GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hankook Stock Tires

APR1

Ready to race!
Hello all,

i was fortunate enough to get the Hankook tires on my GTI and after 20,000 miles i'm at 9/32 tread (i believe they were 11/32 brand new). On the way from getting my tires rotated, i hit a pretty deep pothole and ended up getting small "bulges" on the sidewalls of my front and rear tire. :mad::mad::mad:

has anyone had their tires explode from bulges?

tknj99

Ready to race!
Maybe just replace the fronts with a high performance A/S or Summer tire and keep the Hankooks on the rear, perhaps you'll get some slide out on fast turns.. thats what i'll prob do with mine once i get that far on miles.

airjor13

Ready to race!
Get it replaced! The stock Hankooks are kinda garbage anyways

HicBuda

Ready to race!
My Hankooks have 10k on them with plenty of cornering wear. Took them out to autocross Saturday to finish them off.

Elwood

3-7-77
Get it replaced! The stock Hankooks are kinda garbage anyways
My stock Hankook Kinergy GTs were, by far, the worst tires I have ever owned. My Tsi was squirrely to the point of being scary in the corners and I blamed it on the suspension. Ha! I put some Michelin all seasons on it and what a difference. I've since addressed the rest of the suspension, but I was honestly surprised at the difference just the tires made. Lose them.

APR1

Ready to race!
yeah will definitely replace them asap. Probably put new tires on the front and the Hankooks on the back.

heydabop

Passed Driver's Ed
My stock Hankook Kinergy GTs were, by far, the worst tires I have ever owned. My Tsi was squirrely to the point of being scary in the corners and I blamed it on the suspension. Ha! I put some Michelin all seasons on it and what a difference. I've since addressed the rest of the suspension, but I was honestly surprised at the difference just the tires made. Lose them.

FWIW the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2's I have on my GTI are pretty good. I very rarely get wheel hop and it usually doesn't persist for long when it happens. They're able to hold on well into sharp corners with a new rear sway bar too which has impressed me. They're certainly not amazing tires, but they're definitely good enough to keep until they're worn.

heydabop

Passed Driver's Ed
yeah will definitely replace them asap. Probably put new tires on the front and the Hankooks on the back.

Be careful if you do. Having more tread on your front tires than on your rear tires is a very dangerous recipe for losing your rear end on wet roads. If your front end hydroplanes you'll start to understeer, but if your rear end hydroplanes you could easily end up sideways or backwards. Go to any tire shop and ask them about putting new tires on the front and they'll probably advise against it. I've even heard of some refusing to do it due to how dangerous it can be if the remaining tires on the rear are worn a lot.

APR1

Ready to race!
Be careful if you do. Having more tread on your front tires than on your rear tires is a very dangerous recipe for losing your rear end on wet roads. If your front end hydroplanes you'll start to understeer, but if your rear end hydroplanes you could easily end up sideways or backwards. Go to any tire shop and ask them about putting new tires on the front and they'll probably advise against it. I've even heard of some refusing to do it due to how dangerous it can be if the remaining tires on the rear are worn a lot.
thanks for the advice.

The tires that will be on the back are 9/32, so plenty of tread left.

would you say leaving the existing tires on the front and putting new ones on the back be better?

heydabop

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks for the advice.

would you say leaving the existing tires on the front and putting new ones on the back be better?

Safer yes, but more performant?...probably not unfortunately. :\ That said whoever is putting them on can likely weigh in on this with more experience and knowledge than I can. :p

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
thanks for the advice.

Every tire reseller and repair shop will tell you that new tires should be mounted on the rear wheels. I would also recommend not mounting different tread patterns and particularly compounds on the same car. It can make the car unstable to drive.