GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

School Me on Auto-Xing a DD

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
It is very tempting to try auto-x, but I know I will get hooked and I also worry about my insurance finding out. I have seen stories of people getting their policy canceled because their insurance company found out about their auto-x runs.

I have been autocrossing for 5 years and have never heard anyone say this. In fact, every one of the insurance companies I've had, I have told I autocross; none have had issues with it. A weekend SCCA membership still has the standard insurance coverage (accidental injury) included too btw: https://www.motorsportreg.com/help/kb/Attendee:SCCAWeekendMembership

I have heard stories of people doing dumb things and wrecking their cars, then driving down the road and calling the police to file a claim outside of the venue. That's just fraud, and as much as I hate the idea of for-profit insurance companies, I think those people should have their insurance taken away...

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I'm trying to find if there's any auto-x school near me in socal, but I can't find anything. I'm cool with spending a couple hundred bucks to learn some proper techniques than pick up bad ones by learning on my own.

Any of you know any schools in socal or did all of you just dive right in and learned on your own?

http://evoschool.com/

Looks like they got a few events out in California this season...

I'd only recommend EvoSchool for someone with a bit of experience to start with though.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
on that school thing, best thing I did was find an experienced co-driver who needed a car for events. Happened totally by chance. He gives me tips and coaching, I pay him back with wear and tear on my car and tires for his runs. It's helped a lot.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
While a school or dedicated "coach" would be very helpful, don't let that prevent you from just going out and running. There's beginners at every event, and lots of people willing to let you do ride-alongs, or hop in your car to help you navigate the course and give driving tips.

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
My local SCCA region, San Diego, is having a novice school on May 12th. I think the local BMW club also puts on similar events. Not sure where you’re at in SoCal but here’s a link to the SD SCCA schedule in case you’re interested http://sdrscca.com/solo-schedule/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the IE right now, but I"m in SD often since my GF is there right now so this would have been perfect! BUT I have a wedding in portland that day :(

Thanks for the find though!

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
http://evoschool.com/

Looks like they got a few events out in California this season...

I'd only recommend EvoSchool for someone with a bit of experience to start with though.

https://www.scca.com/pages/sl-autocross

This is pricier but more beginner friendly I think. Only at Crows Landing though.

As someone mentioned your local region's novice school tend to be the best bang for the buck on this kind of training.

Both of those are in norcal, but I may consider if I really want to do it.

While a school or dedicated "coach" would be very helpful, don't let that prevent you from just going out and running. There's beginners at every event, and lots of people willing to let you do ride-alongs, or hop in your car to help you navigate the course and give driving tips.

Yup, if I don't find a school that I can attend in the first half of the year, I'll probably just go and just see how it goes!

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Well, a new season has started and I made it to my first session last Saturday. Not much has changed since last year besides BFI mounts and a couple of 5150 revisions. Still on the OEM Potenzas but they're almost done.

I had the dash cam running but nothing remarkable happened so I'm not putting anything up. It was great to reunite with some of the regulars from last year though. I caught some crap from one guy for not replacing the tires and getting an RSB yet.

I'm getting some lift-off oversteer on a few of the higher speed corners so I think I can be a bit more aggressive there. 90% of the competition is rear or all-wheel drive on better tires so I'm not winning any trophies but I'm pretty consistently the fastest FWD driver regardless of mods and tires so I'm pretty happy about that.

Always a blast and I'm looking forward to the next one after I get back from vacation. I'll have GTI Jake's fmic and the DKM twin disk at that point, hopefully summer tires as well, so it should be interesting.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
good to hear you are back at it!

re tires swaybar: tell that guy that 'sometimes the anticipation is half the fun, like...planning a vacation...' he'll think you're nuts but try it :)

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Well, a new season has started and I made it to my first session last Saturday. Not much has changed since last year besides BFI mounts and a couple of 5150 revisions. Still on the OEM Potenzas but they're almost done.

I had the dash cam running but nothing remarkable happened so I'm not putting anything up. It was great to reunite with some of the regulars from last year though. I caught some crap from one guy for not replacing the tires and getting an RSB yet.

I'm getting some lift-off oversteer on a few of the higher speed corners so I think I can be a bit more aggressive there. 90% of the competition is rear or all-wheel drive on better tires so I'm not winning any trophies but I'm pretty consistently the fastest FWD driver regardless of mods and tires so I'm pretty happy about that.

Always a blast and I'm looking forward to the next one after I get back from vacation. I'll have GTI Jake's fmic and the DKM twin disk at that point, hopefully summer tires as well, so it should be interesting.

the fmic will change your class for sure. don't know if you care about being competitive in class, but it's something to consider. These cars do quite well in GS, though. I had a blast on some lighter wheels and direzza z3 tires. It handled a ton better than my wrx did, and was almost as fun as my 370z was.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
the fmic will change your class for sure. don't know if you care about being competitive in class, but it's something to consider. These cars do quite well in GS, though. I had a blast on some lighter wheels and direzza z3 tires. It handled a ton better than my wrx did, and was almost as fun as my 370z was.
The organization I'm with isn't SCCA, very laid back. Novice > intermediate > expert w/street tires > expert w/race tires.

Other than that, anything goes.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
This year has been pretty much a bust as I've missed two events due to slacking on the registration, and another that happened during our road-trip. Tomorrow is the first event since I've owned the car that I'll have good tires and I am so excited. There's still a ton a body roll that I need to fix but I'm super pumped and hope to be able to post a couple of decent videos.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Have fun! In for videos.

I unfortunately was registered and had to bail on the NER event at Devens last weekend due to weather issues stranding me at LaGuardia for night. Hoping to run soon.
This year has been pretty much a bust as I've missed two events due to slacking on the registration, and another that happened during our road-trip. Tomorrow is the first event since I've owned the car that I'll have good tires and I am so excited. There's still a ton a body roll that I need to fix but I'm super pumped and hope to be able to post a couple of decent videos.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Built by the guy who runs the events. Lotus 7 design with a Miata drivetrain. I've taken a couple of rides with him and this thing is serious.