GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hood

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
How is that hood so cheap? You look at an intake or front lip and they are only $2-300 less for 90% less material.

Looks like they used the same mold as the OEM hood. A lot of the cost for the other ones are wrapped up in the intricacies in the scoops and custom mold making. Hoods like that are simple and (relatively) easy to make so the cost is closer to the material cost since the design and dev of them arent as involved. Same with lips and non-OEM parts. Lots of design consideration and costs

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Ditto on my own car.

The only positive about it, is the black roof you get with it looks pretty slicc when the car is white.

Yeah it looks good from the outside but I'd rather wrap the roof black instead.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Unless things have changed, it's not street legal in the US.

Neither is any aftermarket downpipe.

Changing any of the Federally mandated emissions equipment is illegal.

Which also includes any aftermarket software changes.

Is it enforced?

Not really. The big thing with lexan is it isn't shatter proof like safety glass is.

Personally I would never run it in a windshield on a street car or any other glass other than the back window. Would be a lot cheaper than say a carbon hatch, that more than likely doesn't exist, and if it does, is probably way too fucking expensive.

But the weight savings...would be...pretty nice lol.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
How is that hood so cheap? You look at an intake or front lip and they are only $2-300 less for 90% less material.

lmao

That's cheap?

I paid $400 for my carbon hood on my Cobalt.

Seibon stuff is not cheap, but for that price, it better have honeycomb sandwhich and minimal sheet metal on the underside bracing IMO.

Not to mention fit perfectly.

Also if anyone does get a carbon hood, do not use the stock gas charged shocks that are used on the stock hood to raise it up.

On a warm day they'll start to bow your hood.

Was a feelsbadman moment when I saw that lol.

cb1111

Neither is any aftermarket downpipe.

Changing any of the Federally mandated emissions equipment is illegal.

Which also includes any aftermarket software changes.

Is it enforced?

Not really. The big thing with lexan is it isn't shatter proof like safety glass is.

Personally I would never run it in a windshield on a street car or any other glass other than the back window. Would be a lot cheaper than say a carbon hatch, that more than likely doesn't exist, and if it does, is probably way too fucking expensive.

But the weight savings...would be...pretty nice lol.
It depends. Different states enforce the Federal regs differently.

As far as the glazing is concerned, it is unlikely that the lexan would meet the rollover requirements

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

As far as the glazing is concerned, it is unlikely that the lexan would meet the rollover requirements

One of the new 911’s uses Gorilla glass on the rear for lighter weight.
Wonder if you have to add protective film to keep it from breaking if you drop it. ;)

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE

So you've been pulled over and had the authorities and check your calibration on your ECU?

It took a private group out of a college to find the findings on diesel gate.

Even in smog/California emissions testing states, as long as it plugs in and checks out nothing will happen. Hell everyone who has the LED tails from the ROTW cars are illegal too because they've never been DOT approved for use in the NA

Then there's states like Florida and Ohio where there's no inspection at all, so I get that it's varied by state, but it is largely overlooked unless you give people a reason to look. The only thing that would raise a red flag with say a Lexan rear window is you wouldn't have a rear defroster, which would suck lol.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Can we please have one thread that doesn't turn into a pissing contest?

I see where this is going and I urge you please, do not start with the back and forth

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Can we please have one thread that doesn't turn into a pissing contest?

I see where this is going and I urge you please, do not start with the back and forth

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was pointing out that saying some glass on the back hatch is illegal when more than half of the people on here probably have something illegal on their vehicle right now is kind of hypocritical.

Plus if there's no discussion on a message board what's the point? As for whether or not if it's on topic I can see but sometimes discussions end up in places away from where they started.

On topic, it is probably illegal in some places to even run a carbon hood due to what carbon fiber does when it starts to break apart(it splinters pretty bad), so I'm sure it says somewhere in the fine print from seibon that they are for 'off road use' only.

I don't think that would stop anyone here if they wanted to do it though.