pops/crackles on decel in your US car.

I'm UM tuned and it has this added, on decel the car can definitely pop and fart a good one, sometimes even one extremely loud crack. On factory exhaust it's present, I can only imagine how loud it would be with an aftermarket cat back. Also, it's not annoyingly loud if you've got music on and the windows up, and it adds some flare and excitement to putting around a parking lot or structure haha.

MaxM97

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SEL 6MT
I'm UM tuned and it has this added, on decel the car can definitely pop and fart a good one, sometimes even one extremely loud crack. On factory exhaust it's present, I can only imagine how loud it would be with an aftermarket cat back. Also, it's not annoyingly loud if you've got music on and the windows up, and it adds some flare and excitement to putting around a parking lot or structure haha.

I'm going off topic but how do you like the UM tune? Do you have the adjustable UM tune which builds boost for launch? I'm in CT so they're fairly local to me and I've been interested in them.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I'm going off topic but how do you like the UM tune? Do you have the adjustable UM tune which builds boost for launch? I'm in CT so they're fairly local to me and I've been interested in them.

I have the ECU/TCU combo and the car is transformed with a tune. UM is a smaller company so dealer network/support for some might be tough but if you're local I think you should definitely consider them. I regret nothing about going with an "underdog" tuner, and my long term goals of going big turbo can be taken care of by them as well. Drivability and power are great.

I will say that I'm in an R so I don't have the accessport/pro tune option so your decision might be more difficult!

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
As stated before stratified automotive has a tune with crackles and pops. It's still in the early phases but soon we'll be offering it with different noise levels like we do on other cars. The OEM downpipe thus far has been too restrictive to properly get the pops and crackles noise. So that is still being looked into. Aftermarket DP's aren't a problem though. Videos should be coming soon. Unfortunately, I'm the development car with OEM DP so I can't provide you guys a video.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
As stated before stratified automotive has a tune with crackles and pops. It's still in the early phases but soon we'll be offering it with different noise levels like we do on other cars. The OEM downpipe thus far has been too restrictive to properly get the pops and crackles noise. So that is still being looked into. Aftermarket DP's aren't a problem though. Videos should be coming soon. Unfortunately, I'm the development car with OEM DP so I can't provide you guys a video.

Good info! Would you say from the tuning/testing that you guys have done that the lack of MPI is NOT a factor in the volume/quantity/times the car would pop?

Would be good info to have, since my understanding has been that DI only doesn't have the same effect because of where the fuel goes/how it's delivered/etc.

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
Good info! Would you say from the tuning/testing that you guys have done that the lack of MPI is NOT a factor in the volume/quantity/times the car would pop?

Would be good info to have, since my understanding has been that DI only doesn't have the same effect because of where the fuel goes/how it's delivered/etc.

Not having MPI(multiport injection?) isn't a factor. Stratified offers their snaps and crackles tune on almost all platforms they tune, MK6, Focus ST, Fiesta ST, Focus RS, Mk7, Speed3. Which are all direction injection.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Not having MPI(multiport injection?) isn't a factor. Stratified offers their snaps and crackles tune on almost all platforms they tune, MK6, Focus ST, Fiesta ST, Focus RS, Mk7, Speed3. Which are all direction injection.

Sorry, yes MPI or the multiport injection isn't used on north american region cars. It could have something to do with the Rest of World ECU tuning but there is a difference untuned, and at least from what I've heard/seen. It could be a few factors causing that, but if Stratified gets the same results with no limiting factor on DI only that's great. Not being a tuner and knowing all the variables to make the back fires and pops that is just what I had read and come to understand from research.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
So how exactly do they enable these crackles ?

I believe it's just fuel being sprayed into the chambers with the throttle closed, which will ignite and pop against a hot turbo. Most fuel injection systems cut off the injectors when the throttle blade is closed on decel, so adding a few pulses of fuel would do that. It also has the effect of cylinder cooling, but the noise is much cooler to talk about haha. This is likely disabled on US cars because emissions.

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
I am not completely sure but I think they delay the fuel cut and the ignition point for a few seconds and then there is the crackles in the exhaust.

To enable it you have to have a tune with it enabled. I can't go into how we make the noises.