GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stolen Dark met blue GTi PP Birmingham

quackhandle

Hi,

Sorry if this is wrong place, but 11 days ago I had my GTI stolen from my driveway (the scum broke my back door and took the keys) I only had it two months, it was metallic dark blue performance pack.

it was on private plate BO55 NEB and had the original plates in the boot KR66 OJO.

Looking into car crime it is rife, the police cuts are biting hard and the thieves know this. if you haven't, please sort out security on your car, it was on my to do list, and what an idiot I feel now. Never realised how easy it is to steal the "keyless" entry cars.

Anyway hello from me.

qh

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Hi,

Sorry if this is wrong place, but 11 days ago I had my GTI stolen from my driveway (the scum broke my back door and took the keys) I only had it two months, it was metallic dark blue performance pack.

it was on private plate BO55 NEB and had the original plates in the boot KR66 OJO.

Looking into car crime it is rife, the police cuts are biting hard and the thieves know this. if you haven't, please sort out security on your car, it was on my to do list, and what an idiot I feel now. Never realised how easy it is to steal the "keyless" entry cars.

Anyway hello from me.

qh

I saw the post on FB, my brother had his Fiesta ST stolen from my Dad's drive in the daytime no keys used and it wasn't keyless.
Not what you want to hear but don't expect to see the car again :(

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Hi,

Anyway hello from me.

qh

My car is keyless entry. What can be done to help prevent this type of thing?

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
My car is keyless entry. What can be done to help prevent this type of thing?

What's keyless got to do with it? :confused:
The OP said they went into the house to get the keys, my bro's car was not keyless, so in answer to your question (that is if you read replies) perhaps is to not own a car or rent , loan one?

marvin1

Ready to race!
Keys should never be left in one's house unless hidden or in a very secure safe. I keep both my keys on my person, which some here may consider to be inconvenient but not for me but possibly for their partner, should they want to use it.

marvin1

Ready to race!
If you have a garage use it, best not to leave the car on the driveway.

Frankly that's absurd from a practical aspect. Just how many houses today can comfortable take the modern car, getting longer and wider with every iteration? And most people fill their garages with junk or clutter etc. Only some of the most expensive houses, here in the SE, where I live, might have one or two garages possibly large enough for their cars assuming they can be bothered to put their cars in them.
We have two cars but the smallest, a Hyundai 110 can be put away in our garage integrated into our 90 year old semi. My car wouldn't go in there though such that I could exit it!:rolleyes:

quackhandle

The OP said they went into the house to get the keys, my bro's car was not keyless, so in answer to your question (that is if you read replies) perhaps is to not own a car or rent , loan one?

It's a complex issue with no easy answer. My fault was not having good home security however you don't know this until you are broken into. Who knew that you can snap a barrel in a 5 slide lock PVC door in under 30 seconds? Doing only brief research there is an issue with keyless cars with the push button start, esp the Fiesta STs an Focus STs/RS. They smash a window, use the OBD port, plug in some software, tells the car there's a key present, drive away. Lights and CCTV don't stop them.

Then you think don't buy one of these, or a non flash car - they will still attempt to steal it anyway. The police said they like to be quick and quiet, so it's putting as many noisy deterrents in their way as you can - immobiliser, PIN code to start the car, tracker, that can't be easily found, steering lock, wheel lock, driveway bollard, garage yes. Won't stop them trying but you can only try your best, which is what I am now doing.

Please don't be like me "I'll get around to that" do it now.

qh

artur1292

Go Kart Champion

Well...... op said " if you haven't, please sort out security on your car, it was on my to do list, and what an idiot I feel now. Never realised how easy it is to steal the "keyless" entry cars." so I'm curious what he suggests to do to sort out security on the car and why the keyless cars are easy to break into.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Well...... op said " if you haven't, please sort out security on your car, it was on my to do list, and what an idiot I feel now. Never realised how easy it is to steal the "keyless" entry cars." so I'm curious what he suggests to do to sort out security on the car and why the keyless cars are easy to break into.

You ,may have still missed the point, if someone is determined to steal a car they will, keyless or not, I doubt the theives wonder around until they see a car to steal, more so they have been casing the car for some time.
It's not just 'flash' cars that get stolen, the neighbour's old Polo got taken off the drive, they didn't break in , simply put it on a low loader and off they went, 2 doors down was a newer model Polo which was untouched.
I know of a 'GTI' but when you put the reg in DVLA it shows a 1.4 Golf :confused:

quackhandle

Yes you missed the point. The keyless cars "seem" easier to break into going by the videos I've seen on YT, (at the risk of repeating myself) They smash a window, use the OBD port, plug in some software, tells the car there's a key present, drive away. Lights and CCTV don't stop them. I can only suggest trying to move the OBD port, put a blocker on it. Add a PIN code to start the car, add a tracker, add immobiliser, add steering lock, etc. Nothing is theft proof but you put as many obstacles in their path as you can, the more the better as it slows them up.

And maybe write a letter of complaint to Ford/BMW/Audi/VW et al, if they plan to do anything about this serious flaw. Good luck with that.

qh

marvin1

Ready to race!
Keyless entry is yet one of those solutions to a non-existent problem ergo inherent flaws. This is the way of car design and attracting future owners to specify problematic gimmicks.

sadsac

Passed Driver's Ed
Common problem and has been on BBC Crimewatch and a documentary - see video links on this page: https://www.euro-secure.com/lock-snapping/

Upgrade your Euro Cylinder on your upvc doors people - I used Barnsley Locks who were recommended on Pistonheads

Sorry to hear about your loss, thieving scum

It's a complex issue with no easy answer. My fault was not having good home security however you don't know this until you are broken into. Who knew that you can snap a barrel in a 5 slide lock PVC door in under 30 seconds?qh