GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TAILPIPE SOOT

acapvwgti

Ready to race!
All my GTIs experienced soot. They all do. My 2015 does very much. Once a week when they are warm I just wipe them quick with a towel.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
nice thing about having a black car is I have learned not to obsess about keeping it spotless.

it was either that or go crazy.

Once you go black you never have a clean car again

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
My soot went down to next to nothing once I tuned. I barely get any now. Stock was getting half circle solid black within a week or 2. Isn’t it just a sign of running rich?

I can’t remember when I washed my car last. It’s been about 3 weeks. This is the worst I’ve seen:

Last edited:

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Petroleum based fuel (Gasoline) produces carbon as a byproduct. Alcohol based fuels (Ethanol) produce little to no carbon for all intents and purposes, and actually have a cleaning effect. So I guess E85 would be a good tip cleaner by default :D. Works great on mine as I have trace amounts of soot (E30).

skadee

Passed Driver's Ed
Is any VW FlexFuel rated? Not sure I’d be willing to accept the HP loss, but having that option would be worth knowing. The other downsides of introducing more ethanol is better saved for a new thread.

I’m down with getting a rattle can of hi-temp flat black, but is it easy to get the plastic trim off the rear to make the pipes accessible (without breaking any tabs)?

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
I consistently run a 30 blend of ethanol and I always have dirty tips lol my straight pipes and tune don't help.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

Itzed

Passed Driver's Ed
If you don't sit in a parking lot and idle, and drive like grandma you'll have little or no soot. I have a lot of soot. I wipe them with a paper towel wet with regular Windex every couple of days. I wish they were black chrome.

My 2016 has 53k miles on it, the vast majority of them highway miles. I’ve had tailpipe soot since it was new, yet still get 35-37 MPG. I’ll take it running rich over lean any day - especially if it still returns good mileage.

skadee

Passed Driver's Ed
My 2016 has 53k miles on it, the vast majority of them highway miles. I’ve had tailpipe soot since it was new, yet still get 35-37 MPG. I’ll take it running rich over lean any day - especially if it still returns good mileage.
Dang, best I’ve ever done was 35 on the highway, running at about 75mph steady for a whole tank of premium. Hopefully it improves after break-in. Of course, that’s a lot better than my old F-150, so I’m not complaining!

DR182018

Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn
2018 GTi Autobahn, I’ve got 4500 miles on her. Used Shell 93 octane since new and had a lot of tailpipe soot, oily and black. Last tank I switched to BP 93 and zero soot. Also seems to run a bit better. That may be just perception but the soot is gone.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
2018 GTi Autobahn, I’ve got 4500 miles on her. Used Shell 93 octane since new and had a lot of tailpipe soot, oily and black. Last tank I switched to BP 93 and zero soot. Also seems to run a bit better. That may be just perception but the soot is gone.

No way can you tell from one tank and Shell is Top Tier gas. There are far too many variables.

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
Is there a consensus on the best way to clean them?

Mine are bad and I want to find a good method of cleaning before I buy an exhaust system

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Is there a consensus on the best way to clean them?

Mine are bad and I want to find a good method of cleaning before I buy an exhaust system

I just use metal polish (no fancy brand name required) if cleaned after a wash, it doesn't take long, even after months of 'neglect' 20 mins.
There is talk of using aluminium foil and water but when I've watched the videos, I'm not convinced.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
2017 with 86xx miles and I get soot. Just not that noticeable with the black BMS tips...but I do see it when I clean them.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I have the BMS black tips and they look sort of blued now, so there is definitely some deposits building up but nothing out of the ordinary. It isn't difficult to clean off if you've got some free time.

Direct injection and tail-pipe soot go hand in hand me thinks.