GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2017, 11:23 PM   #494
RacingManiac
Senior Member
 
RacingManiac's Avatar
 
Drives: Night Blue Metallic PP GTI 2dr 6MT
Location: Michigan, USA
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 715
dat autocrosser lyfe:







taking 3 sets of tires to be flipped at a friend's tire mounting machine....

switching a set of Rival S 1.5 to another used RE71R set, and switching the PSS on the car right now to a set of Conti Extreme Contact Sport
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:49 PM   #495
RacingManiac
Senior Member
 
RacingManiac's Avatar
 
Drives: Night Blue Metallic PP GTI 2dr 6MT
Location: Michigan, USA
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 715
Fast run from this past weekend. The car is having some power cut issue that I am still not sure why. Not sure if its stability control related or something else. And one of my run the car just felt like down on power the whole time. Gonna try to do a coil and plug job and also maybe play around with VCDS to see if its a stability control thing.



The accel out of the last left hander it felt pretty soft.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:11 PM   #496
CDM MK7
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2017 GTI Autobahn DSG
Location: Canada
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
dat autocrosser lyfe:

taking 3 sets of tires to be flipped at a friend's tire mounting machine....

switching a set of Rival S 1.5 to another used RE71R set, and switching the PSS on the car right now to a set of Conti Extreme Contact Sport
Have you had some time with the Conti Sports yet? What do you think? I literally just put a brand new set on last night (coming from the PSS as well) but don't go to the circuit for another few weeks. On the road they feel great so far.
CDM MK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:30 PM   #497
RacingManiac
Senior Member
 
RacingManiac's Avatar
 
Drives: Night Blue Metallic PP GTI 2dr 6MT
Location: Michigan, USA
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 715
Well as far as DD tires go I think they are fine. I bought them to replace the PSSs for that use and they seem to be just fine for that. No noticeable differences in feel.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:21 AM   #498
RopeJumper13
Junior Member
 
Drives: GTI
Location: Arlington, VA
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2
Trying to pick up a new wheel/tire setup for GS. Tirerack is out of the 245/40 RE-71s but they have 245/45 ready to go. Is there anything that should hold me back from the 245/45? Maybe a little less steering response but I figured you can always just adjust the tire pressure.
RopeJumper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #499
-=max=-
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 SE PP
Location: Louisiana
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by RopeJumper13 View Post
Trying to pick up a new wheel/tire setup for GS. Tirerack is out of the 245/40 RE-71s but they have 245/45 ready to go. Is there anything that should hold me back from the 245/45? Maybe a little less steering response but I figured you can always just adjust the tire pressure.
Gearing is already tall, making slow stuff pretty painful. Taller tires will only make that worse. Coming from a FoST to a GTI, the main thing I noticed was how much faster the FoST got out of slow corners. Taller tires will not help that.
-=max=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:32 PM   #500
RacingManiac
Senior Member
 
RacingManiac's Avatar
 
Drives: Night Blue Metallic PP GTI 2dr 6MT
Location: Michigan, USA
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 715
245/45 is pretty tall though. From math its 4% larger and gets almost 2mph more. If you have a 6MT the gearing is already I think too tall that adding that isn't going to be great. And you might be more likely running into rubbing issue.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:55 AM   #501
RacingManiac
Senior Member
 
RacingManiac's Avatar
 
Drives: Night Blue Metallic PP GTI 2dr 6MT
Location: Michigan, USA
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 715


Run from this past weekend, 0.050 off GS win, unfortunately, as I coned a faster run...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:16 PM   #502
-=max=-
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 SE PP
Location: Louisiana
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post


Run from this past weekend, 0.050 off GS win, unfortunately, as I coned a faster run...
Nice run. I think if you had gotten closer to a bunch of those cones, it would have been an easy win.
-=max=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #503
RacingManiac
Senior Member
 
RacingManiac's Avatar
 
Drives: Night Blue Metallic PP GTI 2dr 6MT
Location: Michigan, USA
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 715
yeah I am not very good with getting close. One that I did in the next run was a +1...lol



That run actually looks worse, but I think I get on gas earlier in a lot of places...

For whatever reason my BT OBDII reader disappeared to my phone and I lost all the car data from SoloStorm. Still need to resolve that...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:03 PM   #504
GTI Chris
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2016 GTI SE PP
Location: Indiana
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3
Are you running the RE71's or Rival 1.5's right now?

What are your thoughts on the two?
GTI Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #505
RacingManiac
Senior Member
 
RacingManiac's Avatar
 
Drives: Night Blue Metallic PP GTI 2dr 6MT
Location: Michigan, USA
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 715
I have both....running Rival S 1.5 for national events and RE71Rs for locals. BFG has better contingencies(or in the case of ProSolo, only one with contingency) and I have a codriver than can win those, so BFG makes sense. I just been buying used RE71Rs for other events.

Driving wise, the BFGs feel much sloppier, there are more delays to your inputs and you need to lead the car more (turn in earlier) to get the car to work. They also have better tolerance to mistake, in that if you jam on the brake too late and turn in the car might still make it. Bridgestones are not very good with that. Bridgestones are much sharper and reactive to drive. I prefer their feel but I don't hate the BFGs, I hated the 1.0 version but the 1.5 is tolerable. I am curious to know if they will get better when I stick my custom front struts back on(they got sent back to ProParts for rebuild and will be reinstalling them this week).

Driving back to back earlier with the 2 tires I think their ultimate pace aren't that different. If you are fine with the BFG's characteristics I think either one will work. BFG obviously are pricier. They also wear faster on the shoulder than the RE71R, which makes it that much less appealing...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:08 PM   #506
GTI Chris
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2016 GTI SE PP
Location: Indiana
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
I have both....running Rival S 1.5 for national events and RE71Rs for locals. BFG has better contingencies(or in the case of ProSolo, only one with contingency) and I have a codriver than can win those, so BFG makes sense. I just been buying used RE71Rs for other events.

Driving wise, the BFGs feel much sloppier, there are more delays to your inputs and you need to lead the car more (turn in earlier) to get the car to work. They also have better tolerance to mistake, in that if you jam on the brake too late and turn in the car might still make it. Bridgestones are not very good with that. Bridgestones are much sharper and reactive to drive. I prefer their feel but I don't hate the BFGs, I hated the 1.0 version but the 1.5 is tolerable. I am curious to know if they will get better when I stick my custom front struts back on(they got sent back to ProParts for rebuild and will be reinstalling them this week).

Driving back to back earlier with the 2 tires I think their ultimate pace aren't that different. If you are fine with the BFG's characteristics I think either one will work. BFG obviously are pricier. They also wear faster on the shoulder than the RE71R, which makes it that much less appealing...


That seems to be in line with what I have heard regarding the "feel" and "precision" of RE71's vs. the BFG's. I'm surprised to hear you are seeing harder wear on the shoulders of the BFG's (My friends competitively co-drive an RX8 that is currently shod with the BFG's and they are seeing excellent wear resistance). Do you think the wear is a result of the abusive nature of fwd and poor camber?

Thanks for sharing all the information you do - I am coming off of a BS C5 FRC I raced for the last couple of years (campaigning a 4dr GTI SE PP) so it has been an adjustment to say the least.
GTI Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #507
RacingManiac
Senior Member
 
RacingManiac's Avatar
 
Drives: Night Blue Metallic PP GTI 2dr 6MT
Location: Michigan, USA
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 715
I think its a combination of the lack of camber on the GTI and I think I am running too low of a pressure. We haven't changed that too much mainly because we've run about 2 events total plus half a T&T on the tires and haven't played with things too much. Especially since at the ProSolo the car wasn't driving poorly at the low pressure so we just didn't mess with it. I will be trying putting higher pressure in them once I get them back on the car for the next local and the Champ Tour.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:15 PM   #508
RacingManiac
Senior Member
 
RacingManiac's Avatar
 
Drives: Night Blue Metallic PP GTI 2dr 6MT
Location: Michigan, USA
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 715
Ran a small local event today as I guess a last rehearsal for the Champ Tour next week(not really but seat time is seat time).



2nd in GS by .090 to the guy who was 2nd in Nats last year and 3rd on overall PAX.

Phone accelerometer didn't work for some reason....
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.