GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need help with OBDEleven!

BTD37

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I am trying to do the Urban Joke taillight mod to my MK7 GTI with OBDeleven, but when I try to use the app, it says its not supported. Any idea why? I know I always have the option of long coding but I'm just worried I might screw something up since I have never coded anything before. Is long coding my only option or is there another solution to fix the app? Help would be much appreciated!

P.S.- My GTI is the US variant and NON LED. Have never tampered with my taillights previously. 2016 model year.

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Some apps were not compatible with 2017 vehicles. Not sure if OBDeleven has fixed this issue.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
I recommend making a backup of your stock code through the OBDeleven app and then manually coding the tail lights.

If you use the app and something goes wrong, it's hard to diagnose b/c the changes that the apps make don't show up in the coding history.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
I am trying to do the Urban Joke taillight mod to my MK7 GTI with OBDeleven, but when I try to use the app, it says its not supported. Any idea why? I know I always have the option of long coding but I'm just worried I might screw something up since I have never coded anything before. Is long coding my only option or is there another solution to fix the app? Help would be much appreciated!

P.S.- My GTI is the US variant and NON LED. Have never tampered with my taillights previously. 2016 model year.

BTD: The most common reason for OBD11 App failure is an incompatibility between your current Leuchte-channel setting with what OBD11 expects to find.

What happens when you use an App is that the OBD11 first interrogates the existing settings in your car. It checks to see if the adaptation channels that the App is about to change has the settings that are STOCK standard. If any one of the channels doesn't have the value that the App expects to see - the OBD11 App "spits-the-dummy" (Aussie vernacular).

Now, you may not have made any changes to these channels, yourself. But the values may be different as set in the factory. Even something as simple as a different Dimmwert channel (the dimming value) will trigger a no-go decision.

My advice, don't use Apps - learn how to do the tweak manually.

Don

PS Here's the instructions to implement Urban Joke manually:

BTD37

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
BTD: The most common reason for OBD11 App failure is an incompatibility between your current Leuchte-channel setting with what OBD11 expects to find.

What happens when you use an App is that the OBD11 first interrogates the existing settings in your car. It checks to see if the adaptation channels that the App is about to change has the settings that are STOCK standard. If any one of the channels doesn't have the value that the App expects to see - the OBD11 App "spits-the-dummy" (Aussie vernacular).

Now, you may not have made any changes to these channels, yourself. But the values may be different as set in the factory. Even something as simple as a different Dimmwert channel (the dimming value) will trigger a no-go decision.

My advice, don't use Apps - learn how to do the tweak manually.

Don

PS Here's the instructions to implement Urban Joke manually:

Don

Thanks a lot for the help. I am actually 1 step a head of you and I actually found your post on this on the OBDeleven forum and figured out the problem thanks to you. I went a head and began to long code the tail lights and what do you know the left outer tail light did not have the correct stock values hence the reason why I got the error "not supoorted." What's very odd is that I never previously tampered with my taillights and I bought my GTI brand new and the left outter tail light was already coded for the Urban Joke v2. Should I be concerned or suspicious that my outter left light was already coded exactly the same as the Urban Joke v2 code or is it a coincidence that it was coded by the manufacture like this? At the end of the day I'm happy I got the lights coded. It looks fantastic.

P.S. Do you know if there is a way to enable the fog lights as DRLs with OBDeleven?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Don
P.S. Do you know if there is a way to enable the fog lights as DRLs with OBDeleven?

This is the simplest way (only need to change 1 x channel for each side of the car. Repeat also for the right-side fog which is Leuchte13NL RB5

Don

PS: this tweak leaves the existing DRLs illuminated as well as fogs

BTD37

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
This is the simplest way (only need to change 1 x channel for each side of the car. Repeat also for the right-side fog which is Leuchte13NL RB5

Don

PS: this tweak leaves the existing DRLs illuminated as well as fogs

Sorry, I am a little confused what I am suppose to change under "Leuchte13NL RB5". Also, what is the channel name for the left fog? What are the exact values I am suppose to change? You don't happen to have a chart by any chance that shows the stock values and then the values I am suppose to change them to? Thanks.

plainsight

Passed Driver's Ed
subscribing to thread. interested in the long coding to keep my fog lights and DRL's on at the same time. is there a short coded app for it?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry, I am a little confused what I am suppose to change under "Leuchte13NL RB5". Also, what is the channel name for the left fog? What are the exact values I am suppose to change? You don't happen to have a chart by any chance that shows the stock values and then the values I am suppose to change them to? Thanks.

BTD: ok - my bad, I didn't make myself clear.

Try this

1 Select Central electrics module
2 Select Security access
3 Enter the magic number 31347
4 Select Adaptation
left fog-light
5 Search for "LB45" and select Leuchte12NL LB45
6 Select Lichtfunktion B 12.
7 The Stock-setting should be "not active". Only if this is so, change to "Tagfahrlicht"
8 Click on green tick to enact change
right fog-light
9 Go back to Adaptation
10 Search for "RB5" and select Leuchte13NL RB5
11 Select Lichtfunktion B 13.
12 The Stock-setting should be "not active". Only if this is so, change to "Tagfahrlicht"
13 Click on green tick to enact change

Don

BTD37

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
BTD: ok - my bad, I didn't make myself clear.

Try this

1 Select Central electrics module
2 Select Security access
3 Enter the magic number 31347
4 Select Adaptation
left fog-light
5 Search for "LB45" and select Leuchte12NL LB45
6 Select Lichtfunktion B 12.
7 The Stock-setting should be "not active". Only if this is so, change to "Tagfahrlicht"
8 Click on green tick to enact change
right fog-light
9 Go back to Adaptation
10 Search for "RB5" and select Leuchte13NL RB5
11 Select Lichtfunktion B 13.
12 The Stock-setting should be "not active". Only if this is so, change to "Tagfahrlicht"
13 Click on green tick to enact change

Don

Thanks for the clarification. I will try this and then report back. I currently have the euro light switch so I can currently run the fog lights as DRLs, but its kind of a pain to switch the lights on/off everytime I get in/out the car since the lights stay on if you don't turn them off. Now that I have OBDeleven, it would be more convenient just to code them.

BTD37

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Ok so I just did the coding Don gave me and in a nutshell, yes it works. The fog lights work as DRLs when the switch is pointed up and not turned at all. However, they work differently when you turn the switch to auto. When you turn the switch to auto, the fogs go off and you have to pull out the switch to turn the fogs on but it also turns on the headlights. So basically when the switch is on auto, the lights work exactly as the my do without the coding. So to summarize, you cannot just leave the switch on auto and have the fogs on with the DRLs since the the fogs go off when in the auto position and the headlights turn on when you pull out the switch. The fogs work as DRLs only when the switch is in the "off" or "O" position. So the coding works, but you still have to switch the headlights on when it's night time. Hopefully this makes sense. If not then please let me know and I can clarify. But the answer is yes, the coding Don gave does let you use the fogs as DRLs. So you don't have to buy the $50 euro switch like I did ;)

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Ok so I just did the coding Don gave me and in a nutshell, yes it works. The fog lights work as DRLs when the switch is pointed up and not turned at all. However, they work differently when you turn the switch to auto. When you turn the switch to auto, the fogs go off and you have to pull out the switch to turn the fogs on but it also turns on the headlights. So basically when the switch is on auto, the lights work exactly as the my do without the coding. So to summarize, you cannot just leave the switch on auto and have the fogs on with the DRLs since the the fogs go off when in the auto position and the headlights turn on when you pull out the switch. The fogs work as DRLs only when the switch is in the "off" or "O" position. So the coding works, but you still have to switch the headlights on when it's night time. Hopefully this makes sense. If not then please let me know and I can clarify. But the answer is yes, the coding Don gave does let you use the fogs as DRLs. So you don't have to buy the $50 euro switch like I did ;)

hmmm......is the adaptation channel for Daytime running lights-Werkseinstellung fuer Tagfahrlicht Freischaltung BAP / Bedienfolge on your Central electronics module set to active?

Don

BTD37

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
hmmm......is the adaptation channel for Daytime running lights-Werkseinstellung fuer Tagfahrlicht Freischaltung BAP / Bedienfolge on your Central electronics module set to active?

Don

I will check to see. I did not change anything under Werkseinstelliung, so I am assuming they are at the stock values. I only changed what you told me. Whenever I get a chance I can check to see what they are set to.