GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Roll-Control Lowering Springs Now Available (MK7 GTI)

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Yes sir, only springs were changed at the car.

I thought the dampers and shocks needs to be changed as well when you use lowering springs. Cus the dampers and shocks cannot compress and rebound properly, thus affecting their performance.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I thought the dampers and shocks needs to be changed as well when you use lowering springs. Cus the dampers and shocks cannot compress and rebound properly, thus affecting their performance.

If you're doing it "right", yeah, you get a shock/strut combo that is designed for lowering springs. I run the Bilstein B8 with H&R OE Sport and it's a great combo.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Or get a milder drop spring (like the VW DGs) and you should get more life out of the stock components (as compared to lower drop springs.

Renck

Ready to race!

That is the tricky part, it all depends on what the goal is. The goal here and the ask for the folks was, how much drop are we going to get on APR springs using the stock suspension.

From APR it was supposed to be 1/2" to 3/4" drop. At my car 2017 MK7 GTI with DSG PP/LP the drop after installation / quick drive it was 1"

You will hear a mild drop (1" is considered that) will not have a huge impact, but nonetheless a change was done to the suspension and therefore, you can not rule that out completely. After all, you are modifying specs on the OEM suspension.

Slam the car with a more aggressive lowering springs and you will have more things to consider, tires, risk of hitting / damaging parts at your car (cracked oil pan, etc.), be more careful on how you drive your car or the places that you are taking it.

If you're doing it "right", yeah, you get a shock/strut combo that is designed for lowering springs. I run the Bilstein B8 with H&R OE Sport and it's a great combo.

Still not sure on what combo to go with. Decisions, decisions.

Or get a milder drop spring (like the VW DGs) and you should get more life out of the stock components (as compared to lower drop springs.

Amen brother, amen!

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
As for new dampers, just know that aftermarket versions such as Koni yellows and Bilstein B8’s are far superior to the OEM dampers. Performance and comfort-wise they are in a different league. Guys are who say otherwise haven’t had them before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Still not sure on what combo to go with. Decisions, decisions.

If you haven't checked out Hammersticks' build thread, you should. There's several different combos there with explantations of each. Having spent some time with him on a couple of occasions, and having driven his car on two different setups, I am comfortable saying he gives a very fair and accurate assessment of the various parts perform.

He got me settled on the B8/H&R combo and I'm loving it 90% of the time. there's still the occasional crash on a bad hit to a pot hole or lip in the road, but overall it's great. While I don't know the spring rates of each, the APR springs at least appear to be about the same thickness as the H&R. By contrast the VWRs I had first, when I didn't really like my ride quality much, were much less beefy.

At the same time, Bilstein recommends Eibach Pro-Kit springs (they make their B12 kit from B8s and Eibach Pro Kit springs) and that's a combo neither of us tried. Eibach claims 1" drop. Also based on some research I found along the way in the last few years, there's a Euro version of the pro kit springs as well that may be different.

Renck

Ready to race!
As for new dampers, just know that aftermarket versions such as Koni yellows and Bilstein B8’s are far superior to the OEM dampers. Performance and comfort-wise they are in a different league. Guys are who say otherwise haven’t had them before.

Yeah, I received few recommendations to get the Yellows. But, still looking for more information on them (see my post below).

If you haven't checked out Hammersticks' build thread, you should. There's several different combos there with explantations of each. Having spent some time with him on a couple of occasions, and having driven his car on two different setups, I am comfortable saying he gives a very fair and accurate assessment of the various parts perform.

He got me settled on the B8/H&R combo and I'm loving it 90% of the time. there's still the occasional crash on a bad hit to a pot hole or lip in the road, but overall it's great. While I don't know the spring rates of each, the APR springs at least appear to be about the same thickness as the H&R. By contrast the VWRs I had first, when I didn't really like my ride quality much, were much less beefy.

At the same time, Bilstein recommends Eibach Pro-Kit springs (they make their B12 kit from B8s and Eibach Pro Kit springs) and that's a combo neither of us tried. Eibach claims 1" drop. Also based on some research I found along the way in the last few years, there's a Euro version of the pro kit springs as well that may be different.

Thanks, I'll pay a visit to his thread soon. The other set I'm looking at is: KW V2 kit (range of lowering is 0.6-1.8" for the front and 0.8-2.0" for the rear). Just what my Dr. recommended. ;)

nype

Drag Racing Champion

What’s your recommendation dampers wise for my setup (DCC and DG springs)?

I’d just want something basic which rides as close to how it does now (just had the springs installed) as possible.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Yeah, I received few recommendations to get the Yellows. But, still looking for more information on them (see my post below).

Thanks, I'll pay a visit to his thread soon. The other set I'm looking at is: KW V2 kit (range of lowering is 0.6-1.8" for the front and 0.8-2.0" for the rear). Just what my Dr. recommended. ;)

Yep, I've had a number of setups for a number of reasons...experimentation, fine-tuning etc. I'm also really picky, unfortunately.

I would also recommend looking for people who have that kit. The specs aren't always right (as you know). Happened to me with my HPA SHS coils, which are made by KW.

I also picked up a set of yellows recently because I couldn't pass up the deal.

What’s your recommendation dampers wise for my setup (DCC and DG springs)?

I’d just want something basic which rides as close to how it does now (just had the springs installed) as possible.

My comments were based on the non-DCC dampers, but since you have the nice ones I would just keep what you have...unless you really want to go down the route of a DCC-delete flavored set of coils, which sounds like the exact opposite of your current set up. I'd stick with what you have. I'm sure the ride is excellent. :)

Renck

Ready to race!
Yep, I've had a number of setups for a number of reasons...experimentation, fine-tuning etc. I'm also really picky, unfortunately.

I would also recommend looking for people who have that kit. The specs aren't always right (as you know). Happened to me with my HPA SHS coils, which are made by KW.

I also picked up a set of yellows recently because I couldn't pass up the deal.

Thanks! So, what was the issue with the HPA SHS coils? And, what do you think of the yellows?

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Thanks! So, what was the issue with the HPA SHS coils? And, what do you think of the yellows?

The advertised drop is 10-45mm front and 20-50mm rear. The front is more like 20-25+ and rear is 30+. They make spacers for the rear but bottom line it’s not as advertised.

I haven’t tried the yellows on this car. Still have the HPAs. Will get around to putting them on at some point but not urgently looking to change.

Renck

Ready to race!
The advertised drop is 10-45mm front and 20-50mm rear. The front is more like 20-25+ and rear is 30+. They make spacers for the rear but bottom line it’s not as advertised.

I haven’t tried the yellows on this car. Still have the HPAs. Will get around to putting them on at some point but not urgently looking to change.

Thanks for sharing the information. Same here (not urgently looking to buy coil-overs), so I'll wait to hear from you.....unless there is also a set that is difficult to let it pass......;)

Renck

Ready to race!
New wheels and tires installed today.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Looks nice! Specs on wheels and tires?

PS A/S 3+ are continuously at the top ratings wise. Good choice.