GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 Autobahn GPS/Compass dead

Gregman

Passed Driver's Ed
All of a sudden my compass stopped working (it's always pointing North) and my freaking GPS died (I get a "No GPS Reception" message on the dash).

I had my car in the dealer yesterday (a 2015 GTI Autobahn with 41,000 miles) for the fuel suction pump recall and asked them to check the GPS/compass issue. They said because I was out of warranty that it would cost me $400 to drop the headliner as I've seen a few people post the same issue - evidently caused by a connector coming loose... under the shark fin antenna.

$400 ? GImme a break.

Is there an easy way for me to do this myself or have a much more mechanically inclined friend do it ?

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
One of the members provided a link to the repair manuals sometime back. A search should dig those up. Else, purchase and download on erwin.com It is on page 299 of body interior. It is some work, but looks like a doable do. Is it easy? Short answer is no. I would also see if you could remove C-pillar and drop the back of headliner down enough to get to the connector.

Humble mechanic has a vid on the clips and the special release tool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKB4pY4e450

A quick google search (mk 7 gps no reception), showed a member was able to do it fairly easily here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23354

Verify if the CAR-Net green light is lit and the compass work. These interface with the shark fin antenna asesmbly . Mine came loose last year. I popped one of the rear trim panels to gain access to the headliner beneath the shark fin assy and was able to press the connectors back into their sockets - and voila , the CarNet light, and compass started working again

Last edited:

Gregman

Passed Driver's Ed
Thx George Ab but check this out.

I went out to my car to work on this and backed the car out of the garage - and I noticed my compass was working. Checked GPS and it's working.

It's been dead for 2 weeks !

So I'm thinking all I have to do is post here when I'm having car issues and like magic the issue will resolve itself.