GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replace with USB-C

zelder

Hi. Has anyone replaced their old USB plug with the new USB-C? I have one AUX input + a regular USB port.

And could this increase the speed? Not sure if there is an option with USB-C Power Delivery. It that was the case it would charge my iPhone X with 18 watts.

And does anyone know how fast charge the regular USB port provides?

zero10

Ready to race!
Increase the speed? Charging speed or data transfer speed? As it stands the transfer speed is fast enough for what the radio needs (only USB 2). You could in theory get a powered fast-charge capable hub with type C ports and install a small extension cable to plug your phone into, then plug that hub into the USB 2 port. Then you could hide all of this behind the trim somewhere.... That's of course assuming that the radio will communicate with your phone through a hub (I believe somebody here has tested that but I have not personally).

Using a current monitor I have found the stock USB port will provide my phone with 1.25A of charging current at 5V, no clue if it will go higher but it can go at least that high.

I've considered doing something similar with my car. I have a 3d printed dock for my phone which sits in the under-radio compartment, it has enough room in there to also fit a hub and some cabling. But in my case my commute is 50-60 minutes each way so twice a day my phone gets a 60-minute top-up which is more than enough to keep it happy even with my heavy usage until bedtime.

kchirayus

Any updates on this? I had a loaner car golf today and the charging port is usb-c with led ring around it. I wonder if this is swappable