GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe with no Tune

DoubleDenim

Looking for some opinions. I have a 6 Speed 2016 R. I use it as a daily driver when I need to haul stuff or the weather is terrible as I usually get around by motorcycle. I have an extended warranty and stock (while pretty slow) suits what I need it for and I’m fine with that. The warranty and reliability are more important for now. However once the warranty expires I’ll be going Stage 2.

Anyways in the event I have to replace the clutch before the warranty expires I figured might as well add the DP then while the car is apart instead of paying for the labour twice. Will a DP on an otherwise stock car cause any issues or be otherwise detectable by a scan etc?

Thanks

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Just get a jb1 or jb4 at that point. I ran jb1 and a downpipe for awhile and the results were pretty impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just get a jb1 or jb4 at that point. I ran jb1 and a downpipe for awhile and the results were pretty impressive.

Is there a map setting on the JB1 for running a dp? Or can I just run map 1 or 2?

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Is there a map setting on the JB1 for running a dp? Or can I just run map 1 or 2?

On the JB1 there is no specific setting for a DP.

Rodcollier1

Ready to race!
I think it is a wise move to do a clutch and downpipe together and save on some labor charges and the alignment charge. My clutch was slipping with a JB4 in Map 2 and no downpipe.

'16 MK7 R Manual
Uni Stage 2, JB4, DP & BCS Exhaust

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
to answer the OP original question,

Yes, you can run an upgraded DP on a stock tune and experience a smoother top end. However, you will get a check engine light with anything outside of an AWE DP it seems. The tune should knock the light off for you though if you are worried about emissions.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Do you get a check engine light with a DP and no tune?

Not if you run your downpipe with a good spacer... I'm using a Vibrant J-Spacer been perfect so far. I've heard good things about the 42dd as well.

Funtuzzi

Passed Driver's Ed
Not if you run your downpipe with a good spacer... I'm using a Vibrant J-Spacer been perfect so far. I've heard good things about the 42dd as well.

It's still hit & miss getting CEL using a spacer. Some people are lucky and get no CEL, while others, regardless of spacers and using different shims, can't get rid of the "Check Engine Light".

If you got the money for an AWE Downpipe, or others that use a quality catalytic converter, and good design, then you'll be CEL free.