GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alberta\Western Dubs

x2001pmq

Beaumont (South of Edmonton) and I have VCDS and OBD11.

Nice ride ... what are those wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cale262

Ready to race!

Ehlectric

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello everyone! I recently (today) got a job in Calgary! So I'll be moving out west from Ottawa. Job starts July 6th. Was wondering what the best dealer in Calgary is?

Thanks!

VWpartsman1

Passed Driver's Ed
Saskatoon

Mitch

Hi, VWpartsguy:
saw that you are from Saskatoon so know you know what a nasty winter can be, so thought I would ask you: I just bought a Golf R last week...and have since gotten some very confusing info abut whether it can be fitted with a block heater or not...I am being told the "battery maintainer" is enough. I live in northern
Alberta, no garage, and we do have -40 winter days. Will this car start without a block heater and/or is there a block heater out there that I can get put in?
thanks so much, Mitch

NinjaTune

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, VWpartsguy:
saw that you are from Saskatoon so know you know what a nasty winter can be, so thought I would ask you: I just bought a Golf R last week...and have since gotten some very confusing info abut whether it can be fitted with a block heater or not...I am being told the "battery maintainer" is enough. I live in northern
Alberta, no garage, and we do have -40 winter days. Will this car start without a block heater and/or is there a block heater out there that I can get put in?
thanks so much, Mitch
Hey man, congrats on the R! Not the guy you asked, but from my experience, this is what i have to say: I've had mine (golf tsi) through two Alberta winters so far. When I first got it, I was extremely worried about the lack of a block heater, but so far I haven't had a problem starting it, even on the coldest days. Synthetic oil tends to stay fairly consistent, even in very cold temperatures, so your car will have an easier time starting up. If you're really worried: research about different viscosities of oil to see what may suit your weather the best and keep that battery blanket plugged in. I personally haven't even needed to use it. I change my oil pretty frequently, so maybe that has a bit to do with it? Doubt it though. Synthetic oil is just really awesome for winter.

Either way, I wouldn't worry yourself too much about it. On the coldest days, maybe give it a start and let it run for a few minutes throughout the day if that's possible.

Enjoy the R!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Just picked up my MK7.5 here in rainy Vancouver!

VWpartsman1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, VWpartsguy:
thanks so much, Mitch

Hey there, I’ve never had any issues with my car starting in winter. I do park it in the garage but at work it sits outside for 9 hours. There’s isn’t a black heater for these cars, a pan heater isn’t an option unless you change your oil pan to a metal one. I think there is a factory circulating heater available.