Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
must do tonight!

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Damn got excited for nothing.....
Can some genius please figure this out for the GTI?
Read the post that TJN shared above. May not be possible without flashing since the code in VCDS for NAR and RoW GTIs (edit: maybe this should say "DSG" instead of just GTIs) is the same, yet the latter has the gear in D & S modes.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Read the post that TJN shared above. May not be possible without flashing since the code in VCDS for NAR and RoW GTIs (edit: maybe this should say "DSG" instead of just GTIs) is the same, yet the latter has the gear in D & S modes.

Mainly referring to the fact the mod was done on a Sport Wagon.

But pardon the lack of details earlier. Bummed that there's still no coding solution for NAR GTI's. And obviously referring to DSG since this mod isn't necessary...on a manual. And all MK7 GTI automatics... are DSG. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG

But pardon the lack of details earlier. Bummed that there's still no coding solution for NAR GTI's. And obviously referring to DSG since this mod isn't necessary...on a manual. And all MK7 GTI automatics... are DSG. Am I missing something?
Ah there's a slight misunderstanding. The NAR Golf and Sportwagen (and e-golf and Alltrack?) use traditional torque converter style automatics, while our GTI and R have the DSG. The traditional automatic happens to have a setting available on VCDS/OBDeleven in order to get the gear display working on D & S mode, while it seems the DSG does not.

What Don suspects here is that on the DSG, it's a firmware level change (needs a tune/flash like APR): http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?p=477834

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
done and i love having it! idk if its always right thought... i know that sounds silly but there were a handful of times when I experienced the sound and feeling of a downshift but the number stayed the same...

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

4Motion Sportwagens and Alltracks have DSGs, whereas regular Sportwagens have traditional automatic transmissions.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Ah there's a slight misunderstanding. The NAR Golf and Sportwagen (and e-golf and Alltrack?) use traditional torque converter style automatics, while our GTI and R have the DSG. The traditional automatic happens to have a setting available on VCDS/OBDeleven in order to get the gear display working on D & S mode, while it seems the DSG does not.

What Don suspects here is that on the DSG, it's a firmware level change (needs a tune/flash like APR): http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?p=477834

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf

Just wanted to say, good answer and research!

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Apparently this mod does not work on all hardware versions of the Aisin TCM.

I'm pretty bummed.

02 Transmission

System description: AISIN AG6 G3
Software number: 09G927158AR
Software version: 3198
Hardware number: 09G927158
Hardware version: 202
ODX name: EV_TCMAQ250031
ODX version: 002009
Long coding: 010200000C000000000000000000000000000000

When I tried long coding, the change was rejected citing unsupported.

Bummer.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Apparently this mod does not work on all hardware versions of the Aisin TCM.

I'm pretty bummed.

02 Transmission

System description: AISIN AG6 G3
Software number: 09G927158AR
Software version: 3198
Hardware number: 09G927158
Hardware version: 202
ODX name: EV_TCMAQ250031
ODX version: 002009
Long coding: 010200000C000000000000000000000000000000

When I tried long coding, the change was rejected citing unsupported.

Bummer.

UPDATE. I revisited this after months of being really disappointed at not being able to see the gear # next to D/S, so I fired up the ol' OBDeleven and tried again. As before, I got the same error (Error 71 function not available). So I tried switching diagnostic service modes to VW diagnostic mode, and voila! In that mode the change took effect! Results were instantly verified. I am so happy now. This feature should have been provided stock.

Last edited: