GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How soon until I'm screwed?

Snitt

Ready to race!
I bought the VW Care program, which includes my 30K Haldex service. Today, the service manager said they did my "Rear differential," and that is what's listed on the paperwork. I called them, and they told me, "The rear differential and the Haldex are the same fluid. There's only one fill point." Based on what I've read, that's not correct.

The good news is that the paperwork lists the correct part number for Haldex fluid, G-606-175-A2.

If they DID use the rear differential fill hole and put Haldex fluid in it, how quickly would my rear differential blow up?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
two fill points..I have the ERWIN VAG workshop manuals...

Rear diff unit "Final drive" capacity is 0.90 or 0.95lt...

Haldex "AWD drive coupling" is 0.65lt replacement service quant..not complete strip down & built volume..

two items listed under no1A..

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf+variant+4motion/golf/2016-746/5/525-525010/

Haldex unit on its own with oil as number 20

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf+variant+4motion/golf/2016-746/5/525-525015/

again dealer knows jack all...

Snitt

Ready to race!
Yeah, I am not pleased right now. I'm tempted to do a drain/fill on my rear differential fluid myself. In theory, if they put the wrong fluid in there, it should come out relatively clear, but if it's still the original fluid, it should be dirty.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Haldex fluid in the diff won't do any immediate damage being that it does not have any clutch packs. Diff fluid in the haldex pump, that is a different story. I would drain the diff either way and refill with proper fluid and not worry about it.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I would drain and refill both.

The extra 10 min and $25 is well worth it IMO.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Yeah, I am not pleased right now. I'm tempted to do a drain/fill on my rear differential fluid myself. In theory, if they put the wrong fluid in there, it should come out relatively clear, but if it's still the original fluid, it should be dirty.

Take it back and make them do it correctly. It should be that simple.

If you aren't getting satisfaction, open a case with VWOA. Explain to them that you don't feel the dealership followed the proper service procedure based on what they told you and what the paperwork indicates.

ghost_03

Ready to race!
It's possible that it was done correctly--was it the service manager or service writer? A lot of times service writers know their documents and software but not necessarily the mechanicals. You might ask to speak with the tech that did the work and see what he did.

I've had a few interesting dialogues with service writers that were rectified by 30 seconds with a tech. For example, on my mk5 the service writer swore that they absolutely could not touch the subframe to correct a front camber imbalance. I asked to talk to the tech and he said something like 'absolutely that's in the book. not even an extra charge beyond the stretch bolts.'

russiankid said:
Haldex fluid in the diff won't do any immediate damage being that it does not have any clutch packs. Diff fluid in the haldex pump, that is a different story. I would drain the diff either way and refill with proper fluid and not worry about it.

I would agree with this. Diff is basically just gears and should be happy in the short term with most any clean oil-based lube in there, even if it's a bit low. But diff oil in the haldex could cause clutch slip.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
That would bug the hell out of me. I'd drain and refill both, haldex and rear diff immediately. If you want to get something done right, do it yourself.