GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help Dead Battery Cause Unknown

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If you run your battery down too far it can cause all kinds of weird things to happen. Let a dealer install the new battery. They will reset everything.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
When your battery does need replacing in the normal 4 or 5 years, get a larger capacity battery. For all the electronics we have our capacity is small. GolfDave did an excellent DIY concerning. http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7926

Note that he's not upgrading an R, but rather his UK model 1.4 TSi. Do not assume that the same options apply to the R.

Don't hold me to this, but I think I recall that the 2.0 engine already has the larger case battery. Not something I've paid attention to, so I'll have to go and have a look.

Neil

FlyGTI2

Ready to race!
If you live in a hot environment batteries typically only last around two years at the most, the lead plates will swell and degrade the cell. Use this opportunity to install a proper quality battery.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Don't hold me to this, but I think I recall that the 2.0 engine already has the larger case battery. Not something I've paid attention to, so I'll have to go and have a look.

Nope, I went and looked and the R does have the same medium case battery that golfdave shows in his 1.4 TSI. We could therefore go to a higher capacity battery in the way he describes.

Not sure I'd bother do this unless my car was habitually parked outside overnight and in a particularly cold part of the country.

Neil

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Nope, I went and looked and the R does have the same medium case battery that golfdave shows in his 1.4 TSI. We could therefore go to a higher capacity battery in the way he describes.

Not sure I'd bother do this unless my car was habitually parked outside overnight and in a particularly cold part of the country.

Neil

Cold doesn't kill batteries, heat does!

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
If you live in a hot environment batteries typically only last around two years at the most, the lead plates will swell and degrade the cell. Use this opportunity to install a proper quality battery.

Most especially when it's sitting near a very hot turbo charger. My wife's CX-7 eats batteries too.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Cold doesn't kill batteries, heat does!

Well, both really.

It would have been nice had VW chosen to put the battery at the rear of the car (like my old Mini Cooper S and many BMWs). There's the double benefit of getting it out of the hot engine compartment and moving 40+ lbs from the front to the back to make the car less nose heavy.

Neil

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
When the time comes I plan to retrofit an Optima red top in mine. Idk if I'll put it in the trunk or just build a new battery box in the bay, but either way it's my plan.

In both my big turbo Dodge Cummins, and my wife's RHD XJ Cherokee (mail jeep) they've proven themselves to be very reliable. By design the factory box props the batt up higher than it needs to be IIRC from my transmission mount install. It shouldn't be too big of a job to gain the extra clearance it'll require

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
My Mk5 R32 had it in the rear. Still had the original battery when I sold it after 9 years.

Yeah, the original rear-mounted battery in my Mini lasted about 10 years too.

Unfortunately it's expensive to do, since there have to be long and very heavy gauge battery cables all the way from the engine to the back of the car. Easy to see why VW decided not to do that any more.

Neil

bebersol

Ready to race!
When the time comes I plan to retrofit an Optima red top in mine. Idk if I'll put it in the trunk or just build a new battery box in the bay, but either way it's my plan.

In both my big turbo Dodge Cummins, and my wife's RHD XJ Cherokee (mail jeep) they've proven themselves to be very reliable. By design the factory box props the batt up higher than it needs to be IIRC from my transmission mount install. It shouldn't be too big of a job to gain the extra clearance it'll require

Optimas are crap since the company was bought. I installed an Odyssey, great battery. Some people like Bralle. AGM are better than lead acid, Lithiums are uber expensive. There are very good threads on the MK6 forum and the Vortax on batteries.