GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Reflectors in CA

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
According to VEH (c) 24607:

"...Every vehicle subject to registration under this code shall at all times be equipped with red reflectors mounted on the rear as follows:

(a)*Every vehicle shall be equipped with at least one reflector so maintained as to be plainly visible at night from all distances within 350 to 100 feet from the vehicle when directly in front of the lawful upper headlamp beams..."

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml

The way I interpret this is that we are, by law, required to have one rear reflector installed. Is anyone in CA painting their rear red reflectors on the bumper getting hassled by the police? I'm asking because my rear bumper will likely get repainted and I'm considering painting my reflectors.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti

VW Motorsport

Passed Driver's Ed
We're also supposed to mount the front license plates, but I haven't done that in years! I see cars with paint or vinyl on the rear reflectors all the time. I don't think an officer would actually notice and pull you over strictly for no rear reflectors. But if you were caught doing something and then he/she did a walkaround, then maybe you'd get dinged.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
You might be pulled over at night if you forgot to turn on your brake lights. I got pulled over on travel once because my lights were off at night in my rental car;) No ticket he was just worried about my safety as it was snowing. Since the car had daytime running lights I still could see in front of me.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I'd be more worried about a newly repainted bumper being smashed in a parking lot due to no reflectors.
For this reason, this has to be one of the most foolish mods.

stdong

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone know if it's illegal to not have amber side reflectors on your headlights? The helix ones don't have them, but of course they look way better.

VW Motorsport

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone know if it's illegal to not have amber side reflectors on your headlights? The helix ones don't have them, but of course they look way better.
A lot of people are covering them up with vinyl.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

VW Motorsport

Passed Driver's Ed
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-acexxon-parts/rear-reflector-insert-set-honeycomb/r17-1-1000-01~ax/

Now no need to paint the reflectors!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk