GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR s.1 tuned for 5 months. EPC light and no throttle.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and what it took to fix.
Driving home on the highway, I downshifted to fourth to pass from 120-140kmh.
It wasn't aggressive, just a rev matched downshift and the EPC light came on and the pedal had zero input. It could have been dangerous as the shoulders have snow and ice on them.
Then it happened again today downshifting into third with a friend in the car.
I've been doing some research into what my problem could be and it looks like
I might need to replace my ECM... at 105 000kms.
Had a local shop install my southbend clutch 2 months ago, and had dealer replace a leaky cam seal at 99 000km.
Just wondering what could possibly fry the ecu (if that's what the problem is)
Scanned with obdeleven and control unit faulty is what comes up.
Any help is appreciated.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
If your car runs then the ECU is not dead. Can you post the exact wording of the error code that you got?

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
Betting it’s your spark plugs.

Obdeleven fault comes up as "Control module faulty"
And a second code reads "databus error value received"
Will change spark plugs tonight or tomorrow at the latest, and report back.
Was convinced I'd see CEL come on if the plugs were the issue.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Good to hear that solved it. What plugs did you go with, oem, rs7 or something else.

As an aside, I had that issue with the version 1 software, but went away with version 2. But that was one and a half years ago so unlikely they would flash version 1 as I think they have to download software direct from APR right before they install I.e. Files not stored locally. Could be mistaken.

Finally, how do you like it?

I went with OEM again since my car idled and ran great with them...until they accumulated 20 000kms. This was my first time reading my plugs since tuned, so I didn't want to go a step colder without knowing it was absolutely necessary.
I'd be willing to try a more stout plug now though,
The plugs that had 20k on them, I was tuned for 10k of that and they looked more beat than the original plugs I pulled at 85k.
As for how I like it, I couldn't be happier with the power increase, response and smoothness.
I have two buddies with the same Model year, they're reactions were priceless on their first ride as passengers.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
With stage 1 APR only recommends gaping the stock spark plugs to .0024" (stock is something like .0028"), so as long as you do that you will be okay. Colder plugs won't hurt anything though.