GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance mods

Roe94

Anybody able to give me a bit of advice on some performance modifications? Got the 1.4tsi 140 and can't seem to find much about performance parts for this engine.
Also best mods for value that can be done aswell.
I'm a bike person and new to the car scene so don't really have a clue where to start except I've put a k&n panel filter in as I swear by them on my bikes.

TIA

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Why? What are you going to achieve? Actually there are already some topics that
cover the 1.4 TSI engine (to be found in the engine section of course).
I'd suggest performing some suspension mods first. Does your Golf come with DCC?

On a side note:
The K&N's only effect is increased engine wear due to its poor filtering properties.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I've put a k&n panel filter in as I swear by them on my bikes.

Why? They are total shiyte and have been for decades all you are doing is wearing your engine out using one of them. First thing you need to do is get a decent filter, the OEM one is better than the K&N. Then a remap or piggy back tune, but even then you are never going to get blistering speed from a 1.4 I am afraid.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
The 1.4 TSI 140 can be remapped for an easy 180 bhp and 210+ lbft torque. Given the scale of difference this makes there's not really many other "performance" mods worth the money. It's not like old n/a engines where a throttle body and a port and polish will release 2-5% and you feel like you've done a good day's work. Now you just change number in the ECU and get 30% more power. Yawn. :)

Also worth noting that because the engine output is electronically limited at any given rpm then any other performance mods will simply be accommodated by the ECU by turning the boost down slightly..

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
On the topic of k&n type filters. These things are about making it sound different.. any performance difference occurs only in your mind.. ;)

Roe94

On the topic of k&n type filters. These things are about making it sound different.. any performance difference occurs only in your mind.. ;)

Thanks for your info! I've only really used k&n filters for the practicality of them, they are a lot cheaper in the long run as I only have to clean them when it comes to a service. It's just from years on riding motorbikes and doing the servicing myself as I don't trust anybody else doing that kind of stuff to my bikes. Also they tend to smooth out the throttle response slightly which on a bike makes a big difference as a snatchy throttle is the last thing you want when powering out of a corner!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
There are various tunes, I was looking 3yrs ago when I ordered my car. They might give more bhp, but most limit the torque to 250Nm...& those that don't should.

Reason... the gearbox safe limit & clutch limit is 250Nm.....for the 6sp manual

Best mod.....run it in sport mode or set throttle to sport in individual & use shell vpower.......

Roe94

There are various tunes, I was looking 3yrs ago when I ordered my car. They might give more bhp, but most limit the torque to 250Nm...& those that don't should.

Reason... the gearbox safe limit & clutch limit is 250Nm.....for the 6sp manual

Best mod.....run it in sport mode or set throttle to sport in individual & use shell vpower.......
Cheers, sports mode definitely makes the car a whole different car but I've not been running it on the shell v power just the BP ultimate will have to give it a try!

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for your info! I've only really used k&n filters for the practicality of them, they are a lot cheaper in the long run as I only have to clean them when it comes to a service.

I put a k&n cone filter on the VR6 once and used it to frighten the neighbours for a while. Took it off again and went back to standard. If anything the cone filter was much worse, performance wise, in some conditions but it did make a fun noise.. :)