GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 Instalation Guide (1.8t)

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
You should know approximately how much coolant was lost. You will need to get about that much back in. If it gets hot, then stop obviously...

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
I think you are good to drive and refill as in the OP. If the cap is partially on, it will overflow. Clear codes and keep filing her up as she needs it.

SO right now you can barely see coolant in the overflow tank. Should I fill to min line or let it be?

Also can the overflow tank blow up or does it have air pressure release?

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
SO right now you can barely see coolant in the overflow tank. Should I fill to min line or let it be?

Also can the overflow tank blow up or does it have air pressure release?

Fill to min line and keep idling with cap off. Let it heat up and then shut off and fill again to min line as needed. Repeat a couple times. Then put cap fully on and go for short drive. Check level again and fill as necessary. Repeat until coolant is staying put. It won't blow up.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Problem with having cap partially unscrewed is that it will try to build pressure and will overflow. Having cap secured allows it to fully pressurize and all will be fine.

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
Fill to min line and keep idling with cap off. Let it heat up and then shut off and fill again to min line as needed. Repeat a couple times. Then put cap fully on and go for short drive. Check level again and fill as necessary. Repeat until coolant is staying put. It won't blow up.

The problem with that is. If cap is off it overflows

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
The problem with that is. If cap is off it overflows

It must be really hot and full. You can run the heater on full blast to help out with circulation. Fill to min line and run with cap on then. If it idles ok, then try short drive. Keep an eye on the temp gauge;)

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Actually, defrost setting on full heat may be even better.

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
Actually, defrost setting on full heat may be even better.

Haha its 100f here no way running with heat. I went for a drive it asked for coolant letting it cool down and will add more

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
Ok car seems to be running good. Coolant seems to be creeping up to normal levels.

Thank you toledospeed. It was scary seeing almost 1 G of coolant splashing on the garage floor. Good thing it was overflow tank not fully closed.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Ok car seems to be running good. Coolant seems to be creeping up to normal levels.

Thank you toledospeed. It was scary seeing almost 1 G of coolant splashing on the garage floor. Good thing it was overflow tank not fully closed.

No problem, glad everything is ok now! Cheers

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for posting this. Looks like a ton of work. brb shooting myself. I'm good to run this turbo and the downpipe on the stage 1 APR tune while I get the JB4 setup properly, right?

edit: also it looks like you should be able to reuse the gaskets and seals considering they're still pretty new?

Last edited:

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
Thanks for posting this. Looks like a ton of work. brb shooting myself. I'm good to run this turbo and the downpipe on the stage 1 APR tune while I get the JB4 setup properly, right?

edit: also it looks like you should be able to reuse the gaskets and seals considering they're still pretty new?

You can run that turbo on the stock tune but with no benefit, so yes you will be fine. I reused many of the O rings but used a new manifold gasket but I was at 8000 miles or so. Buy the gaskets and O rings just in case you tear one. Cheap insurance at around $40 - $50 for the set if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

Yea you should be good, make sure to talk to George for setting up your JB4!