GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vendor-branded Accessories

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Anyone else annoyed things like underhood washer bottle, brake fluid, etc., caps have the vendor's logo/name engraved or embossed on them? I'm not paying a premium price for these so I can advertise for them. I think it's just as lame as having a dealer's license plate frame on your car.

Why don't they offer ones with "VW" on them, or just plain?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Because if you don't get one branded with the words "tuning" or "motorsport" then you don't get the HP gains ;)

On the embossed ones do the words pop out or recess in? If they pop out you could sand them down flat and give it a coat of paint. Unless your main complaint with it is just the added cost, then I can't help ya' there

Edit: Or you could pay 65 freedom bucks for a billet cap from ECS

UroTuning has a plain one for 14 bucks
https://www.urotuning.com/Washer-Fluid-Reservoir-Cap-in-Black-for-VW-Audi-p/1k0955455-blk.htm

They also have a kit for 90 bucks with nice looking aluminum ones from a Porsche
https://www.urotuning.com/Porsche-C...Fluid-Cap-VW-Audi-p/1k0955455-blk-porsche.htm

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
The aftermarket company is creating brand awareness.
The hope is they have a nice logo that customers will want to display.
If you purchased $100 Nike shoes, most want the logo visible.
We like to show off. Few want to buy $100 shoes that have no markings.
I have Eibach Springs and sway bars. No one will ever see but as I like Eibach I am OK with logo on product. It is the only vendor sticker I have on outside of the car. Mounted on right side headlight. The other is a forum sticker. I also like 034 so I like their logo on items I purchase. Now my CF battery lid and fuse lid should not be marked as they are CF but is they added a logo would be nice in silver metal but no sticker.
If enough people do not want logo then I am sure they would offer or switch.
But we are a Logo country.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
My only vendor sticker on outside.

So Fed, you would not like ECS Tunings' new car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I think his complaint (my interpretation, I don't want to speak for the man himself, just my thoughts) was just that it's a cosmetic thing, nothing performance related. A lot of people would be happy to show off their performance part brands, but just for a washer cap? Not necessary. Nobody is going to look at your washer cap and be like "woah ECS makes a sweet washer cap!". It's a utility part, not really something to be proud of. Now, if the washer cap auto-siphoned fluid into the reservoir and auto-opened/closed? That might be something worth putting a brand on

Hockey

Ready to race!
Advertising. Where ever they can.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I like the analogies. If this were about shoes I wouldn't mind. If I had a show or race car and the vendor was a sponsor, then definitely. For something only a technician or I will see, no.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I think his complaint (my interpretation, I don't want to speak for the man himself, just my thoughts) was just that it's a cosmetic thing, nothing performance related. A lot of people would be happy to show off their performance part brands, but just for a washer cap? Not necessary. Nobody is going to look at your washer cap and be like "woah ECS makes a sweet washer cap!". It's a utility part, not really something to be proud of. Now, if the washer cap auto-siphoned fluid into the reservoir and auto-opened/closed? That might be something worth putting a brand on

That too. I rocked APR decals years ago.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Friend of mine saw me peeling the stickers of some carbon wheels for my bike. He asked why I was peeling them off. He said "people pay a lot of money for those stickers". I gave him a blank look and kept peeling. My next set...I kept the stickers on.

cb1111

I think as we get older we suffer fools less and also decide that we don't want useless advertising on our cars.

Kids love stickers, we may still like go-fast bits but no longer want to brag about insignificant crap. Strange Mud is right that the branded stuff from the factory is there because of marketing incentives to VW.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I think as we get older we suffer fools less and also decide that we don't want useless advertising on our cars.

Kids love stickers, we may still like go-fast bits but no longer want to brag about insignificant crap. Strange Mud is right that the branded stuff from the factory is there because of marketing incentives to VW.

Our friends (middle-aged like us) have their Thule box adorned with stickers of all the national parks, monuments and other places they've driven (mostly in their JSW TDI and now in their GSW TDI), all across the country. It's not branding, but it's displaying a point of pride, and I think they look lovely (especially just slapped on with no effort to make them symmetrical or evenly spaced). I imagine those who choose to display branding are making a statement about their choices and their tastes, which can be a source of pride. As I age, the things I am proud of become different than they were when I was younger. Yeah, I'm turning into an old fart. Although, in my defense, I did add a Rabbit badge (see avatar) to the back of my GSW, a statement of homage to my beloved MkI Rabbit GTI (RIP).