GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Overhead Map/Courtesy lights

Finepics

Ready to race!
Thought I put this in a separate post as I'd read in another post that to remove the map/courtesy dome lights you need to access two slots from inside the sunglasses cubby to remove the console. I'm not sure if different Golf models have different consoles (obviously the sunroof models will differ) but mine was much easier to do. Just pry out the light unit with a plastic tool and bulb holders are in a twist out holder - dead simple!!

redbutcher

Ready to race!
That'll be my post then....you can actually see one of the slots at the rear of the sun glasses holder in your pics :). No prying required if you push a flathead screwdriver into the slots, it releases the clips and the unit drops down.

gtiw7

Ready to race!
Does anyone else find the lights to be really weak? Is it possible to make them brighter?

not weak, more like (guided?!) as VW said it is (LED Reading lights) very usful for reading without distracting the driver, you can have the rear or passenger light on for a whole trip and the driver won't notice it at all unlike older halogen lamps which tend to generate heat and distract the driver as well ;)

Finepics

Ready to race!
That'll be my post then....you can actually see one of the slots at the rear of the sun glasses holder in your pics :). No prying required if you push a flathead screwdriver into the slots, it releases the clips and the unit drops down.

Ah, yes, and you know what I completely misunderstood your original post. I thought the slots were accessed from inside the sunglasses cuuby, and strangely there are two rectangular slots, one on each side, within it which I was pressing with a screwdriver and nothing!! My bad but I guess the photo makes it a little clearer!!

Also notice I'm holding the unit the wrong way round!!

jackalope

Ready to race!

Is there a good way to remove the console if you don't have the sunglasses holder? I just have another panel behind the console