GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apex Pro Track Coach

jmason

Go Kart Newbie

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
My guess is that when you start driving, it starts looking for moments of maximum longitudinal and lateral accelerations and sets that as a baseline. The maximum then ratchets up if it senses periods of greater acceleration. Not sure how it would adjust to deteriorating grip due to tires, rain, brake fade, or track conditions.

According to one of their videos, the thing is really trying to compute a grip profile to create a traction circle. (See Driver 61 University Series on You Tube for explanation of a traction circle if you don't know what it is.) The display then reflects how well you drive to that circle. The circle is a goal, not necessarily a perfect reflection of reality, so maybe if the prediction is in error (presumably not by much), that wouldn't negate the utility of the device.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
My thoughts. How many corners and maneuvers at the edge of maximum grip does it need to calculate the traction circle? Pavement surfaces are not always consistent throughout a track, tire temperatures and pressures change, surface temperatures change. Dust, marbles, water and oil can be present in areas.

I would think a driver simply paying attention to these factors would do far better.

Last edited: