GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DG vs VWR Springs

Caesarmascetti

Passed Driver's Ed
Fkkk I can't make up my mind - so many people on Instagram running vwrs on stock struts and saying it's awesome

My dealer has a well known performance division Smith VW in Delaware and if you compare the DG springs for the Golf with GTI springs they are dimension ally identical. In fact they assured me that the Golf DG springs are really just GTI springs painted a different color.

Just relaying what a very reputable source has said

B95zP

Ready to race!
My dealer has a well known performance division Smith VW in Delaware and if you compare the DG springs for the Golf with GTI springs they are dimension ally identical. In fact they assured me that the Golf DG springs are really just GTI springs painted a different color.

Umm nope, my DG equipped GTI sits lower than the OE GTI springs they replaced.

lokerola

Ready to race!
Umm nope, my DG equipped GTI sits lower than the OE GTI springs they replaced.

Yea, I'm on DG springs they're lower than stock. Not the same spring at all.

AdamGTI2

Ready to race!
Are you paying someone to do the labor? If so definitely avoid this temptation. If you are going to do it, don't just hear what you want to hear. Do it right with either coils or springs and dampers. You are setting yourself up for more installs otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I am. But DG springs should be fine with stock shocks/dampers from
What I've seen ?

Not sure if I'd wanna spend $1000~ on coils and like $350 for labour

When you're on a budget and since you'll have to pay the labour anyway, why not just
get a set of Koni Str.ts along with the springs and be blessed with an in chime setup?
You'll love it and it'll last for years. Don't miss to get new strut bearings (and 'some' of
the bolts and nuts) as well.

AdamGTI2

Ready to race!
When you're on a budget and since you'll have to pay the labour anyway, why not just
get a set of Koni Str.ts along with the springs and be blessed with an in chime setup?
You'll love it and it'll last for years. Don't miss to get new strut bearings (and 'some' of

How much is the full set of Koni Str.ts ?

At that point maybe I would go with VWR? I'd hope its not too low for Toronto City Streets.

If you could provide me pricing I'd appreciate it. from what Ive seen it looks like its an extra $300 ?

AdamGTI2

Ready to race!

You don't think DG Springs would be perfectly fine for DD?

Not like im tracking the car or anything it's mostly for looks I'm doing this.

I dont think ive ever been so indecisive about anything in years lol. Wish I was rich and could just drop $$ on whatever

coachfraley

Ready to race!
I ended up doing the DG's and adding a GTI PP swaybar on my 17 Golf. I liked the idea of maintaining stock parts for now. I figure I can get at least a year out of my stock shocks, then switch to koni's or K8's when I have some more $$ set aside.

The ride is noticeably different, so it isn't really "just like OEM"...A little more harsh than stock, and you can't just run through holes and up driveways like you can on the stock Golf setup. With the addition of the sway bar, the car does WAY better in the turns. I can throw it into a turn with much more confidence than before. However, I do not know how much of that feeling is due to the sway bar alone. I know that over time, the ride will probably get more harsh, but hopefully I have $ for the shocks before it gets too bad.

AdamGTI2

Ready to race!
'Perfectly' is such a tight word. :(

I ended up doing the DG's and adding a GTI PP swaybar on my 17 Golf. I liked the idea of maintaining stock parts for now. I figure I can get at least a year out of my stock shocks, then switch to koni's or K8's when I have some more $$ set aside.

The ride is noticeably different, so it isn't really "just like OEM"...A little more harsh than stock, and you can't just run through holes and up driveways like you can on the stock Golf setup. With the addition of the sway bar, the car does WAY better in the turns. I can throw it into a turn with much more confidence than before. However, I do not know how much of that feeling is due to the sway bar alone. I know that over time, the ride will probably get more harsh, but hopefully I have $ for the shocks before it gets too bad.

I guess my question is does it still feel like a good quality ride. A bit harsher I don't mind at all tbh.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie

Your dealer sounds cool, but they are definitely wrong about that.

Last edited: