GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR stage 1

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Twin, what year is your car? I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I've never seen over 13 degrees advance. 12.5 is typical for me. e85, race gas mix, stock boost, high boost, water meth, 100% meth, cold days warm days, new plugs, old plugs. 12.5-13.

I'm a 16 sportwagen. I've seen as high as 18.5 degrees. It does drop under more boost. Especially with just 93, but George has said a few times that there will be a point in the top end that 1 psi is not worth 1 degree of timing loss. Too much heat being generated. I'm not sure at what point that is. Temperatures do make a difference, but with the meth, that shouldn't matter for you. I try to keep my settings so I'm at least 15-16 degrees above 6,000. What I found that helps is that I look for the spot where there is a dip of 2 degrees or more. If it's around say 4,000, I would drop the 4,000 by .5. If it was around 4,200, I would drop the 4,500 by .5. I know you said you don't get it on map 4 though. Not sure why

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
I'm a 16 sportwagen. I've seen as high as 18.5 degrees. It does drop under more boost. Especially with just 93, but George has said a few times that there will be a point in the top end that 1 psi is not worth 1 degree of timing loss. Too much heat being generated. I'm not sure at what point that is. Temperatures do make a difference, but with the meth, that shouldn't matter for you. I try to keep my settings so I'm at least 15-16 degrees above 6,000. What I found that helps is that I look for the spot where there is a dip of 2 degrees or more. If it's around say 4,000, I would drop the 4,000 by .5. If it was around 4,200, I would drop the 4,500 by .5. I know you said you don't get it on map 4 though. Not sure why

Map 4 passthru I get 12.5. 39F 89F. Super mild JB1 type settings, I always get 12.5.

I have a 2015 hatch. VW is weird. Maybe there are differences between years or wagon vs hatch?

My last log with George was 23.5 peak , 19@6300 with timing@ 12.5. With water meth my air temps are at ambient 76degrees. George said it was good. We went higher and timing got erratic, so we went back. I asked him again about timing, he said it was good. I asked him so many times I was probably close to him blocking my emails :). I guess I have a 12.5 kinda car.

He said to me, (within reason), more important than the absolute number is that it rises continuously to red line with NO correction. I just need to shut up and get to the dyno.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Map 4 passthru I get 12.5. 39F 89F. Super mild JB1 type settings, I always get 12.5.

I have a 2015 hatch. VW is weird. Maybe there are differences between years or wagon vs hatch?

My last log with George was 23.5 peak , 19@6300 with timing@ 12.5. With water meth my air temps are at ambient 76degrees. George said it was good. We went higher and timing got erratic, so we went back. I asked him again about timing, he said it was good. I asked him so many times I was probably close to him blocking my emails :). I guess I have a 12.5 kinda car.

He said to me, (within reason), more important than the absolute number is that it rises continuously to red line with NO correction. I just need to shut up and get to the dyno.

Just curious, are you a manual or automatic? The manuals are rated at a lower torque from the factory. I wonder if the timing is what makes that torque difference?

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Just curious, are you a manual or automatic? The manuals are rated at a lower torque from the factory. I wonder if the timing is what makes that torque difference?

Auto
Looking back. The dyno run where I hit 300 wheel torque at 16.5 psi was at 12.5 advance. So if I can maintain the same at 23, I should be good.

Last edited:

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Auto
Looking back. The dyno run where I hit 300 wheel torque at 16.5 psi was at 12.5 advance. So if I can maintain the same at 23, I should be good.

I threw it out there on the Facebook page and guys with manuals are also getting16.5+. The other guy with the IS20 says 12.5 max. Even at 23 peak and e30. He's an Auto as well. No telling what's going on

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Anyone with the APR stage 1, how long have you had it? How do you like it? Have you come across any issues? Do you feel it was worth it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Have stage 1 91 HO on a GTI S, NonPP for about 4 mo. It's Knock Your Socks Off jump in power. Issues? Crap gas in my area and hot, dry weather. Nothing E85 mix and better IC couldn't handle. Suggestion: Get or rent a VCDS to record knock/detonation before and after the tuning, because after all it is not perfectly tailored to your own car. Worth it? Absolutely. One of the best power per dollar decisions you could make.

drummingcraig

Passed Driver's Ed
Dealership Authorized Installer?

So I am shopping for my first GTI and I went to a local dealership this evening to test drive a '16 SE DSG non-PP. The salesman told me about the APR flash and said that they are a licensed installer and as such it will not void the warranty.

Has anyone had any experience with this elsewhere? They had brochures for APR on all the sales desks. I think he said the cost was either $599 or $699. How does that flesh out compared to having it done elsewhere?

Thanks for the answers in advance. I'm a VW/GTI noob so still learning! :cool:

Edit to add: Just realized what the dealer was offering was APR Plus which is different from the actual stage 1.

Last edited:

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
First post here,

I have a 2017 1.8T and was staying away from modding it, but broke down and got the APR stage 1 tune on sale. Raped by a $80 labor charge but oh well. The car is definitely faster if you push it. Seems to be you need to be manually shifting or in Sport mode to really feel it though.

adamweld

First post here,

I have a 2017 1.8T and was staying away from modding it, but broke down and got the APR stage 1 tune on sale. Raped by a $80 labor charge but oh well. The car is definitely faster if you push it. Seems to be you need to be manually shifting or in Sport mode to really feel it though.

How much did it cost you in all?

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
How much did it cost you in all?

$539 APR stage 1 cost + $80 labor charge + $48.60 - $12 military discount = total price $656.59

Worth it I guess but ridiculous that just to switch tunes or go back to stock they want $80 to hook up. Bastards. You could buy the hardware yourself nearly. For one time tune it's worth it but I almost wish I went unitronic with their dongle so I only get raped once. Or just go to a local tuner and skip the canned tune

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
$539 APR stage 1 cost + $80 labor charge + $48.60 - $12 military discount = total price $656.59

Worth it I guess but ridiculous that just to switch tunes or go back to stock they want $80 to hook up. Bastards. You could buy the hardware yourself nearly. For one time tune it's worth it but I almost wish I went unitronic with their dongle so I only get raped once. Or just go to a local tuner and skip the canned tune

Could of had a JB4 and downpipe

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

Bastards is right! When I got tuned the shop didn't charge me any labor and I sat in the car with the guy and talked to him about his projects he had around the shop, super cool place. It took about 15 minutes so unless they charge $320 an hour in labor they are lying to you too. You did get it during the APR sale though so it ended up being about the same I paid for it.

What's that? Also I have a downpipe

Edit: says not available in California

You can't buy it directly from Burger here, but I think USP, BFI, and a few other online places will ship it to CA. Too late anyways unless you plan to do some very custom setups.