GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New to Colorado Springs

r-gazmic

Passed Driver's Ed
So I just moved to Colorado Springs recently, really enjoying it so far. I do have a couple questions for anyone nearby:

Any reputable indy mechanics nearby? My car is modded so I'd like to avoid the dealer if possible. If there are mod-friendly dealers nearby that would work too. I'm aware of Bluewater Performance up in Denver, I'm hoping there's a decent shop closer to where I'm at.

Any good place nearby for window tint? Not a top priority in February, but come summertime I'm sure the constant sunshine is going to call for some tints.

Any VW meets/groups around here? There are way less VWs than the DC metro area where I came from, is everyone hiding or are there really just that few VWs out here?

Any recommendations from locals would be much appreciated. Thanks.

bluefox280

So I just moved to Colorado Springs recently, really enjoying it so far.
Welcome to the front range!

Any reputable indy mechanics nearby? My car is modded so I'd like to avoid the dealer if possible. If there are mod-friendly dealers nearby that would work too. I'm aware of Bluewater Performance up in Denver, I'm hoping there's a decent shop closer to where I'm at.
For Colorado Springs:
Concourse Motorsport
2416 W Cucharras St.
Colorado Springs, CO 80904
(719) 473-6367
concoursmotorsport.com

Also, beyond Bluewater there's Berg Performance, Hardey's Motorwerks, and others.

Any VW meets/groups around here? There are way less VWs than the DC metro area where I came from, is everyone hiding or are there really just that few VWs out here?
There are meets, but they aren't as regular...
Reason? Eh, you'll need to read up on the Colorado VAG history, but short story is as follows:
* was booming in the early 2000's era
* clubs were made / divided / lines in sand were drawn
* Rocky Mountain VWVortex sub-forum all but vanished due to awful message board fights
* sectors are starting to gain traction again (pockets of owners that want to enjoy meets / drives)
- Colorado Springs specific: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/783742-Southern-Colorado-Volkswagen-Audi-Group

- Erik

Iluv2raceit

So I just moved to Colorado Springs recently, really enjoying it so far. I do have a couple questions for anyone nearby:

Any good place nearby for window tint? Not a top priority in February, but come summertime I'm sure the constant sunshine is going to call for some tints.

Welcome to the forums and to Colorado Springs! I also live in the Springs and have noticed that there aren't that many VWs, especially the newer MK7 models. There is definitely no shortage of Audi models to make your head spin. I own a 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn DSG. It's still stock as I'm already thinking about upgrading to a new Golf R DSG DCC w/Nav next year. I recently bought a Racingline R600 cold air intake, but haven't installed it yet. I was also considering getting the APR Plus upgrade, but will have to travel to Denver to do it because neither VW dealerships in the Spring offer it yet. Not sure if Concourse offers it, but I don't think they do yet.

Holler back and maybe we can arrange a meet up. I would definitely like to start a car group in the Springs without always having to drive up to Denver all the time.

Attachments

• Pic1.JPG
    Pic1.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:

r-gazmic

Passed Driver's Ed
I've definitely noticed the Audis around, a lot more STIs and Evos here than back in VA too. I'm down to meet up for sure, got a small issue to sort out with the car first though.

Thanks for the recommendations BlueFox, just today I had some bad luck and one of my wheel bolts managed to shear in half so I have a wobbly wheel and a hub with half a bolt stuck in it, going to talk to Concourse tomorrow and see what they can do about it.

Iluv2raceit

I've definitely noticed the Audis around, a lot more STIs and Evos here than back in VA too. I'm down to meet up for sure, got a small issue to sort out with the car first though.

Thanks for the recommendations BlueFox, just today I had some bad luck and one of my wheel bolts managed to shear in half so I have a wobbly wheel and a hub with half a bolt stuck in it, going to talk to Concourse tomorrow and see what they can do about it.

Damn, sorry to hear about your car troubles. Having a wheel bolt snap on a 2016 Golf R is bizarre to say the least and would most likely be covered under warranty as that sounds like a defective part. I would call the dealership here in town and ask if it would be covered under warranty. Not sure if your R is over 36K, but if not then it can't hurt to ask. I recommend Bob Penkhus for the dealership. I don't recommend the Mike Maroone dealership as I have had issues with their terrible customer service and even worse sales tactics.

Contour Motorsports is a great alternative. They do great work, albeit their labor costs are expensive. Just make sure to check for the warranty coverage first!

Last edited:

r-gazmic

Passed Driver's Ed
Damn, sorry to hear about your car troubles. Having a wheel bolt snap on a 2016 Golf R is bizarre to say the least and would most likely be covered under warranty as that sounds like a defective part. I would call the dealership here in town and ask if it would be covered under warranty. Not sure if your R is over 36K, but if not then it can't hurt to ask. I recommend Bob Penkhus for the dealership. I don't recommend the Mike Maroone dealership as I have had issues with their terrible customer service and even worse sales tactics.

Contour Motorsports is a great alternative. They do great work, albeit their labor costs are expensive. Just make sure to check for the warranty coverage first!

It is strange, but I've got aftermarket wheels and spacers, along with aftermarket longer bolts, so VW isn't on the hook for this.

Thanks for the dealer recommendations though, my 30k service will be coming up soon and now I know where the car will be going for that.

SendyMk7

Welcome to CO! I live in the Denver metro area but my girlfriend lives in the springs so I’m down there often. There are plenty of Mk7s up here but it seems like they become more sparse the farther south you go. As far as shops go, I can’t make any recommendations down in COS but can’t say enough good things about Bluewater... I’ve had multiple cars tuned and worked on there, including my APR Stage 2 Mk7 GTI Autobahn. They do great work, have fair prices, and offer fantastic customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iluv2raceit

WOW! Thanks for the info Sendy! And you have stage 2 already in a 2017 MK7? I don't have the guts to do that as that means bye bye factory warranty. I'm thinking about going the APR Plus route as it's the safest choice for me. My MK7 is my main car and daily driver and will never be meant for the track only anytime soon unless I win the lottery ;-)

Thanks for the advice to us with regards to a great tuning shop in Denver. And if you are ever down in the Springs with your Stage 2 beast, make sure to give us a holler!

SendyMk7

WOW! Thanks for the info Sendy! And you have stage 2 already in a 2017 MK7? I don't have the guts to do that as that means bye bye factory warranty. I'm thinking about going the APR Plus route as it's the safest choice for me. My MK7 is my main car and daily driver and will never be meant for the track only anytime soon unless I win the lottery ;-)

Thanks for the advice to us with regards to a great tuning shop in Denver. And if you are ever down in the Springs with your Stage 2 beast, make sure to give us a holler!

APR Plus is a great option, would have done it myself but I couldn’t resist the call of Stage 2... If you’re wanting to go through a dealership, I would recommend Emich VW. My family has bought several vehicles from them and as far as “mod-friendly” dealers go, they can’t be beat.

Iluv2raceit

When I Googled APR Plus and VW dealership, Emich was at the top of the list...lol. They are also the dealership I called regarding my interest to buy a 2018 Golf R DSG. For now, APR Plus will keep me happy should I decide to hold off on the R purchase until next year. That's when my job's contract will (hopefully) get renewed for another 3 to 5 years ;-)

EXEA189

Ready to race!
APR Plus is a great option, would have done it myself but I couldn’t resist the call of Stage 2... If you’re wanting to go through a dealership, I would recommend Emich VW. My family has bought several vehicles from them and as far as “mod-friendly” dealers go, they can’t be beat.

Welcome to the Springs.

EMICH is an APR Plus dealership. Very honest and straightforward dealing, IMO. I personally stay away from the two VW dealers in the Springs.

Gregor's Motorworks on N. El Paso is the indy shop I use. Greg Roth is the owner and he personally owns GTIs that he mods.

Iluv2raceit

@EXEA189 - thanks for the information. I'm glad to know EMICH is a great dealership and the fact that they offer APR Plus is just the cherry on top. I had already been looking at getting a 2018 Golf R from them later next year, so it's good to know now that I am reaching out to the right dealership.

I have to make note about how saddening it is that both dealerships in the Springs seem to be mediocre at best. Just from my own experience, I think Bob Penkhus is okay overall. Not stellar by any means, but definitely better than my dealings with the Mike Maroone dealership.

mdpawlowski

Passed Driver's Ed

Welcome to COS.
PCS Motorsports is also a decent shop to deal with, they are primarily Porsche, but know most any performance.
Also, for window tint amongst anything else for interior/ exterior/ audio check out EAS (Elite Auto Salon), by far is the best in the business.

r-gazmic

Passed Driver's Ed
Welcome to COS.
PCS Motorsports is also a decent shop to deal with, they are primarily Porsche, but know most any performance.
Also, for window tint amongst anything else for interior/ exterior/ audio check out EAS (Elite Auto Salon), by far is the best in the business.

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty happy with my last dealing with Concours, I'll keep PCS in mind though, can never have too many reputable shops around.

And thanks for the pointer on EAS, I'll get in touch with them about tint. My shifter has been almost too hot to touch a few days this last week so it's time for tint.

Kimomono

I’m going to chime in here too! I just bought a 2015 Launch Edition yesterday here in the Springs. I’m planning on reaching out to Concours soon to find out what they can do for me. This being my first VW, I’d love to meet some people in the area and learn more about the platform.