GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rattling rear suspension....again!

MarcA

Ready to race!
Good advice about unloading everythign; that's what I'd look to do to confirm the noise. I'll probably poke at it this weekend.

My statement about higher speeds might have been misleading -- it's say its noticeable under 20mph, typically. The noise is present if I don't take due care on rougher roads or obstacles.

Mine comes and goes in severity. Sometimes a light rattle barely audible sometimes a thud or pop sound when just changing road surfaces. It is hard to describe that's for sure. All I know is changing the shocks cures it for a short while when using vw parts.. it slowly comes back with more miles as the parts wear. Trying the bilsteins shortly so will keep you posted as other have done in this thread. My brother has the exact same car as mine down to same year etc and his is silent with more miles on. So shows its not every car . Weird.

wild pete

Passed Driver's Ed
I have this noise on mine noticed it as soon as I picked it up ,first thought just a rattle in the boot but now I know what it is i have got used to it now ,only really notice it at lower speeds .
Is it that much better when it is cured I ask ? .interestingly will be going in for a service in Dec and mentioned it to them ,will see what action I get

MarcA

Ready to race!
I have this noise on mine noticed it as soon as I picked it up ,first thought just a rattle in the boot but now I know what it is i have got used to it now ,only really notice it at lower speeds .
Is it that much better when it is cured I ask ? .interestingly will be going in for a service in Dec and mentioned it to them ,will see what action I get

Ask if you are onot revision 4 of the shockers

silverhead

It was only noticable in mine under 20 mph ish and on certain road surfaces,speed bumps and undullations.On perfectly smooth surfaces at any speed no noise.Since replacing with bilsteins the noise has completely disappeared.

MarcA

Ready to race!
Had my rear tyres changed, shockers changed, and 4 wheel alignment done. Car is better than ever. Just hope it stays this way now ! Got a long journey on Wednesday so will report back after. No noises or shakes though.

wild pete

Passed Driver's Ed
Had my first MOT and a oil service at 47000 miles . Said about the rear dampers, technician came out with me and agreed said yeah there is a certain chassis range and a bulletin so will do under warranty. Later got a video call from them to say my front dampers were leaking as well. So came away with 4 new dampers and a new washer jet for the dribbling.
VW Kings Lynn well done first class service. Yet to see how long noise gone for but to be honest I had got used to it and knowing I have new dampers I'm happy for now

MarcA

Ready to race!
Mines still quiet and we'll planted when driving. Must be over 3k done now and lots of motorway driving. Road noise is also more dull I'm sure they old ones resonated noise up from the road. Just need more power now..

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
I may not be in the UK, but I'm stumped by this rear noise I have. I had the loose lumber noise (great description), but installed coils and it went away. Now I have what sounds like a rubber grinding. Like the car is too low and the tire is hitting something. But we took the tires and everything off no contact or burning anywhere? Any suggestions? It only happens on nasty bumps but I'd like to solve it before it gets worse!

nunex

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello all,

I'm on the 3rd set of OEM and the rattle came again...so, best option is to go with B4s.

Could the forum members that installed B4 give feedback on the long term behavior of these? How many miles have you done with B4? Are those still silent?

Thanks
N.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Just fit Bilstein B4 and you should be happy for a long time

14K miles on the Bilstein B4 rear shock absorbers and they are as good as new. Its amazing that I am still receiving emails from around the globe relating to my experience with the original Sachs shock absorbers. I would be curious to drive a new MK7 to see if VW have actually sorted the problem or whether they are still telling customers the noise is a "characteristic of the model".

Next car will definitely be DCC shocks as these have more of an advantage over non-DCC plus as far as I can see there have been few issues with DCC when compared with standard shock absorbers.

Last edited:

silverhead

I have a 2014 1.4 tsi se and had to change the rear shocks as per the previous posts due to "rolling logs" noise..The advice from fuelboss was invaluable and the problem was sorted via the bilstein b4 shocks.Are the shocks on the mk 7.5 updated golf the same as the mk7 version.Or did they change them?.Has anybody with a mk 7.5 experienced the "rolling logs" noise?.Looking at getting a mk 7.5 se 2017.

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
I have a 2014 1.4 tsi se and had to change the rear shocks as per the previous posts due to "rolling logs" noise..The advice from fuelboss was invaluable and the problem was sorted via the bilstein b4 shocks.Are the shocks on the mk 7.5 updated golf the same as the mk7 version.Or did they change them?.Has anybody with a mk 7.5 experienced the "rolling logs" noise?.Looking at getting a mk 7.5 se 2017.

I have a mk7.5 1.4 se and haven’t experienced any off the rolling log noise. So hopefully the 7.5 has updated shocks

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
I have a mk7.5 1.4 se and haven’t experienced any off the rolling log noise. So hopefully the 7.5 has updated shocks

In my view the the rear shocks on my 7.5GTI still had noise similar to previous model. I immediately changed them for Koni Active's that are superbly comfortable and make no noise at all. I still feel that the Sachs shock absorbers still exhibit play between the piston road and the barrell of the shock absorber.

I have owned my 7.5GTI since last September and quite honestly I am disappointed with cabin noise. I have mentioned this elsewhere on the forum. Last year I test drove a 1.5TSI plus another in the Golf range before buying the GTI and the noise from a humming, droning, ringing was extremely noticeable to the point where on the 1.5TSI the dealer changed a rear wheel bearing as they agreed the car was noisy.

The GTI was better but far from being as quiet as my old MK7 GTI. I immediately changed tyres (twice) within 1000 miles (I must be mad) and the Goodyear Eagles now fitted are good from a comfort point of view and quieter than the original Bridgestones but now after 6000 miles all I can still hear is this hollow type humming noise unless over the newer super quiet tarmac. It obviously originates from tyres but it's as though it creates a resonance in the wheels or elsewhere.

I have used much soundproofing front and rear but its still there. Given the cost of the vehicle this is unacceptable. What VW have done to this 7.5 is beyond me. The 6-speed DSG box shift points are different to the MK7 DSG often requiring a manual down change. No doubt not an issue with the newer 7-speed.

Sad to say but I could not recommend the 2018 MK7 to others and I will be very pleased to see this car go. I maybe the only person who feels this way about these issues but after 3-years with my 2014 GTI I know this newer model is nowhere as good. I would still have the old model if it was not for an idiot on a mobile phone in a white van in Portugal who wrote my car off.