GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Gti Apr Stage I vs Subaru Wrx Cobb Tuned

Tico63

Ready to race!
I was driving last night and could hear from a mile up ahead a loud exhaust which sounded surprisingly soothing. I drove a little spirited to catch up to see what car it was. I was right behind a black Subaru wrx with a single exit exhaust and when approaching the light he was downshifting and making all kinds of pops.

I looked at his rear license plate frame and it said Cobb so I figured he was tuned. Light turned green so I pass the car next to me and we are side by side, he looks at me and honks three times. I wasn't expecting it but quickly downshifted into 2nd and put quite a distance on him. It wasn't even close and sadly at around 75mph he slowed down and immediately turned left and took off.

I wanted to talk to him about his car or at least give him the thumbs up, but it was over just like that. Kinda interested to know how much whp a cobb tune was putting down because I wasn't very impressed.

I always find those races fun because you never know what the guy has. One time I raced an Sti and I swear I felt like I was standing still. But then I raced another random widebody kit Sti and absolutely smoked him. You just never know with tuner cars.

Overall, was a fun moment I figured worth sharing :)

bigred1

Passed Driver's Ed
You could hear a car a mile away from inside your car? You must have good ears.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Maybe he wasn't tuned at all or maybe he was just messing with you to see if he could get you to bite.

No way of knowing now.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Bolt on Subaru’s are slow from a roll, their time has come and gone!

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Might've just been a Cobb exhaust.
I know a couple of people with a WRX and a BMW with Cobb exhausts. Neither are tuned, but you can really hear loud pops and crackles.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Maybe he wasn't tuned at all or maybe he was just messing with you to see if he could get you to bite.

No way of knowing now.
Ahem....

Navi

Autocross Champion
So many of them around my neck of the woods but none of them want to play. When they do want to, it's usually rush hour with all the traffic from NYC heading back out to the suburbs so I never bite during those times. They might be slow, but man every time I see one I think damn that's a cool looking car. I really like how the turn signals are in the bumper and not the headlights.

Tico63

Ready to race!
Might've just been a Cobb exhaust.
I know a couple of people with a WRX and a BMW with Cobb exhausts. Neither are tuned, but you can really hear loud pops and crackles.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

That’s true. I assumed incorrectly. He was very confident though, I pulled next to him and he honked, so he was down to go. Maybe thought I was stock.

ashiun

Ready to race!
You could hear a car a mile away from inside your car? You must have good ears.

A subie? Probably could.
I can almost point out exactly which subies are entering my vicinity just by how fucking loud they are.

FastEggMk7

Ready to race!
I don't know about you guys, but I raced a Stage 2 protuned 2012 WRX that was tuned by "Junior tuning" and we went from 40mph roll and 60mph and we were close. Ended at 100mph where I was coming on hard about to pass. I'm DSG Apr Stage 1 HO tune.