GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to translate OBD adaptation maps to English

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
If you want to try to figure out what most of the German language adaptation channels refer to in English, you can use Google Translate to translate most the german terms into English and make an offline searchable English database of adaptations. I did this for Module 9, Central Electrics, using the ODBeleven export feature. I imagine it would be similar with VCDS. To do this:

1. Export an admap for your module of interest and open it in Excel or Google Sheets, it should all be listed vertically in column A
  2. Copy all rows into a blank Word document, and save it
  3. In the Word document, search and replace all "-" and "_" with " " (single space) since words separated by those characters might trip up Google Translate
  4. Go to Google Translate, and select the option of translating a document
  5. Upload the saved Word document
  6. Copy the Google translated text, and paste it into column B of the Excel file or Google Sheets doc
  7. Type "1" in the top row of column C (cell C1).
  8. Type "2" in cell C2
  9. Highlight cells C1 and C2, and double-click the small rectangle in the bottom right corner of the highlighted cells. This will continue the count all the way down to the end of the admap lisht
  10. Click on Row A, go to the Insert menu, and select "Insert row above" to create a new row above the top row (which will move the top row of the admap to row B)
  11. Use row A to type in header titles for columns A and B (I named Column A "Original" and column B "English")
  12. Type in "Key" or "Row" in the column C header
  13. Select columns A, B an C in their entirety (do this by shift-clicking the top of columns A, B and C to highlight all the contents of those columns)
  14. Go to the Data menu and select "Create Filter" in Google Sheets or "Filter" in Excel. This will now make the columns in the header row (row A) filterable and searchable.
  15. Click on the triangle that now appears on the headers in row A and you can perform a filter search by word, or sort alphabetically

To return the admap back to its original state, sort column C "Low to High", which will resort the admap table back to its original state.

Since I don't know German, I've found some interesting adaptations this way just reading down the translated list.

Here's a view-only version of my module 9 admap exported from OBDeleven. I've added a fourth column, "Of interest". I add a "1" for every adaptation that looks like it might be worth researching more or fiddling around with. I can then sort the "Of interest" column so all of the adaptations I want to research move to the top. I make sure to add a "1" to both rows, the adaptation name and the adaptation value, so they both move to the top of the table when I sort by "Of interest". You'll see what I mean if you take a look:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vPlAiXxa7ek73Gupvc5Dt5vhpLXuzZpjHcSYQ-cSmdI/edit?usp=sharing