GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Southbend, no chatter. Fluidampr?

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Evening y'all.

Been awhile since I posted any sort of progress on my R, but figured I'd drop a line for some opinions; you know I love your guys/gals opinions right?

Any way. I had the phenomenal Emmanuele design team work on my little Peter Cotton tail today. I will be praising them elsewhere on the forum, but just know, you're in good hands.. like Allstate ya know?

I had them install my Southbend stg 3 daily, Fluidampr, iABED rear main seal and also perform an oil change( no seriously, I know how to drain oil from an engine), but was extremely happy/surprised at the results once the little rabbit rolled up to the front of the shop.

NO CHATTER. NONE. Unreal right? Every video I've seen of these clutches on EA888 chatter. Even guys with fluidamprs, who thought it would work, but still had chatter couldn't explain why they still had it.

https://youtu.be/UlT-uCXWCaE

At any rate, hope you guys enjoy my little girl voice and my happiness lol. Beers!

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Evening y'all.

Been awhile since I posted any sort of progress on my R, but figured I'd drop a line for some opinions; you know I love your guys/gals opinions right?

Any way. I had the phenomenal Emmanuele design team work on my little Peter Cotton tail today. I will be praising them elsewhere on the forum, but just know, you're in good hands.. like Allstate ya know?

I had them install my Southbend stg 3 daily, Fluidampr, iABED rear main seal and also perform an oil change( no seriously, I know how to drain oil from an engine), but was extremely happy/surprised at the results once the little rabbit rolled up to the front of the shop.

NO CHATTER. NONE. Unreal right? Every video I've seen of these clutches on EA888 chatter. Even guys with fluidamprs, who thought it would work, but still had chatter couldn't explain why they still had it.

At any rate, hope you guys enjoy my little girl voice and my happiness lol. Beers!

I met someone last weekend on a meetup for a Waterfest Cruise. They had a 16 R with a stage 2 Southbend clutch. I didn't hear much of a chatter. Maybe slightly if any.

I'm thinking maybe some people are just more sensitive to these sounds than others.

I'm looking into a clutch for when I get tuned and I'm still on the fence on going TTRS OEM DMF or Southbend Stage 3. Chatter would be the main reason for considering an upgraded DMF so if I'm okay with the SMF chatter then I would most certainly go Southbend.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
The sound you're talking about isn't clutch chatter, but gear rattle from the transmission, usually due to the reduced torsional damping after fitting a lightweight single mass flywheel and clutch system. You'll hear it at idle in neutral, especially with the A/C running.

Clutch chatter is when the clutch skips rapidly as you engage it. It's typically due to the clutch being contaminated (e.g. from a rear main seal oil leak), distorted/worn out, or from certain racing friction plate designs that just don't like being slipped as they're engaged.

That said, glad you've escaped the issue. My M3 track car with a lightweight single mass flywheel rattles at idle like a bag of bolts, even though it's a 6-cylinder engine and inherently smoother than a four. I knew it would do this, but it's still annoying. One workaround is to bump the idle speed up a couple or three hundred rpm to smooth out the engine's torque pulsations; another is to use a thicker grade of transmission oil to provide some extra damping there.

Neil

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
I met someone last weekend on a meetup for a Waterfest Cruise. They had a 16 R with a stage 2 Southbend clutch. I didn't hear much of a chatter. Maybe slightly if any.

I'm thinking maybe some people are just more sensitive to these sounds than others.

I'm looking into a clutch for when I get tuned and I'm still on the fence on going TTRS OEM DMF or Southbend Stage 3. Chatter would be the main reason for considering an upgraded DMF so if I'm okay with the SMF chatter then I would most certainly go Southbend.

I have to admit, I was a little concerned with some people having it and others not, but I now have no problem recommending their clutches to anyone. One thing to note; some say the pedal feel is similar to stock. Uhh no. This thing is stiff. Quite stiff; reminds me of the Cusco hyper single I had in my S2000. With that, I don't mind it, but was surprised since a lot of people said it felt like the factory pedal feel.

The sound you're talking about isn't clutch chatter, but gear rattle from the transmission, usually due to the reduced torsional damping after fitting a lightweight single mass flywheel and clutch system. You'll hear it at idle in neutral, especially with the A/C running.

Clutch chatter is when the clutch skips rapidly as you engage it. It's typically due to the clutch being contaminated (e.g. from a rear main seal oil leak), distorted/worn out, or from certain racing friction plate designs that just don't like being slipped as they're engaged.

That said, glad you've escaped the issue. My M3 track car with a lightweight single mass flywheel rattles at idle like a bag of bolts, even though it's a 6-cylinder engine and inherently smoother than a four. I knew it would do this, but it's still annoying. One workaround is to bump the idle speed up a couple or three hundred rpm to smooth out the engine's torque pulsations; another is to use a thicker grade of transmission oil to provide some extra damping there.

Neil
Thanks for a more in depth technical explanation Neil. I haven't used the AC yet, but if it becomes more prevalent issue with it on, I'll report back.

Only 400 more miles to go before the break-in period is over. Very excited!!

Mceric01

Ready to race!
Evening y'all.

I'm really happy to hear that. South bend stage 3 daily is what I have planned for my incoming 18 R. I too was worried about chatter as I haven't had a single mass flywheel before. Keep us posted if you get any chatter once the break-in period is over.

sixspeedz

Passed Driver's Ed

Yup! My GF says it sounds like a diesel, but I got used to it pretty quickly and it doesn't annoy me at all... because race car! :D

It got much more noticeable after the engine mount upgrade, but then after those broke in that quieted back down.

I haven't used the AC yet, but if it becomes more prevalent issue with it on, I'll report back.

Turn the AC on and idle, that's really the only time it happens to me. Not a big deal either way IMO.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx

Neil

I'm wondering if my rear main seal is leaking since I swear I hear some chatter. Not sure if what I'm hearing is chatter though.

Yup! My GF says it sounds like a diesel, but I got used to it pretty quickly and it doesn't annoy me at all... because race car! :D

It got much more noticeable after the engine mount upgrade, but then after those broke in that quieted back down.

Turn the AC on and idle, that's really the only time it happens to me. Not a big deal either way IMO.

When we met not the cruise to Waterfest your chatter...well it really wasn't that noticeable to me. I was surprised. I'm thinking maybe some people are more sensitive to it than others. I look forward to meeting up with you soon so I can hear it again and run through few more scenarios!

Either way...if I get let's say an AWE Switchpath exhaust (the downpipe) will I notice any chatter anyway since the exhaust would be louder? Just stuff I think about I guess...lol.

OP, nice post.

Terrafirma10

Passed Driver's Ed
I have just finished my break in period on my Southbend daily stage 3 clutch. And I have the transmission chatter that Neil is referring to at idle. But I love the clutch and the only way to put power down with a stage 2 tune. Of course after the install I have the top shock mount creaking issue. I sprayed it with some silicon spray today so hopefully it will fix it.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
I have just finished my break in period on my Southbend daily stage 3 clutch. And I have the transmission chatter that Neil is referring to at idle. But I love the clutch and the only way to put power down with a stage 2 tune. Of course after the install I have the top shock mount creaking issue. I sprayed it with some silicon spray today so hopefully it will fix it.

Do you also have the Fluidampr?

Also interested in the Southbend when I eventually do Is38/clutch upgrade.