GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any issues retrofitting an 8' intertainment system onto a 2016/2017 US MK7

The Stig2

Ready to race!
I haven't seen a lot of threads discussing the retro-fitting of the 8inch Euro infotainment part into a 2016/2017 MK7 with the 6.5inch screen. My question is directed with folks who have done the installation. Any issues at all after the fact? Is it truly plug & play without the need for any coding? Do you lose any existing features such as Sirius or ApplePlay?

https://eurozonetuning.com/products/oem-8-discover-pro-screen-retrofit-kit

Last edited:

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
Yes. Direct fit no issues.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
There are plenty of threads on this. even DYI's with part numbers.

You can upgrade to 8" only if you have 6.5" screen so if your 5.6 screen your MIB1 which an 8 inch won't work on

You'll need to do the full

MIB1 to MIB2

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
^ this

It’s just the screen. The controlling unit is in the glove box.

Only noticeable change is the euro screens radio button is actually labelled “radio” as opposed to “band”.

Eurozone guys were great to deal with. I highly recommend purchasing from them.

The Stig2

Ready to race!
Thanks guys, and good to know there were no issues. Can I also assume that absolutely no coding was necessary during the install? I just pre-ordered a non-nav with voice unit from them. Bill was extremely responsive to my e-mails last night, and let me place a pre-order. It will only be in stock again towards the end of April, but I think this will be a superb upgrade. Its a disgrace that the US MK7 GTIs only had 6.5' screens as standard when Europe and other countries had the bigger ones. Just another example of VWUSA marginalizing it's US customer base for no ryme or reason other than they know this particular market (US MK7 Golf family) is very immaterial to their bottom line. Now, if we can somehow get an easy plug and play digital cockpit retrofit too!

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I'd love to do this, but honestly $799 is a bit to steep for the extra 1.5". Not sure for me the value is there. I wonder what the market is for the 6.5" screen? If that could be easily sold to recoup some of the cost of the 8" screen, might be worth it.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
You will have an unclearable code in OBDeleven, but it's no big deal. I can't remember what it days off hand but can do a screen grab if needed.

I got mine via ebay from Eurozone. Ebay had a 20% off code that I was able to use. Final cost was $579 so keep your eyes open for those promo codes.

EZT were great to deal with, I bought it Friday night, they shipped it Sat morning, it arrived Monday and was in my car on Tuesday.

Last edited: