GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Did Someone Say We Don't Have Self-Driving Cars Yet?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I think a in a couple of years or so we're going to have at least Level 3 vehicles anyone can buy. Can you imagine kids born today not needing to know how to drive? Old timers here know what I'm talking about, did you ever think when you were young you would see the day you would never need to use your threshold braking skills or need to remember which way to turn the wheel in a skid? I know there are naysayers but you're on here, right? And you're using smartphones I couldn't even dream of in 1987, and I had a cell phone then. I lived in Philly, and they were just starting to erect cell towers. Wait until you're my age. :)

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/30/16948356/waymo-google-fiat-chrysler-pacfica-minivan-self-driving

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Fck it, I just want a Musk FlameThrower!

Attachments

• Musk FlameThrower.jpg
    Musk FlameThrower.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 211

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Generations of people around the world have lived their entire lives without needing to know how to drive. As more people move to large cities, the need to drive a car will diminish even further. In the same way some of us can't fathom life without a car, the average person in NYC would think it primitive to walk more than half a block to get food or a coffee.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Generations of people around the world have lived their entire lives without needing to know how to drive. As more people move to large cities, the need to drive a car will diminish even further. In the same way some of us can't fathom life without a car, the average person in NYC would think it primitive to walk more than half a block to get food or a coffee.

Lots of youngsters want to live in a city center "where it's happenin" and there's no need for a car. Hard to blame them, a recent study pegged owning a car costing over $750 per month. Not like when I (we?) were young, when a car was paramount. Then again, cars were a lot cheaper then. The same car at least tripled in price form 1978 to 1984 alone.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Lots of youngsters want to live in a city center "where it's happenin" and there's no need for a car. Hard to blame them, a recent study pegged owning a car costing over $750 per month. Not like when I (we?) were young, when a car was paramount. Then again, cars were a lot cheaper then. The same car at least tripled in price form 1978 to 1984 alone.

And Lo these many years, wages never kept up with costs. Average American has been seriously screwed. Better to not own a car and save the cash, if possible, and if one is not addicted to cars. Most of us on this forum will not be saving that money.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
And Lo these many years, wages never kept up with costs. Average American has been seriously screwed. Better to not own a car and save the cash, if possible, and if one is not addicted to cars. Most of us on this forum will not be saving that money.

Truth be told, if i could swing it i wouldn't have a car, or only have 1 car for the house that has since been paid off. They are expensive to own, regardless of mechanical issues. My car payment on my GTI is $397 a month. I fill up once a week for about $30, so 120 a month in fuel. Thats over $500 a month in just the payment and gas. Thankfully its been reliable and i'm probably good on tires for another year.

Now im looking at getting married. My girlfriend drives an '04 Camry that was a hand-me-down from her parents. Its only got 80,000 miles on it and seems to run fine, but its beat up and i believe she deserves better. The idea is that she'll get my GTI and i'll buy an R. Now i'll be over $1k a month in vehicle expenses if she doesn't take over the GTI payments.

$1k a month can go a long way if it wasn't going towards vehicles!

All that being said, while i'm not a "gear head," I do enjoy nice cars. I drive every day and want to have an enjoyable experience. Its a gift and a curse.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Truth be told, if i could swing it i wouldn't have a car, or only have 1 car for the house that has since been paid off. They are expensive to own, regardless of mechanical issues. My car payment on my GTI is $397 a month. I fill up once a week for about $30, so 120 a month in fuel. Thats over $500 a month in just the payment and gas. Thankfully its been reliable and i'm probably good on tires for another year.

Now im looking at getting married. My girlfriend drives an '04 Camry that was a hand-me-down from her parents. Its only got 80,000 miles on it and seems to run fine, but its beat up and i believe she deserves better. The idea is that she'll get my GTI and i'll buy an R. Now i'll be over $1k a month in vehicle expenses if she doesn't take over the GTI payments.

$1k a month can go a long way if it wasn't going towards vehicles!

All that being said, while i'm not a "gear head," I do enjoy nice cars. I drive every day and want to have an enjoyable experience. Its a gift and a curse.

Congrats on your marriage, if or when you set the date. Even if your lady takes over payments on your GTI, it will still be a "family expense", so it comes out of your pocket either way. Just wanted to cheer you up :D I have experience in this area too :( At least you'll have an R to help with the pain!