GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cracked oil pan

Bernie530

Sorry, put this in the wrong place the first time

2017 Golf Sportwagen 1.8 TSI 4 motion, manual

Well, FYI. the oil pan is very fragile. I hit a rock or something today and the pan failed. I have a couple of questions:

-Has this happened to others?

-How much was a dealer replacement?

-Who has experience with the ECS stainless pan?

-Any thing else I need to know?

Thanks!

Elwood

3-7-77
Buy the stamped steel one ($90). The stainless one has welds everywhere and the metal will be brittle close to where it was welded. One good hit and it will crack.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Is there a stock VW option? Looking to stay stock for warranty while I am in warranty

No. Not like it could void your warranty. Take pics of everything and call your dealer, maybe by luck they'll warranty it? Say your turbo blows up, no way a metal pan would be blamed for that...

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
That has not been my experience. Modify a system they will look to deny claims on that system.

I'd fight that with a lawyer in court. No way they could prove the pan being made of steel caused whatever failure.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Sorry, put this in the wrong place the first time

2017 Golf Sportwagen 1.8 TSI 4 motion, manual

Well, FYI. the oil pan is very fragile. I hit a rock or something today and the pan failed. I have a couple of questions:

-Has this happened to others?

-How much was a dealer replacement?

-Who has experience with the ECS stainless pan?

-Any thing else I need to know?

Thanks!

Yes happened to others...

I'd stick with OEM parts..less problems with warranty's

I would also recommend fitting the skid tray that VW make for MK7 Golf...it is available in USA under the Passat part number as the same item..

just look in my how to guides in my sig..:cool:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Is there a stock VW option? Looking to stay stock for warranty while I am in warranty

Talk to ECS Tuning direct.
They sell many OE parts.
Ask them for details on pans.

FYI. My Dealer service depth has suggested a metal pan if i want to have installed. Said they could do it next oil change. I asked about warranty and service agent about warranty and he said would not be an issue being an equal or better part. And, if they install then work is documented.
For thoughts.

Last edited:
Either get the stamped steel pan or stay with stock. It doesn't matter THAT much.
However definitely retrofit the reinforced belly pan described here:

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

I don't think it's sufficient to just fit a different oil pan but still getting hit by rocks.
You don't want it to get hit by rocks no more. Protect it with the tray shown above.
There's a reason why Volkswagen developed these trays. Doesn't it even come as
standard on the 'Alltrack' versions?
Let me add, you better avoid lowering your car and drive your car with some care.