GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 Instalation Guide (1.8t)

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Will the wastegate on the is12 work on an is20? From what I’m seeing it looks like it may, but was curious to see if anyone has swapped them over. I’m asking because I may have found an is20 but He used his wastegate on his is38

Same wastegate. Exact same part number as well. Had to change mine 30k miles after my is20 install. Yes you can do if with turbo mounted. Just have to unbolt oil return line.

Aonarch

Ready to race!
Forgive me in advance, but does the Golf 1.8T (Alltrack) have the same injectors as the GTI?

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
No they are the standard golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joofcorn

Ready to race!
These are the part numbers, don't know if anyone ever found the difference in flow capacity though

all 1.8T - 06L906036J
GTI - 06L906036K
R - 06L906036L

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Just picked up a brand new 06k145874L from a member here. I already have an AWE Golf R downpipe installed and was wondering that since it comes in sections if I can just disconnect the top portion:

....move it out of the way and possibly avoid messing with the driveshaft..

The only thing I'm worried about is the wastegate adjustment portion of the install..

That aside is there anyone on the middle Tennessee area that could do the install?

Thanks..

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
*shrugs*

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Regarding the wastegate adjustment.

If one were replacing the IS20 turbo on a GTI would this step still need to be performed? I ask because I'm having one of our Audi techs do the install for me and if this were a normal procedure then he shouldn't run into any issues and just treat it like any other similar turbo replacement.

Thanks..

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
If the turbo is new or the wastegate was touched than this should be done, but otherwise it shouldn't be needed.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
If the turbo is new or the wastegate was touched than this should be done, but otherwise it shouldn't be needed.

It's brand new. My question still stands though. Is this a normal procedure that would be done at the dealer if a turbo was replaced with a brand new unit?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Oh. I have no idea. Probably.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Couldn't he get some of that advance by running the APR 100 octane program along with his JB4, instead of the 93 program he's been running?

OK. You have 1 degree better than what I said. lol. Don't tell me you wouldn't be happy with another 4-5 degrees of advance from 3,000-5,500. You would essentially be able to make the same power with about 3+ psi less boost. Much friendlier for turbo longevity. Just think what that timing would do with your boost. You'd be taking down a stage 2 Golf R

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Here’s a trick. You can get to the bottom oil return line from the top once you push the turbo off the studs.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
So take the line off the block? So much conflicting info on this one. Some say remove nothing from block and remove only lines on turbo. Also, dumb question, but you are removing turbo from studs completely or just moving it out towards back of car but it is still on studs just have more room to work? If off studs, how is it being supported so you can work on that line?

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Move the turbo off the studs a completely. I found it easier to take the oil return line off the block than the turbo itself.