GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clear bra OR Ceremic coating (Front bumper)

Clear Bra OR Ceramic Coating ?

• Clear Bra

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • Ceramic Coating

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
What do you guys recommend?

Car only has 5095 miles (8200km) and starting to have very few nicks/chips on the front bumper.
In order to prevent further wear, I'd like to either get a clear bra or do the ceramic coating on the front bumper.

What do you recommend and why?

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I have both, I had the 3M PPF installed and topped with a coating. Coatings don't offer any dent, chip, or ding protection. PPF does. If protection is your goal, PPF. The coating just adds the beading affects and gloss that the rest of the car has so it doesn't stand out as much.

Coatings(most) just reduce the chance of wash induced swirls and prohibit contaminants from sticking to your car. They also offer some leveling affects of orange peal. Orange peal was my main reason for getting a coating. I don't think you can vote between the two for the reason you want one, PPF is the only option. The coating on the front of my car is getting sand blasted like any uncoated paint would.

Also, consider the leading edge of the roof above the windshield, I have 2 stone chips there and someone warned me to get that PPF'd also. I didn't, and now I have 2 stone chips up there hahaha. Darn. Good luck.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the input guys. I was under the impression, coating gave some sort of protection.

Can your typical detailing / wax to the clear bra have the same effect as ceramic coating? I'd like the bumper to bead off water like the rest of the car without having to spend $$$ on the ceramic coating (if I can)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the input guys. I was under the impression, coating gave some sort of protection.

Can your typical detailing / wax to the clear bra have the same effect as ceramic coating? I'd like the bumper to bead off water like the rest of the car without having to spend $$$ on the ceramic coating (if I can)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Most carnauba wax products can be applied to a clear bra yes.

As for care, I would use a shampoo that didn't leave any films behind. Never use abrasives or a clay bar on a clear bra. General rule of thumb. When it gets beat up to a certain point, have it replaced. That's the beauty of it.

Have you had a quote given to you? Will they be installing the laser precut PPF or do they free hand? If the installer free hands I would have the entire hood panel covered, most precut PPFs only go about 1/4 up the hood.

As for a cheap coating that can go over clear bra, try CQuatrz UK. It's very easy to use and the results are professional. It will run you about $70 and less than an hour of your time if done right.