GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R EcoHitch Installation Advice Wanted

GLFR

I started a 'dry fit' with the foam bumper and it appeared to make the rear bumper a little tight. Then tried 'dry fit' without foam bumper.

At least for my application the 'dry fit' without foam bumper was a little more to my liking for the final fit-n-finish as I did not want any 'misalignments' on final install or the bumper cover to appear unnatural upon final completion.

I am sure each application is different ...

Hope this helps ...

Very helpful thanks. Did you remove the foam thing inside the bumper or put that back on the car?

jlivingood

Passed Driver's Ed
As a follow up for anyone else that reads the thread in the future:
I removed the bumper (again) and took out the inside foam piece as suggested by TorkLift in the directions. I had left it in due to suggestions from other thread but I suspect those may have been from owners of Mk 7s and not 7.5s since the lower valence on the 7.5 is slightly different.

Anyway, the bumper now fit better to the extent that I was now able to secure the final two plastic T-15 torx fasteners under the valence (between the hitch and the exhaust on both sides of the hitch). One attached easily now - was maybe off by 1 cm before. The other one on the driver's side was still off fractionally and when I shined a light inside the bumper I could see that one of the plastic clips used to connect parts of the valence was hitting the lower outside edge of the hitch bar. I clipped a tiny but of the plastic off - maybe 0.5 - 1 cm and the obstruction to connecting the final lower T-15 fastener was solved.

All it all, a good looking / stealthy hitch setup. Working well so far with my 1up rack.

jlivingood

Passed Driver's Ed
BTW, has anyone else had an issue (with a bike on the rack) of the automatic parking brake activating when reversing? It seems there's a way to deactivate it on a one-time basis on the screen when reversing. I'm wondering if there's a persistent way to do it? It is a real PITA - had it kick in when doing a 3-point turn.

IDontLikeSpam

BTW, has anyone else had an issue (with a bike on the rack) of the automatic parking brake activating when reversing? It seems there's a way to deactivate it on a one-time basis on the screen when reversing. I'm wondering if there's a persistent way to do it? It is a real PITA - had it kick in when doing a 3-point turn.

I believe you can disable it more permanently through either the menu that comes up when you push the button on the end of the left-hand control stalk, or through the center screen menus, starting with the CAR button > Settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79_Limited

Hello I am a new 2016 Golf R owner here. Can someone help me measure the clearance from the bottom of the hitch opening to the ground. I will be using 1 1/4 hitch receiver to transport a small Vespa using the single Trailer in a Bag.

I had a 2013 Beetle TDI and it towed fine and had plenty of clearance. I just want to make sure before I order it.

jlivingood

Passed Driver's Ed
Can someone help me measure the clearance from the bottom of the hitch opening to the ground.

Just walked out to garage to check for you. Looks like roughly 8.5 inches.

Attachments

• IMG_7038.JPG
    IMG_7038.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 507

Albuquerque Lurker

Do you guys mind sharing which specific ecohitch you purchased? The product finder on the Torklift website takes me to a link for a free ecohitch if I can get my car to Kent, WA. Apparently they're in need of guinea pig cars to develop the standard. I most assuredly do not want to take my car that far and would prefer to do the modifications you all have described in this thread. Thanks much!

jlivingood

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you guys mind sharing which specific ecohitch you purchased? The product finder on the Torklift website takes me to a link for a free ecohitch if I can get my car to Kent, WA. Apparently they're in need of guinea pig cars to develop the standard. I most assuredly do not want to take my car that far and would prefer to do the modifications you all have described in this thread. Thanks much!

I got the 2015-2017 Volkswagen Golf R EcoHitch, SKU: x7333, hitch size 1.25 inch. This is the one: https://torkliftcentral.com/2015-2017-volkswagen-golf-r-ecohitch

Langer1

Passed Driver's Ed
Just installed ecohitch on my 2018. I didn’t need to enlarge the holes on mine.
There is one fitment issue for my car. The tabs where diffuser clips into rest of bumper cover collide with the hitch. It’s not a big deal, it just causes the middle most plastic clips on bottom of diffuser to not line up. Every other screw and clip can engage. You’ll also need to trim more from your diffuser than is depicted in instructions. Mine still flexes up a little, but it’s not noticeable unless you’re looking for it.
Overall, a fairly easy install compared to our 2012 a3 hatch that I did a few years ago. That was a pain.
Hopefully they update the hitch for 2018 cars to address the small issues.

Last edited:

jlivingood

Passed Driver's Ed
Just installed ecohitch on my 2018. I didn’t need to enlarge the holes on mine.
There is one fitment issue for my car. The tabs where diffuser clips into rest of bumper cover collide with the hitch. It’s not a big deal, it just causes the middle most plastic clips on bottom of diffuser to not line up. Everything other screw and clip can engage. You’ll also need to trim more from your diffuser than is depicted in instructions. Mine still flexes up a little, but it’s not noticeable unless you’re looking for it.
Overall, a fairly easy install compared to our 2012 a3 hatch that I did a few years ago. That was a pain.
Hopefully they update the hitch for 2018 cars to address the small issues.

That was my experience as well on my 2018 - works fine though.

Langer1

Passed Driver's Ed
That was my experience as well on my 2018 - works fine though.
Agree. Just a couple fiddly points with fitment. I couldn't wait for one specific to the 2018s since my GTI (current bike transport car) is being sold today.
Took about 2.5 hours total to get the hitch on. Probably spent 30 minutes just getting the screws in wheel well (under liner) reinstalled...those were probably the worst part. It's probably best to do that part on jackstands or have a jack handy if you're on ramps (to increase working room).

jlivingood

Passed Driver's Ed
Took about 2.5 hours total to get the hitch on. Probably spent 30 minutes just getting the screws in wheel well (under liner) reinstalled...those were probably the worst part. It's probably best to do that part on jackstands or have a jack handy if you're on ramps (to increase working room).

I had the same issue in the wheel well - was super frustrating. The 2nd time I did it I was prepared with some new tools, if for no other reason that it was an excuse to buy new tools! ;-)

Seriously though, the toughest ones in the wheel well that you mention I did with a cool, flexible shaft extension on my drill bit (with the correct torx bit dropped in obviously). It was only $5.99 on Amazon and the 2nd time I did the job (when I pulled the bumper to remove the foam piece I should have left out) it made it a breeze.

I also picked up a nice set of color-coded Wera torx wrenches for the job - but partly because I needed a decent set for working on my bicycles. Since these are all lightly torqued fasteners these weren't explicitly needed but I have recently stripped a few torx bolts due to having a crappy set of wrenches.

Lastly, while I didn't end up using it, I got a finger sized ratchet for a torx or other bit - may come in handy sometime.